Post SF guardian re-spec for returning player

Discussion in 'Guardian' started by ARCHIVED-Roybob, Mar 6, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Roybob Guest

Greetings!
    I was a constant EQ2 player from launch until almost exactly a year ago (as of Mar 2010), with dwarf guardian as my main. I then took a sabbatical and am only now returning. During that year our traits and AAs were reset. At least one AA tree (Warrior) has been altered. Due to length of time away and my deplorable memory I no longer recall what my old setup was, or which options are preferred in various situations. (An aside. The one thing I DO recall is that the WISDOM line always looked good to me on paper, yet no one liked it. Is this still true?) I looked through this forum and didn't see a lot of recent advice ... most is pre-SF.
    What are the latest theories on good Guardian specs? Bear in mine that my guardian is currently level 80 with somewhat obsolete (but not wretched) gear, and roughly 170AA. Also, he used to be a fairy decent group tank but was never a raid tank. I don't foresee that changing to any great extent. That's not saying I don't want raid quality specs. Just that if raid-tank and group-tank specs differ markedly, I'll be apt to side with group-specs. (But provide both!)
    He will prolly do a lot of soloing (to the extent guardians can solo), and at least for the short-term would like the ability to join groups as a DPS non-tank.
    So far as I know we can still switch between two spec sets. (Is this still the case?) What is the ideal combo that best cover all scenarios?
    Oddly, I no longer recall what to pick on the first (non-AA) tab. Seems like we always went for either str or sta when those traits were offered. But which? Or are there better options?
    Sorry for all the newb questions, but it's now all Greek to me.
    Thanks in advance!
    -Roybob-
  2. ARCHIVED-Broma Guest

I'm interested as well, the information here seems a little old and most posts are about end game rading. I just started and I'm more worried about soloing and figuring things out, what works, etc.
  3. ARCHIVED-MJDevos Guest

You can find multiple specs here and other forums about Guardian AA setups.
    What I can give you is the following general overview.
    Warrior Tree
    1 pt in Bind Wound
    In the Agility Line work down to Dragoon's Cyclone and max it out. Auto AE Attack is very helpful with multiple mob encounters.
    In the Intelligence line work all the way down to the End line ability (Recovery and Reuse). Can't remember but put many points in Acceleration Strike so that it is up all the time.
    Some then put points in Strength and go down to Weapon Expertise (Crit Bonus) or Executioner's Anger (Hate Gain and +base Taunt)
    Points in Stamina line to at least Gladiator's Finesse and max out for the double attack.

Guardian Tree
    You want at least two of the endline abilities ... Block and Double Attack.
    Work down the Crippling line for more dps / debuffing but if you have your mythical you do not need the endline ability.
    Put points in Rescue(3) and Reinforcement (5).

TSO Tree
    This depends on what you want to do, some guardians pump up their dps, other go defensive, and some do combination of both. Up to your personal choice.

SF Warrior Line
    The best one is the Int Line to further increase your reuse ability by another 8 percent.
    The Wisdom will increase your Total Mit by 4 percent in defensive stance and 4 percent increased hit rate in offensive stance.
    The other contender for what ability to spend points on would be the stamina line to give reversal a threat proc as well.
    Experience Insight at level 2 (end line ability)

SF Guardian Line
    Best ones to pick are Reiforcement (to extend to 18 seconds), Guardian's Phalanx to reduce times on Block and Tower of Stone, If just doing instances mainly then Improved Moderation or raiding then Fight through Death (remove death pent from UW). Some put extra points in Aggressive Entry, but you definitly want the endline ability Last Man Standing.