Problems running EQ2 on new computer

Discussion in 'Performance Support' started by ARCHIVED-Tlam, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Tlam Guest

My husband bought me a new computer after the last one died. We both raid and my laptop wasn't up to the task. I've had the new computer three days and am having some problems, generally during a group or raid. Crafting is fine heh.
    The problem: after playing about 30 minutes, the screen does a split second flash. This can happen several times in quick succession. Then the mouse cursor graphics change, but performance doesn't seem to be affected in any other way. The screen flashes continue irregularly. Within about 15-30 minutes, the screen goes completely grey, though tonight it turned an odd mix of red and white squiggles, and then back to a locked up EQ2 screen. This has happened five times in the three days.
    I had already downloaded DirectX 11. Guild members suggested I check my graphics card driver, so I installed the recommended driver from the website. I'm not technical at all. My husband isn't much help either. Someone suggested installing DirectX 9C, but now I can't seem to find where DirectX 11 is to confirm that's what I downloaded in the first place.
    Here's the specs to the machine:
    AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz Black Edition
    Asus M5A97 Motherboard
    AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB Graphics card
    G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory
    500GB 7200RPM SATA
    22x DVD+/-RW
    Velocity IW-C583 Mid Tower
    Power Man 500W Power Supply (3x18A on 12V)
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit)
    If you have any suggestions, please be as specific as possible - if you tell me to check the chipset driver for example (another guildie suggestion) I have no idea how to find out what driver is being used and then what one should be used. A step by step play would be much appreciated, if anyone has the time or inclination!
    Meanwhile, waiting to hear back from the company that built the machine, as they recommended this machine for playing EQ2!
    Thanks.
  2. ARCHIVED-TSR-MattG Guest

That sounds very much like a heat related graphics card failure. If you have a temperature monitoring program (or dont mind installing one) could you post your temperatures while in-game, preferably when the issues start happening?