Progressive PvP server

Discussion in 'PvP & Battlegrounds' started by Intenzive, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Fetish Well-Known Member

Won't happen. I can't help but feel that they know this...and it scares them. There is someone in charge who has a vision for PvP in "their" game...and that vision is the PvP equivalent of a Facebook game that we have now with BGs. "Everyone is a winner! Trade in 3 small prizes for one medium, and 3 mediums for a large! Just keep clicking! ...and be sure to visit our Marketplace when you are done!" That is the game they want to be successful. An instant gratification, everyone wins, eat your PvP in a convenient travel size kinda game. ...and they will do anything at all to make that flawed vision become reality. SOE will prop up the back drops and praise the few people that still log into BGs...and those few people left will try their best to convince everyone that BGs are amazing. There are people who remember though...they remember the living breathing filled to capacity red servers. They remember the multiple huge guilds on each side PvPing against each other. They remember events where they were running through the Claymore Quest..or even back as far as the Peacock Questline, PvPing as they went. Those people remember epic timelines of open world PvP battles, making an enemy faction work for their raid night, blocking contested mob pulls, fighting as a group of 20 against an entire server, getting the last update you needed while people PvP'd. You know what the new age of PvP'ers get to remember? The last time they ALT+Z'd.

Whoever it is at SOE that wants their "new vision" of PvP knows this. He knows that he can't put enough lipstick on his "new vision" to make people see it for anything other than it is...a failure. But he doesn't care...he will discount all of the game world building memories that people had of Venekor, Nagafen, and Vox and expect you to roll through the drive through PvP window for your next PvP burger... Whoever you are at SOE...keep pushing that vision. You are driving the name of EQ further and further into the place where regrets are, and totally discounting the value of all the great memories that you gave people that you could have capitalized on. Overly dramatic? Maybe...but I know many f the people I used to play with on the red servers feel this way...or at least felt this way before they abandoned all SOE products due to what happened. Remember the SWG crap...and how SOE could pretend that it was Lucas Arts that really was the one that ruined it? Well this corpse that is whats left of the red servers and the best PvP game that ever existed...is all SOE's fault.
    Slant likes this.
  2. quester770 Member

What exactly is a progressive server? I'm guessing maybe it means it tried to reproduce the way the game was back when only certain expansions were out/when it was different.
    Siren likes this.
  3. Trasor Active Member

Exactly that Quester, the goal is to achieve the romanticized "old days," which had its problems for sure, like procs that were over-powered, etc. But the model for the game was better, the content that we were playing was better, and those were the days when the stats actually made some sense.

Sheep does bring up a good point, but I would honestly say that the people that are here are hoping that we can go back in time. I am kicking myself everyday for the breaks I took back in TSO/RoK...what was I doing....
    Siren likes this.
  4. quester770 Member

5. kafodoo Active Member

This idea is nothing but positive, and the only people making it negative are the ones that like playing an easy game and think they are the best players in the game when in all reality they use to get spam killed back when pvp took skill, and good players played the game. But lets face it, pvp in completely dead, the game is broken, and the population is low. We all know eq2 is almost dead, and once eqnext is out it will definitely be dead. Of course, we should leave our memories in the past, but eq1 has a classic server, so eq2 should have one to.
    Siren likes this.
  6. Slant Well-Known Member

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Old_School_RuneScape

I would be fine with something like this. Or kickstarter it. Hell SOE could make it a money making opportunity not a money sink. I dont see why they couldn't at least poll it... that doesn't cost them a thing.
    kafodoo likes this.
  7. Fetish Well-Known Member

Because that one guy who wants everyone to like his version of instanced, drive through window, everyone wins a prize PvP won't admit defeat. He would rather watch the red servers all die, and he has, and soon all the people who care about the amazing population and environment of the old red server(s!) will be gone. Their carcass can then be swept under the rug and he can point to how amazing his new PvP environment is, pretending that there never were multiple red servers all filled to capacity. All the while the same 24 people chain queue for BG after BG like bots.
    kafodoo likes this.
  8. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

Agreed, lets start small. We need to try and get a poll going, then spread the word and contact all the vets and more who have been waiting for this. Then we can decide on a kickstarter. Sadly i don't know if this section of the forums gets reviewed by the devs, so we might have to post in another section for attention just to get a poll going.

Edit: Also just noticed nothing in this section of the forums shows up when you click the "What's New?" tab at the top of the screen. Everything but pvp/bg's lmao
    Fetish and kafodoo like this.
  9. kafodoo Active Member

I agree, we need to get a kick starter going and in a matter of months we can get this to work.
  10. quester770 Member

I've only been playing since 09, but I remember when people used to comment when you were in MC gear, that it was somewhat of a big deal, or at least good deal.
  11. kafodoo Active Member

SOE has ruined pvp to the fullest extent, and I will be the one to say that eq2 had the best pvp system than any other game.
    Fetish likes this.
  12. kafodoo Active Member

13. Slant Well-Known Member

I did some digging over there after I started the tread. It is by no means a small undertaking. They have a very small team and a very large task. That being said it seems to me like the best bet for ever getting a time locked pvp server.

If you have experience with C/C++ , lua, php or even just doing data you should head over and hop on their SVN and look around. I'm just a lowly net admin and only have enough knowledge of scripting to make my job easier, but if we can get the ball rolling over there i'll do my part. You can be damn sure they could use the help.
  14. Trasor Active Member

I am assuming this is a third party program?
  15. Trasor Active Member

Also, is there a way to donate to their cause for pvp purposes?
  16. Balbasur Active Member

any one know multi threading?
  17. Slant Well-Known Member

Not that im aware of. Maybe if we can drum up some support we could get the team over there to setup a donations page.
  18. Trasor Active Member

If there was a place that honestly recreated TSO and Raiding I would put up the $$ for it. I am not sure SOE realizes that about its pvp, it honestly could be its best sell point...no 3 button pvp, actual tactics, and a great story line.

Of course, they would have to dull the gear treadmill
    kafodoo likes this.
  19. Biotic Member

It aint gon happen
  20. Nanno New Member

Wonder how long something like this would take to actually be playable.