Provisioners...Just wondering.

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-EQZurra, Nov 11, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-EQZurra Guest

I have a lvl 73 provisioner atm.. and a carpenter, armorer, jeweler, and tailor..
    With all the other crafters they get refreshed for mana/HP when they counter reactions..
    My question is, why doesn't my provisioner?

Is it a glitch..an oversight..?
    She's really feeling the mana loss and having to wait for mana to come back now that she's at the higher end of the TS recipes.

Was just wondering what the answer is..Thanks.
  2. ARCHIVED-Val Guest

I don't know the answer, wish I did.
    I just know its frustrating and makes my cooking very mcuh a drudgery.
    Or...an opportunity to catch up on my reading while I stand by my stove waiting for more power, which is what I am doing right now.
  3. ARCHIVED-Oakleafe Guest

The answer is that not all trade skill classes are created equal. The details have been posted elsewhere (GL with the search!) but basically each of the three branches have slightly different beneficial actions, as the three nranches split there are further (generally minor) differences and one of the ones the provisioners didn't get was the mana regens (actually I think there is one reaction that does regen but it's one of the rarer ones).
    What provisioners do get is a heal (which for decent crafters is useless, admittedly) and a couple of reactions arts that if you just press the single art at the appropriate time (i.e. correctly reacting) give guaranteed and very positive results (I don't mean the rare events, these are the normal ones; Heat Loss is an example), and I generally find if you don't "spam" the following cycle you also get a beneficial result. If you correctly react to these special events when they occur and occasionlly miss out the power using art in a cycle or two you should have less power issues in the future.

EDIT: The two specials are HEAT LOSS and FLAVOUR LOSS (note: no minor or majors, just the varietys spelt here). On my level 20+ provie one always gives a +16 +100 result and the other gives a +22 +100 result (always "Critical success!"). Generally the next cycle, if I leave buttons unpressed will also give positive results. This means that 2 cycles worth of power will regen, in case you hadn't worked that out! lol
  4. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

Make sure you have good drink equipped. Meaning, drink that's not below your level. If you are level 12, you want level 20 drink. Level 25? Use level 30 drink, and so on.
  5. ARCHIVED-vasio Guest

If cooking up some food and drink for myself or friends, or doing writs, I'll use the Totem of the Goblin. It keeps my mana high and I never have to wait. Although if you're cooking for profit it will add more cost to your product
  6. ARCHIVED-EQZurra Guest

Thanks for the replies and the information.

I'll have to check out a lower lvl totem since my provisioner is a low lvl adv.

Thanks again.
  7. ARCHIVED-grymmstone Guest

I would also suggest getting your power and health pool as low as you can... i.e strip off all armor and jewelry before crafting. With the smaller power pool your regen from foodstuffs and totems will have a greater effect. I cooked from 70-80 this way and had very little down time between combines.
  8. ARCHIVED-Ohiv Guest

grymmstone wrote:
    DING DING DING we have a winner!!
    Basically do /inventory unequip all, and then make sure you have the best drink and your gtg for crafting large quanties without downtime. This is how I delt with writs or making large batches of food for me or my alts.
  9. ARCHIVED-Val Guest

Ohiv wrote:
    I have a fuzzy memory of it being intimated that removing all of ones gear to regenerate power would no longer be necessary after some update or other was done to us.
    Thus my wondering if it was related to crafting class situations. Why would my adventure level 80, well equipped dirge with great food and drink have even small power pauses?
    In general, I use only one "power cost" reactive per ...round, you know...between the sounds. Curious.
  10. ARCHIVED-Oakleafe Guest

Valsehna@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Getting your health pool low is irrelevant, and pretty silly TBH. Yes, if you fail to react to an event correctly you can be damaged, but not by much so the lower the health the more likely you will suffer badly. However, the "fix" for this is to NOT fail to counter the event!
    The cost of power/mana is still a percentage of the total, whereas the regen is a set amount; this means that the removal of all gear that adds to the power pool will still help regain power more quickly. However, most trade skill class no longer really suffer from power loss issues so you will often see the comments about "crafting nekkid" being a thing of the past. However, as pointed out in this thread, the provisioners do not have the reaction arts mana-regen reward that most other crafters benefit from so stripping off (although dangerous with all that boiling liquid) is a valid option for someone who cannot work out how to use less power.
    Personally, I have never stripped for crafting as I felt it is against the RPG principals, and since the trade skill revamps I no longer worry about using a totem BUT I do always make sure I have a decent enough drink.
    The real key, IMHO, is not to be blinkered into thinking that you have to press the same one or two sequences of buttons every cycle. You are not an unthinking machine or a robot (I hope!) or a PC (despite MS's latest adverts!) so don't act like one, use a little imagination and variety and you'll find that managing your power usage is not so hard after all.
  11. ARCHIVED-Tinrae Guest

Just wanted to say thanks to all the informative replies here even though it was directed to the OP.
    As a newer player I wasn't aware of any of the crafting processess before, and I never understood why my provisioner specifically had power issues while none of my other crafters did. I always use good drink (am a provi, after all!), and trade off some of my adventuring equipment for crafting gear (charms, tunic, cape, ring, etc) but still have downtime only on that crafter.
    I'll have to try completely stripping down next time I make a mound of food, or use the totem mentioned, and see if that helps!
  12. ARCHIVED-AziBam Guest

If you don't like the look of crafting with no gear on you can always pick up some of the various appearance items and equip them. There are several types including status gear from city merchants as well as just plain appearance level 1 garments that are on the broker. Neither of these options have any stats at all so you will get the desired effect of a smaller power pool but still be wearing some clothing (if that's important to you.)
    I don't have a prov. Have to say it's kind of lame that you all get the shaft on the power bump from hitting a reaction art correctly. That said, the majority of my (and many others too) TS levels were achieved without that little benefit (before it existed) so it certainly can be done. As another poster above hinted at, if you spam the buttons as part of your crafting work just shy away from the ones that use power if you start to get low. Read the descriptions of the abilities to sort out which two (one progress and one durability) are the ones that pull from your power pool.
  13. ARCHIVED-KerowynnKaotic Guest

EQZurra wrote:
    heh. I have to say I've never noticed. Of course my provisioner is a Dirge and I don't use the power consuming hotkeys that often.
    Actually, that applies to all of my crafters. I craft in full armor, always have. And, when I am low on power, I just don't use the power consuming hotkeys, except for countering, and seldom have an issue that a quick drink would't fix. *shrug*
  14. ARCHIVED-Thunderthyze Guest

Ohiv wrote:
    I was going to say that my level 72 provisioner doesn't have any problems at all.....but then she's only level 33 adventuring. So, I'll just shut up.
  15. ARCHIVED-Loredena Guest

The tradeskill reactions never had a positive OR a negative impact for provisioners, beyond the basic plus/minus to durability and progress, and I don't think that has changed.
  16. ARCHIVED-Paramir Guest

i find manastone helps alot. Between the full recharge at each 10% exps and manastone, it is rare that i don't use the power consuming button almost every round. Lev 63 monk/71 prov.