Quest Helper time for a much needed update.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ArieswarEQ, Nov 19, 2012.

1. ArieswarEQ New Member

Hello all and hello SoE if you read this.

I whanna start to point out that ive played many online games out there just name one and im sure ive played it, this goes from both subbed games like Tera,Wow,Daoc,Tibia Ect ect ect to normal F2P games.

I Played EQ2 a cupple of years back i think it was 2006 and i have the old dusty box i bought back then "yea u know the dude with the sword o_O" however back then I realized that yes this game is awsome in everyway when it comes to thinking what the player wants and needs Guild halls,Housing the cool TCG game u have and lots of specialization when it comes to your own epic character.

I reacently came back to EQ2 im ghonna buy a sub and also the expansions as for me the game is Free to try and not exactly free to play since you really need all those extras to make ur game experience the best one, however thats what i think when it comes to this and you really dont have to listen to me there How ever.....

Started my new character since i did not really want to start my lvl 18 shadowknight again just yet you know get a feal for the game once more can take some time and i noticed how well the questhelper actully works in New Hallas starting area ofcourse i tipped all my friends that New Hallas was the place to be atleast until 20 and the quest helper only failed once "Go to a special cave on a island(did not show)" wich was no big deal the quest was level 15 and after my girlfriend found out where it was i came back as lvl 18 to actully do the quest. So great work on New Hallas guys..

Now... lvl 20 i went to butcherblock mountains mainly because the name was epic *blink blink* and realized that the Quest helper worked for about 2 or 3 quests then boom nothing, was like it had resigned well after some talking and so on from the epic guild i joined I got the news that it ends there, after a few more levels im now 27-28 i realized that i was reading every single questline in hopes of understanding where i was going and it started to be more of a reading game then an actuall playing game :/.. Soo back to the drawing table i checked for any help possible and found an addon people used called EQ2maps well this aint the best way to do quests and im not happy with it even doh it helps im still typing names and doing the /Waypoint 121. 85, 155 ect ect ect(Feals like im still reading instead of playing the actuall game)

Many people i talked to now has agreed that the real awsome quest helper ingame could use a remake to make the game feal more alive, while others has told me that they like to read books(fine by me but thats not how i whanna play).

Ok then looking at other online games some have a built in quest helper system that you can turn off and back on depending on ur gaming style(I actully found this option in EQ2 aswell) meaning that there is no need for the roleplayer people to get pissed since they can just uncheck the option so this problem should not concern them at all. Thats why im now asking if more people think that SoE should spend some more time to make the Quest helper work past level 20 aswell and help us play the way we want? or are we supposed to trust addons to help us play?

Please Update The Quest Helper.

Thanks and please discuss this here.
  2. decator666 Member

I agree. It is possible to look of every coordinate for every quest, but it's a hassle. I have new friends who started a few weeks ago and luckily the first 20-30 levels have dots and tea stains on the map. Once they start getting into areas like everfrost it will be look up everything to get anything done which is pretty annoying for most people. I don't understand why they didn't put dots for all of the quests...
  3. Snowhaze Active Member

I agree, having just come back and leveling up, I found a few zones in the mid levels that didn't have the quest helper. After having it at the lower levels, it was quite a game change to get no help. I also downloaded EQ2Maps and used a couple of sites to figure everything out, which felt more like detective work than questing in a game, it was a little frustrating and for a while, I began to question if I really wanted to continue.

To the original poster, the quest helper does come back in higher level zones again.
  4. ZachSpastic Active Member

You could, you know, like read the quest dialog and figure it out how to play the quest yourself, rather than, you know, like having it spoon feed to you as you are led around the zone by your nose.
  5. decator666 Member

Oh sure, spend 3 hours to finish a quest, real productive. Yes you can try to figure out most quests in the game...but there are funner things to do that dabble on 1 quest for 3 hours.
  6. Tylia Well-Known Member

Wikia and Zam both have walkthrough guides with waypoints and step by step instructions. All the "work" has been done for you if you just take an extra second to look it up. If that is too much hassle for you, then as was previously suggested.. try reading the text. And if it takes you 3 hours to do each quest just because you have to read it, maybe you should take some classes in reading comprehension. Just saying... ;)
  7. ZachSpastic Active Member

The simple solution to that is don't do quests. Every zone has plenty of mobs wandering around to just grind on.

Plus, it's not as though the quests take any actual brain power to figure out.
  8. decator666 Member

Give it a rest. It isn't that isn't that it's hard to look up every quest on an external site. It is a pain in the behind. I am not playing this game to do homework, I am playing to have fun. To me, it's not fun to look up every coordinate for every quest. If you think it's fun then do it, me I will use dots.
  9. Zannah Active Member

So what does fun mean to you, exactly? It isn't reading and it isn't learning interesting things about the world and its lore. It's not killing monsters either, or gaining XP (as you can do that without questing). It's not rewards, as most of the time you could get far better rewards doing instances/raids than questing. Is it watching the number of completed quests going up?

I really don't get why you even bother doing quests if you don't like to read, explore or figure things out for yourself. The game offers plenty of other paths of levelling and getting rewards, and I would suggest you focus on them instead to find your fun.

I don't have anything against the quest helper, it would be fine if it was expanded, but I do hope it's pretty far down on the devs' list of priorities. In the meantime, why don't you download EQ2Maps? It has the majority of quests and quest dots available to you in game. All you have to do is open your map and search/look!
  10. Snowhaze Active Member

I'm surprised people are arguing against it honestly. I ran into more than one quest I had difficulty figuring out, even with reading all of the text, even with EQ2 maps and browsing the internet, and more than a few times I had to look at multiple websites to figure out and more than a couple of quests I never finished.

I played EQ1 from the beginning and just about every other MMORPG since then and if its a turn off for me to have to research outside of the game to figure something out, imagine what new players will think when they suddenly go from a quest helper to nothing but a wall of text. I think we can all agree that it would be nice if the game continued to grow. If you want someone immersed in the game, don't give them a reason to leave it, even if only for a few minutes of research.
  11. decator666 Member

I enjoy questing and getting the house items and cash rewards for quests. It's the reason I quest rather than just killing mob after mob. I am able to figure out how to find quests sometimes without looking them up, but then sometimes it's not so easy and going to Wiki or dropping the quest is the only option.

Yes it is kind of annoying to the new player who comes into the game wondering where to go and what to do on new quests. It's not appealing in a game this massive to be forced to research every step of your quest. True some quests are easy and don't need to be looked up at all even without dots, but in this game, the quests can be very immerse and challenging (which is a good thing). And maybe it's fun for some to go out of the game to the internet and poke around on wiki (which is very very slow on some computers) and try to figure out how to use coordinates (if you are new), just to finish a quest.

Not all of us have been playing this game for 100 years. I have only been playing 6 months and my friends are completely new. And it is a very expansive and deep game (which is why I like it). We are not stupid or even lazy just because we want some interactive maps to help us along the journey of leveling and enjoying this great game.
  12. Tylia Well-Known Member

Download and install eq2maps and you will have a very useful map to help you along on your journey, and yes, the blue dot poi's do show up on this map, along with all the player added icons for mobs, quest updates, names, even shiny's.
    http://maps.eq2interface.com/index.php?action=download
  13. decator666 Member

I don't use addons because they crash my system. Thanks for the info though.