Quest helper for tradeskill writs

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Mindsway, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Feldon Well-Known Member

Crafting has already been streamlined so much that I am just about comatose after 20 minutes of crafting. Please don't take out any more interactivity.
  2. Mindsway Well-Known Member

Like I said this would mostly help those of us who are trying to get the most writs done quickly when a progress potion is burning, it would make a HUGE difference when leveling this way. Feel free to type it in if you want the "challenge" but why deny it for those it would actually help?
  3. Elostirion Well-Known Member

90 seconds per writ is fast enough. ~4 hours to max a toon is fast enough. Thanks.
    Deveryn likes this.
  4. Deveryn Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Careful not to get yourself ignored, though. :p
  5. Feldon Well-Known Member

Or they could just put back Pristine Bonus for leveling.
  6. Mindsway Well-Known Member

I'd like to see someone do one of the writs with 6 different recipes from start to finish in 90 seconds.
  7. Elostirion Well-Known Member

No you wouldnt. Because then you might have to actually listen to one of the people trying to help you.
  8. Seiffil Active Member

It's easy, especially if you're talking about having a potion of progress burning during the same time. But you can also continue to ignore those people who are telling you that what you're asking for just isn't needed and continue to accuse us of trolling you just because we have differing opinions.
  9. Mindsway Well-Known Member

I guess reading isn't your strong point, but I already know and use the methods used. You're welcome to post a video doing a writ from start to finish with 6 different recipes in 90 seconds though.

You are also welcome to post an unedited vid showing how easy it is. I don't accuse people of trolling for having differing opinions, I accuse them of trolling when they troll (unless the guy I ignored was actually serious, in which case he's just beyond ignorant and still not worth my time).
  10. Elostirion Well-Known Member

Hi. 'pics or it didnt happen' is better left elsewhere. I do not lie or exaggerate. Seiffil does not lie or exaggerate. Deveryn (the guy you ignored) does not exaggerate, he was serious, and he is beyond ignorant (which is what we call knowledgeable).

You have a lot of people in this thread that are reputable, honest and informed. The fact that you are disagreeing with all of them should tell you something...
  11. Mindsway Well-Known Member

In other words you know you can't do it that fast and are instead hiding behind feigned outrage. Thanks for playing. Have a great day.
  12. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Who's the troll now?
  13. Seiffil Active Member

I think we all recognized him as the troll when he was talking about putting you on ignore for expressing an opinion. Basically the only thing anyone was guilty of was disagreeing with his idea.
  14. Mindsway Well-Known Member

Hey someone said my idea wasn't necessary because the writs only take 90 seconds. Just because I challenge that ridiculous claim doesn't make me the troll. Sorry if my being right is so painful for ya.
  15. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Mindsway, have you ever heard the phrase, "It isn't just what you say that counts, it is also how you say it."? (Well, technically, that's a sentence, not a phrase, but you know what I mean.)

Consider these two messages:

a) You are doing that wrong. You should perhaps try doing _________.

b) You suxxorz. L2P.

Both relay, essentially, the same information, but only the first one is actually helpful. (And the second is definitely trolling.)

I can't do a writ in 90 seconds without a progress potion going, but I'm 41 years old and my hands don't respond as well as they did 20 years ago. I do usually finish them (regardless whether it is six of one item, three each of two, two each of three, or six separate items), with between 5 min 30 sec and 6 min left on the countdown timer. So that is 2.5 - 3 minutes per writ with no potion going. With progress potions, I usually finish with between 6 min 30 sec and 7 min (a few have been faster, but not by much). With innovation potions, it is less than 50 seconds (but I only use those on writs where it is either six of one item, or three of two items).

(Edit: Removed a comma that didn't belong.)
  16. Mindsway Well-Known Member

Rotherian it works both ways. It seems like there's a lot of anger that I don't just abandon my suggestion because people have suggested alternatives. I'm perfectly aware of the alternatives, and while they save time NONE of them would save nearly as much time as having the recipes on the quest helper.

The fact is that if my suggestion were implemented it would make the most efficient use of time when crafting writs. Considering that one recipe with progress pots takes roughly 15 to 20 seconds to do, 6 recipes would take 90 to 120 seconds with just the crafting itself. However that doesn't count both locating and switching to each of the recipes. So from hailing to get the quest, clicking the board, finding the recipes, crafting them and switching between the recipes, and then turning it in the time goes well beyond that. Claiming that the whole writ only takes 90 seconds is both patently false and only serves to trivialize my suggestion unnecessarily, just because someone doesn't like the way I disagree with the naysayers?

The only area where I'm losing time unnecessarily is with the locating the recipes and switching between them. How much can vary greatly, depending on the class of crafter and the tier of the writs. Yes some of them only have a few recipes and/or all of them have similar names and in those cases it won't make much of a difference. But in some other writs there are several tiers to go through and several different items to craft and all their names can be very different (certain tiers of jeweler and carpenter come to mind, *shudder*), in which case the time wasted in finding them all is far worse.

To me there's a different between challenge and time sink. Experimenting is a challenge, it requires concentration and tenacity. Writs like I describe above are not challenging, they just involve the wasting of a lot of time. And this time wasted can really add up, especially when a progress potion is burning. It can make the difference in how many writs can be done with each pot, and for me at least the pots are precious and few. In my main account I have plenty but in my other accounts where I'm trying to level some crafters it's not the case.

It's not about trivializing content, it's about leveling the playing field for ALL tradeskill classes in all tiers. But whenever anyone dares to suggest something that will make anything a bit easier you always have guys coming out of the woodwork that oppose it just for the sake of opposition and it gets tiring. Or make dumb statements like the guy I put on ignore, that say because I'm discussing things here that I have time to spare. Remarks like these add nothing to the discussion and I won't hesitate to say so, and I'm not going to let the topic get derailed by arguing irrelevant points.

This isn't about ease or about how much time I have free in the course of a day, this about uniform efficiency WHEN we craft and there's nothing wrong with wanting to improve that. Sorry for the wall of text, everyone have a good day.
  17. Ndiar Active Member

Honestly, you must have never played EQ1 if your complaining about how long/difficult it is to level tradeskills. They put a giant EASY button on it. All games have a certain about of timesink involved in them. It is just how proportional they are to the reward to keep you online and paying customer.
  18. Mindsway Well-Known Member

Once again, this isn't about ease, this is about uniform efficiency. I don't care how easy or hard crafting is/was in any other game, that bears no relevance to this issue. This is about reducing time wasted on crafting writs.
  19. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Well, yes and no. In EQ, it could be a massive timesink if you had a bad run of the RNG, but since the RNG runs in streaks, you could also hit it at a good time and get a skillup every other combine. Add to that the fact that you didn't have to find/locate/purchase recipe books in EQ - all you had to do was have plenty of resources and experiment or head over to EQTraders and find the recipe there, then put the required items in the slots and hit combine. Whereas here in EQ2, it requires a bit more than just hitting a single button once to make something - it requires 3-6 buttons several times. (Note: the last time I crafted in EQ was 2005, so it could very well have changed since then.)
  20. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Nothing has changed since then. The one-click combines were a great act of kindness, but EQ1's tradeskill timesink is still much worse than EQ2. Getting the materials you need to level up your skills takes many hours of farming. I've been playing on and off for the past 13 years and I only just got a second tradeskill to 300. To fuss over the speed of EQ2's crafting is like fussing over how slow it takes to receive an email vs. receiving snail mail.