Preloading assets every time I open the Launcher

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Esquilax, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Esquilax New Member

When I click on the Launcher it starts to preload assets automatically. It does this every time I open the game. Is this normal? I can enter the game just fine but I don't know if the game is downloading files over and over again for no reason. If it isn't a normal thing that happens, does anybody know how I can fix it?
  2. dorotea Well-Known Member

There are two options for playing the game. One is a full download - after which the launchpad should just check quickly to see that the game is installed before you begin a new session. The other is a partial download where you are essentially streaming files each time you play. The latter works slowly and poorly and is highly undesirable unless there is a compelling need to use it e.g. lack of space to hold the entire game on the computer or download restrictions making a full download impossible in less than days or weeks or months.
    Esquilax, Dude and Tierisch like this.
  3. Esquilax New Member

Thanks a lot, Dorotea. I'll definitely look into doing the full download.
    Dude likes this.
  4. Ryoga Member

I never understood why the streaming option is the default or why the streaming thing is a necessary feature at all.
  5. dorotea Well-Known Member

It certainly shouldn't be the default, I agree. I suppose it is a useful feature if someone cannot download the game for one of many reasons, or just wants to do something quick and non-demanding for half an hour on a computer that doesn't have it.
    Tkia and PsiberDaemon like this.
  6. PsiberDaemon Active Member

yeah, I never got into the streaming version of the game. I always preferred having the full version ready and waiting.
  7. Zolar New Member

I've been having this issue ever since I returned to the game early this year. I have it set to not stream and yet this still persists. Reinstall did not fix the issue. Contacted support about it twice and I was not given any solutions other than the typical suggestions I already troubleshot on my own. The good thing is that I can still play and just ignore the broken load bar info.
    Getting tired of all the bugs, though -it tends to push me away and drives me to play something else that doesn't cause so much frustration.