Playing with city factions

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by maksio5, May 19, 2013.

1. maksio5 New Member

It's been a while I last poked into the game (Last time was waaaay back a few years), until recently and I was wondering....

Is it even possible nowadays to gain enough influence in opposing city faction to not get attacked on sight by the guards, at the same time not loosing faction with other cities?
    For example: We have a Sarnak, hated by both the 'good' cities(-40K if I remember correctly), while having 5k faction with Freeport and Neriak.
    1. Now, first question: is it even possible to do faction quests, without first becoming exile?
    2. Second question: If so, before reaching high enough faction with one of the 'good' cities (10K) to not get KoS'd, Freeport and Neriak faction will drop below that point. (-45k loss alltogether, so that caps at -40k I think), will that mean that you're still screwed and Freeport becomes KoS now?

Finally, is there any other way to go around the KoS, without having to sneak about? (Like, perhaps being in party with Quenos citizen)

I apologize if topic about this is already out there and I failed to find it. Likewise, I apologize if I spelled any of those names wrong...it's been several years after all :p
  2. Veeman Active Member

As far as I know, there is no way to have "good" faction with an evil city and a good city at the same time.
  3. Rotherian Well-Known Member

1. It is possible to do quests that raise your faction with various Shattered Land factions based near and in Qeynos while being a citizen of Freeport. This does not, however, raise your faction with the City of Qeynos and the guards will still attack you. Good and Evil City factions are currently mutually exclusive (although they really don't make any darned sense outside of the PvP and RP communities). Good characters are KOS in Neriak and Freeport, but not in Gorowyn (although I don't think Gorowyn merchants will transact with good-aligned characters). Evil characters are KOS in Qeynos, but not in Kelethin (except for the platform containing the royal residence) or New Halas (although I don't think merchants in either city will transact with evil-aligned characters). I don't think the faction quests become available until one is an exile.
    2. Like I said before, as far as I know, they are mutually exclusive.
    3. Other than being high enough of a level that all the guards that you encounter are grey, no.
    4. Easiest way to remember the spelling of 'Qeynos' is that it is 'Sony EQ' backwards.
  4. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Actually, Gorowyn merchants will deal with anyone - s'why my guild put our guild hall there. The merchants and bankers would deal with the entire guild until we could afford amenities.

There is one, and only one, fuel merchant in the Halas crafting area who will deal with evils.

Exiles used to have some options to at least get the merchants from all cities to deal with them (though the guards in Qeynos and Freeport were still KoS), but they've changed how the faction quests work, so the best you can do is juggle them.

I've been a big advocate for a long time of opening up city factions - make writs doable by anyone, and have them give some actual city faction as well. Maybe even create an achievement for getting ally with all 6 cities, with a title reward of "the Diplomat." City faction has meant less and less outside of PVP, there's never been open warfare between the cities while the game's been going, and now all the cities are united under the New Combine anyway. It really is time to open this up.
    Prethicre, Guroleil, suka and 2 others like this.
  5. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Nice.

Honestly my evil toons get a lot more play time, so I wasn't aware that the merchants inside Gorowyn would sell to good toons (since I don't take them out that way).
  6. Regolas Well-Known Member

My kerra bruiser is a citizen of freeport but not KoS in Qeynos. Not done any quests for it though.
  7. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Praytell, how did you accomplish that feat?
    suka likes this.
  8. Regolas Well-Known Member

I don't know. I only found it out by chance. I wanted to get to a qeynos guild hall and was expecting to have to FD flop my way there. But when nothing aggroed I conned some guards and they were dubious or something. Can't buy anything off vendors but I don't get attacked.
  9. Ragna Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's still possible but evil used to be able to get non-KOS status with Kelethin (which is only useful for the royal's area, other guards being non-KOS anyway and - most - merchants still don't want to do business with you).
    Once you greyed out the area, you could get quests from the Fae camp in Lesser Faydark and earn a few 100's faction. Enough to be non-KOS if you started at -40K with Kelethin.
  10. Explorer New Member

I am already in Exile. I haven't started faction quests with anyone yet. By what I see, quests that help you become a citizen of Kelethin for example add, say, 3000 kelethin faction (some even grant 1000 Qeynos faction as well), but they reduce faction with Freeport and Neriak by 4000. I am wondering if there is a way to gain faction with all cities at the same time, or by following different quests, without losing faction with others while in Exile, before registering as a citizen somewhere. For example, is there a Kelethin quest for exiles which adds faction with this city but doesn't reduce faction with others?
  11. Seliri Well-Known Member

:mad: intredasting >| :mad:
  12. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Not anymore. Waaaaay back when Neriak was first released, they'd forgotten to add Kelethin and Neriak faction hits to the Freeport and Qeynos faction quests. The faction quests also gave the same amount of + faction for the city as - faction for the opposite side, so some juggling could be done. But that got adjusted months later to the current situation.

There were also some specific quests that let anyone get faction with Kelethin - the starter quests, and a quest line for the Fae Court in Lesser Faydark. Obviously the starter quests don't do this anymore; while the Fae Court quests in LFay still give Kelethin faction, they require at least indifferent faction with Kelethin to obtain them. Nowadays those who want to be neutral just have to juggle their factions and accept that there will always be at least one city who's guards want to kill them on sight. (Unless the devs decide to implement neutral factions.)
  13. Fictional Reality Active Member

Maybe the Kerrans are a special exception... because my Kerra Berserker can go to any city and not get attacked.
    Barbachauf and Xietsu like this.
  14. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

So a Kerran bruiser and a kerran berserker both have free pass anywhere. Maybe I should run my monk over to Freeport to check...