Poor new players

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Dank, Dec 21, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Dank Guest

Any tips for newbies trying to make some plat? Seems like everyone has a lvl 80 character with plenty of cash and the prices for some equipment are through the roof. I played EQ1 years ago and don't remember being this poor. Do you just have to suck it up and wait until your main reaches a certain lvl? Also what about all the websites selling plat. Its against the rules right?
  2. ARCHIVED-Nagasraka Guest

My highest level character is mid 40's but I usually have enough money to buy what I need. My suggestion would be to harvest everything and sell rares that you don't need on the broker. You can also try selling shinies (collectables) that you don't need. If you get gear drops that are treasured quality or better and you don't need it, sell that too.
  3. ARCHIVED-Elorah Guest

You can also sell the harvests that you do not need. Some of them are good sellers (ore, Loam, roots.....)

Any treasured items that you obtain through killing mobs can also be sold on the market for a few GP in some cases thanks to transmuters....
  4. ARCHIVED-Kahlef Guest

Another tip, if you like crafting, try getting a tradeskill that makes consumables like woodworking (totems, arrows, etc.) or provisoner (foods and drinks) they sell faster than other tradeskills like armorer and weaponsmiths. Those last two people only really need to buy once every tier so don't sell so fast.
  5. ARCHIVED-Vanderlay Guest

You also may want to do as many quests as you can at your level. The rewards aren't the greatest, but it will add up when you sell the vendor trash and put cheap treasured gear on the market for transmuters. Better still, you may want to disable your combat experience to gain your AA's while still low level as well. Many of the lowbie quests are simple and do not require a group to complete.
  6. ARCHIVED-Ticker123 Guest

I made a new toon and in 2 days just selling shinies I made 3p.
  7. ARCHIVED-Dank Guest

Seems like the cards are still stacked against you money wise. Stuff on the broker either sells for 2c or multiple plat. Guess i will just suck it up and try my best. Its hard though when you see a ton of other low lvl characters that you know are alts because of all the gear they have. Just seems like unless you have a capped main you are going to be playing catch up with the rest of the players.
  8. ARCHIVED-Karrane1 Guest

Remember too that transmuters are always looking for any level adept 1's for transmuting ).. and they go for around 4 to 5 gold each on the broker.. Same goes for the legendary gear that is in chests. So, find a good spot that drops alot of chests and do a little leveling in that area for the chests.
  9. ARCHIVED-fogcat Guest

You know you asked for advice and there are some good tips here so to go back after the advice and say "*sigh* I guess I have to suck it up" seems like what was said was pointless. The key to low level money is harvests, tradeskilling, and selling on broker. Some sell commons, some sell shinies, some sell rares...
    I like to have each of my toon independent so I might provide bags with my tailor, but in general each of my new toons has to sink or swim with money. It took me several alts, but my best bet was making Mastercrafted stuff with rares and selling them on broker. At Tier 1 and Tier 2, rares drop like rain (comparitively speaking) and while you don't usually get plats for them, you can get some decent change AND level up in tradeskilling swiftly. I usually have a couple plat within a couple days.
  10. ARCHIVED-Jrral Guest

One of the most reliable ways to earn coin is harvesting. Check the broker for the prices on low-tier raws, ones you've got areas greyed out on so you can harvest without worrying about aggro. Those raws often are priced relatively high since few people are harvesting the low tiers regularly. For tier 1, Oakmyst Forest is a good harvesting area. For tier 2, parts of Antonica (up between Ardent Needle Keep and the Oracle Tower, for instance, or in the fields by McQuibble Farm (which is also relatively aggro-free as long as you stay on the fields)). Clear-cut (harvest all nodes of all types) to maximize the respawns of the desirable types. Rares are nice, but the commons will make you the most money because you'll simply have more of them.
    Treasured gear from mobs is another source of income. It doesn't matter whether it's good gear or not, just whether it's got the Treasured and Attuneable flags on it. Your market isn't adventurers, it's transmuters who need those items to break down to level up or to create raws. You want easily-killable humanoid mobs (the gnolls in Antonica are good choices for T2 gear, the fairies in Peat Bog for T1) that're just barely green to you (8-9 levels below you). Farm them for chest drops and Adept 1s you can sell.
    Also, conserve cash by not bothering with good gear on the way up. Until you hit about 22 you'll be levelling so fast it's not worth it to go with more than handcrafted gear and App 4 spells/CAs. Even up through 32 or higher if you're running in a duo and targetting solo overland mobs you won't need better than handcrafted/App4s to kill quickly. That'll help you conserve your coin.
    As for buying plat from those web sites, yes it's against the Terms of Service and if you're caught at the very least you'll find your bought plat (and anything you bought with it) removed and if you've done it repeatedly you can find your account suspended. There's also the direct financial risk. That plat-selling web-site wants you to give them all your credit-card information, so they can make charges to it. They promise not to misuse it. But every time they log in to the game to farm for the plat they sell to you or to hand over the plat you've bought, they promise SOE they won't engage in plat-selling. Their entire business is based around breaking promises, they simply can't operate if they don't. So what makes you think they'll take their promise to you any more seriously than their promise to SOE?
  11. ARCHIVED-Dank Guest

Thanks for your advice everyone. Sorry if I seemed <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0pt; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; color:windowtext;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> unappreciative.
  12. ARCHIVED-fogcat Guest

Dank wrote:
    Nah...I just need coffee.
  13. ARCHIVED-Sword_Reaver Guest

Dank wrote:
    That whole saying its not what you say its the way you say it.... yeah thats one bad thing about forums and is often the start of internet warfare on these boards.... sometimes ppl tend to take things the wrong way. Like if someone ran my dog over or slapped my baby this morning im prob not gonna be in a good mood and thus more likely to take things the wrong way.
  14. ARCHIVED-Inaya Guest

Harvest, quest, shinies... If you do those three things you should not be poor. The common harvests may not sell for a lot on the broker, but rares can bring in a pretty penny. Same with shinies, some are relatively inexpensive but others can bring in some decent cash.
  15. ARCHIVED-Brook Guest

Dank wrote:
    Buying plat is against the rules unless your on an exchange server.
    Making money at low levels is actually pretty easy even at lvl 1 and while crafting and selling raws is feasible its also slow and takes up way to much space when all you start with is 1 bag and 1 claimed bag.
    Collect every shiny you see.
    Instead of adding collection items to your collection check price on broker. Some items are wort a considerable amount because of the rarity of finding one and this varies server to server which items are the rarest. Those that wont bring you much money go ahead and add to your collection or sell as trash to vendor. Also items drop from mobs that are for completing quest, save those and check prices, adept books sell really well, junk low stat treasured jewelry as well. A good easy price I set at is lvl1-10 2g, 11-20 3g.
    For quick cash on items sell them at half what others are asking, your not loosing a thing in doing so because it didn't cost you anything in the first place. If sales are really good invest it in bigger bags and boxes so you can move more items at a time. You can make sometimes a few plat overnight.
    The most beneficial part of doing this is it helps lower prices for others just starting and when you do get to the upper levels and are pretty much self sustaining yourself earning money you can in turn buy the collectibles you missed for yourself thereby helping out someone else getting started.
  16. ARCHIVED-Jrral Guest

Brook wrote:
    Bags and boxes are an easily solved problem. Any character can craft all T1 recipes, any outfitter or craftsman can craft T2 bags and boxes respectively. You can get to level 9 artisan in maybe 20 minutes doing the crafting tutorial quest, which'll let you outfit yourself with 8-slot bags and boxes. Not large, but enough to get you started.
    Another money-saving technique: create two characters, make one a scholar and the other an outfitter, and level their crafting up to level 19 (the point at which you have to choose the exact crafting class). That'll let you make all your spells/CAs for all classes, and all armor, weapons and jewelry, for tiers 1 and 2. That should let you outfit your characters for fuel cost (except for shields and food, those require a craftsman) up through level 20.
  17. ARCHIVED-Aera Guest

There is a lot of great advice in this thread. The only thing I have to say is to just take it easy and enjoy the game. The plat will come with the levels.
  18. ARCHIVED-greenmantle Guest

Every one has made some great suggestions about making money but the other side of the coin is saving it. I actually started yet another alt recently and wanted to capture the woho dance arround the room feeling of when i got my first gold back when eq2 started. So no hands up from the 80's, make it find it or save for it or dont have it.
    Really for quite a while appIV will be enough talent wise so you can save a fortune over trying to buy Adepts.
    Taking a trade skill that provides your armor means you can make your own master crafted for a little time and fuel cost.
    Dont do collections, sell every water, bone, compost and shiny you find on the broker.
    Remember its not the gear that makes the game but the friends you find :)
  19. ARCHIVED-KoLAddict Guest

I just wanted to say thanks for the great info in this thread. I know I didn't create this topic, but it's a great help to me and I'm actually bookmarking this thread for future reference, which really doesn't happen often in a forum.

20. ARCHIVED-Egfrid Guest

I just started a new character at level 10 he earned around 30 gold.
    Tips.
    1. Remember your new toon will grow out of ANY gear you buy in a blink of an eye. It is a sellers market. If you do not want to be a transmuter sell any equiptment that you can. Adepts, rare, and even some treasured sell well. Transmuters need these to level.
    2. Craft
    I made all my armor on the Queens isle and even my weapon. You can now get to level nine crafting in the starting zone. Most starting zones are rich with harvest. The exception is Faydark. My character there found it hard to find harvest. The Queens isle, the evil version, and darklight are rich in harvesting nodes. As you get the stuff you need to make your armor and weapons, even spell scrolls and jewerly if you want, you will find rares and many of these sell really well. If you want to access the broker and make money quickly provisioner is probably your best bet. There are never enough people making low level provisions and you can often sell these at 7s or more a piece. That is 140 s or 1.4 gold a stack. It takes time but provisioner can be a low level cash cow since every class needs food and drink. Other skills are harder because often you are making something for a specific class.
    3. Harvest, Harvest, Harvest some more
    Believe it or not metals are some what expensive for a low level character. Even tin can make you some decent cash. Roots are needed for almost everything and sell well as well. Granted food harvest and malachite are usually cheaper than dirt.
    4. Do not feel you need any thing other than average gear before level 20. You don't it is even debatable if you need it before say 40 or 50. There is not a lot of content where uber is gear is anything more than a waste. You want raid until you are in you much further advanced so you don't need legendary gear. If you do buy it is a waste you will get to 20 in a couple of hours. If you find legendary or can make mastercrafted you give up the coin you can get for it on the broker.
    The most important thing is remember game content at low levels is easy. The newbie quest give you all the gear you need. Spell upgrades are not that important and almost a waste because you level so fast the spell is outdated before you know it. I find low levels an easy place to make money if you do it wisely. The other thing is the broker is a great way to judge how active the server is. I wasn't sure about my choice because I had not seen many people on my server. However, when in one hour most of my stuff was sold or someone had priced lower than me I knew the server was fairly active.