Poisons and their effects....

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by ARCHIVED-Dormammu, Nov 22, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Dormammu Guest

Wanted to start a post with the different poisons listed and what they do. As several are listed in game they must have some type of different effects.

One I just tried that I bought in the east freeport poison shop was mordant strike I think. It was a duel proc poison doing around 50 points of damage the first tic and then a follow up proc of 20 points for a tic.

Multiply that by 100 procs per use and thats around 7k worth of extra damage (assuming its not resisted). Not too shabby for a few copper spent.
  2. ARCHIVED-Blitzkrieger Guest

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out why they decided not to list stats for poisons, or arrows for that matter. I hope this thread takes off with input, I'm REALLY curious about how all the poisons are different from one another.
  3. ARCHIVED-Silaena Guest

About poison, I think that for now they aren't that different from each others.
    They came during the last days of beta, and there is no descriptions at all, they seems to only do damage on proc even if some poison look like they are not DoT but just a higher poison DD.

I think they'll change the poison effect in wanted time , when they can afford time to put descriptions on them.

But that's just how I feel it.
  4. ARCHIVED-Cabe5 Guest

Besides the effects and descriptions of poisons.......why do we have 2 slots in our inventory for them? Does this mean we can have 2 types of poison running at the same time? Can someone buy a vial of each poison and if they DO actually have dfifferent effects (such slowing the target ect.) see if they are stackable. If so, then I am effing glad I picked the assassin class.
  5. ARCHIVED-dvil-TB- Guest

I usually have 3 different poisons running at once. Equip - use - unequip each one.
    I don't know much about what the effects and such are, but I figure running 3 helps with affecting more types of MOBs :smileywink:
  6. ARCHIVED-Cabe5 Guest

are you saying that you can stack poison effects on one target? Or that some mobs resist certain poisons so it is always good to have 2 appllied?
  7. ARCHIVED-Vladdax Guest

You can stack posions but im not sure if they actually do stack. I usually use 2 but dont think i see it proccing 2x as much as only with one.
  8. ARCHIVED-Dormammu Guest

No you cant really stack poisons. What happens is that one poison will be active and the others will be waiting for the first poison to wear off. Once the first poison applied either times out or hits its 100 uses, the next poison in line would start functioning.

So, no dont apply more than 1 poison at 1 time.
  9. ARCHIVED-CycoZ Guest

Anyone provide a list of poisons worth buying?

I tried making my own (level 19 scholar) hoping for some seriously damaging poisions but they are less effective than the ones I can buy for a few copper.

Zyco 20 assassin
  10. ARCHIVED-Cabe5 Guest

Well there is a poison shop in East Freeport. It has tons of poisons and the best thing to do is match your poisoning skill lvl (found under you skills tab) withthe skil level required (u can seee that by examining the poison in the trade window). Usually at lvl 20 your poisoning skill should be around 100. I usually buy mordant strike. Do not go by the little text that says "This item is a perfect match for your abilities" (you know the text that shows up at bootom of examine item window). Many poisons in there said that when I examined them, oly after I bought like 5 of them at a good chunk of silver did I realise that they had a skill level of 200. Learned the hard way. I guess what we should do is buy each poison and report back here in the forum the max damage we have seen it do. I am sure there is a difference. SO far I ahve used the the evening blight and mordant strike. I can swear I have only seen Evening Blight do up to 34 while Mordant Strike does up to 51. But I will double check that.
  11. ARCHIVED-Shino_ Guest

i did some NPC poison tests a few days ago.. you can see the results in the alchemy forum if you want to see numbers, but in a nutshell, NPC poison does about 10% less damage than crafted poison, but costs about 1/7th of the price
  12. ARCHIVED-Cabe5 Guest

Can you post a link to the thread? Thanks!
  13. ARCHIVED-AstralDreams Guest

wow awesome info. Was just researching poisons.

question, do you have to apply/use poisons each time it goes off, or you just put in a stack of 99 like arrows?

also, does the poison go off after each hit or randomly like a proc?
  14. ARCHIVED-Cabe5 Guest

Well you use it right clickon it in your invetory window after u put it in a slot. I have not tried dragging it to a hotkey slot yet) and it apllies itself. Now only to your hand weapon but your ranged. As an assasin I used\ Open Shot on my target to pull them instead of shadow strike. That gets the poison in them as they run to you. It does have a time limit of serveral hours. I have also noticed it dissapear before the timer runs out, so I am sure it has only a number of sucessful hits before it goes away (which by the way is a lot). From what I can tell every monster can be poisoned by the same poison, they all have different resistances to poison in general though. Poison does go off like a proc. It will auto attempt to poison every few hits and then the target will either resist it or not. Highler level poisons and crafted poisons are more effective, but there are also many skills that the assassin gets that helps lower the resistance of the target. Such as poison blade, a sneak attack that does massive damage (used from stealth) that also lower the targets resistance to your poison attempts

I have noticed different poisons doing different damage, but in an odd way:

Mordant Strike was doing up to 51 dmage with my primary weapon and 20 somehting with my secondary.

Blight of the Evening was doing 34 on both of my weapons (including my bow, so it was not good for ranged)

They pretty much even out in had to hand combat when u total it all up, I went back to Mordant strike after using BlightOTE because I wanted that big 51 rolling up after a bow shot and with my primary in general. I will experiment with more poisons. I am hoping there are some that slow the creature or stun them. But I doubt it. I am beginning to think that the poisons don't have different strengths when attempting to poison, but are best used with different weapon configurations and choices......but that is just a theory right now.
  15. ARCHIVED-AstralDreams Guest

excellent info! thanks for the post. I would imagine other poisons have secondary effects like debuffing, etc, in addition to stun.

I will buy poison tonite and try it out and post my results here.
  16. ARCHIVED-drew274 Guest

I got a little lost in the replies and messages being sent on this topic.

I buy a poison I can use. I equip it. I use it. Do I have to reuse it even though the icon is showing it is active in my display (where the buffs and debuffs are shown?) It seems to not work all the time and it is almost like there is a bug and it wears off before it the timer runs down.

Can someone post a step by step procedure to use poison and confirm my suspiscion that the timer means nothing?

Naggaroth
    Lvl 19-Pred Crushbone
  17. ARCHIVED-Cabe5 Guest

From what I can tell:

Poison can wear off 2 ways
    - over time
    - due to use

SO yes the timer says how long until it wears off. But the poison can also get used up by use. In other words, if you are crafting while u have poison activated on your weapons it will get stale and wear off represented by the timer. But it also wears off by using it, more hits than it wears off. Takes a long time, but yes it goes away with use or over time. Just carry 5 vials at all times and apply when needed.

You only have to use poison once until you see the icon dissapear. If you are not poisoning your target all the time, either the poison is too weak or the target's resistance is high. WHen u hit 20 you will get better poison skill and better poisons and you will see it work more often. Right now I am sure you are using low lvl poison like acidic goo or something on targets that are near 20th lvl. SO don't expect that to work all the time. When u hit 20 and get better poison skill you will se what I mean.
  18. ARCHIVED-Nagorak3 Guest

Cabe, I think what you're seeing with the different damage is due to the DOT ticks.

From my testing Blight of the Evening hits for 25 initially, and immediately ticks for 34. Then it ticks 3 more times for 34.
  19. ARCHIVED-Cabe5 Guest

were u using dual wield on that test or single weapon? Try the Mordant strike and tell me what u see also. Just to compare.
  20. ARCHIVED-Nagorak3 Guest

I was dual wielding. I'll pick up some Mordent Strike and compare it in the next day or so.