/petition The Court of the Crimson King - oops I mean al'Afaz.

Discussion in 'Zones and Population' started by ARCHIVED-Jehannum, Dec 12, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Jehannum Guest

The only characters they seem to have left alone are the neurosurgeon, the schizoid and the yellow juggler.
    Why is it acceptable for Sony to run roughshod over their own naming convention (by using names from popular culture), or at least abuse it mildly, but not for players to do likewise? Excerpts from King Crimson's album follow:

I Talk to the Wind
    Said the straight man to the late man
    Where have you been
    I've been here and I've been there
    And I've been in between.
    (snipped for brevity)
    Moonchild
    (Excerpted)
    She's a moonchild
    Gathering the flowers in a garden.
    Lovely moonchild
    Drifting on the echoes of the hours.

Sailing on the wind
    in a milk white gown
    Dropping circle stones on a sun dial
    Playing hide and seek
    with the ghosts of dawn
    Waiting for a smile from a sun child.
    The Court of the Crimson King
    The rusted chains of prison moons
    Are shattered by the sun.
    I walk a road, horizons change
    The tournament's begun.
    The purple piper plays his tune,
    The choir softly sing;
    Three lullabies in an ancient tongue,
    For the court of the crimson king.

The keeper of the city keys
    Put shutters on the dreams.
    I wait outside the pilgrim's door
    With insufficient schemes.
    The black queen chants
    the funeral march,
    The cracked brass bells will ring;
    To summon back the fire witch
    To the court of the crimson king.

The gardener plants an evergreen
    Whilst trampling on a flower.
    I chase the wind of a prism ship
    To taste the sweet and sour.
    The pattern juggler lifts his hand;
    The orchestra begin.
    As slowly turns the grinding wheel
    In the court of the crimson king.

On soft gray mornings widows cry
    The wise men share a joke;
    I run to grasp divining signs
    To satisfy the hoax.
    The yellow jester does not play
    But gently pulls the strings
    And smiles as the puppets dance
    In the court of the crimson king.
    If Sony owns the rights to EG Music, BMI or King Crimson's stuff, I wasn't able to find any reference online to that effect.
  2. ARCHIVED-Fizwick Guest

And the peculiar thing is this my friends:
    the song we sang on that fateful night,
    it didn't actually sound anything like this song.

This is just a tribute!

...for the curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Crimson
  3. ARCHIVED-Dasein Guest

Are the names explicitly from pop culture, or is it merely a case of a song making reference to more generic and still aporpriate names?
  4. ARCHIVED-germanicus2112 Guest

Kudos to the Crimson fan within the developers team.
    Pattern juggler, keep of the city keys, black queen, gardener, moonchild, sunchild. Nice stuff :)

How about maybe a zone based on Supper's Ready or Close to the Edge :p
  5. ARCHIVED-Jehannum Guest

Don't forget the puppets, the late men and the fire witch (and I'm probably missing more since I've only been to the zone once heh)

To be honest it's not the tribute that offends me, it's the inconsistency; true the album's over 30 years old, but (and I was simultaneously amused and appalled at what you used to have to tell Kizdean in EQ1 too) why is it that it's perfectly acceptable for Sony to incorporate pop-culture in-jokes, but not for us to do the same? Or at least do the same without living with the constant threat of renaming.
  6. ARCHIVED-Niteflyx Guest

7. ARCHIVED-Snarks Guest

this is awesome, too bad they form zones from expired pop culture instead of the everquest lore itself
  8. ARCHIVED-Dasein Guest

To be honest it's not the tribute that offends me, it's the inconsistency; true the album's over 30 years old, but (and I was simultaneously amused and appalled at what you used to have to tell Kizdean in EQ1 too) why is it that it's perfectly acceptable for Sony to incorporate pop-culture in-jokes, but not for us to do the same? Or at least do the same without living with the constant threat of renaming.
    The difference is, all the names there would be perfectly fine on their own. In other words, they fit with the setting while also making reference to the song. There is no reason players cannot do the same, but one just needs to be subtle about it. Gandalff and Leogalllas are not the same.
  9. ARCHIVED-Yggs Guest

oh, cool thread, i actually notice this myself when one of the npc's in the shimmering citadel part of the caves, with troubadors. They say the words: Confusion will be your epitah, which is the same line as one of those song from the album mentioned above except Greg lake sings "confusion, will be MY epitah" . I thought i was crazy, but good to see it was a reference :)
  10. ARCHIVED-sorinev Guest

And don't forget the ghosts of dawn too! The way the moonchild encounter works in game sounds a lot like that part of the song, with the moonchild, ghosts of dawn, and sunchild.
  11. ARCHIVED-Kazora Guest

Little do you know that blackguard is actually the crimson king himself. jokes on you [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn]
  12. ARCHIVED-Redbed Guest

Its called Lawsuits. Welcome to America. If a Copyright holder feels you are debasing their property they can sue you and anyone involved. Sony runs the game which means they can be held liable and have to spend money to defend themselves. If you look at the studio that produced that album, Im betting heavily that its a Sony Lable or a subsidary that isnt going to sue them if they even know about it. But then Fox Tried to sue the producers of the Simpsons a few years ago for making fun of fox, stupid is as stupid does...They own the simpsons. But then Fox aint the brightest cabbages in the patch.

Sony doesnt have the time to defend themselves against touchstone or paramount. They re too busy trying driving depressed people to suicide and addictive obsessive personalities into neglecting their kids.
  13. ARCHIVED-TunaBoo Guest

haha that is sweet... I wonder if it was a rogue easter egg or a design decision to use a song to make a zone.
  14. ARCHIVED-Dasein Guest

It could also be as simple as King Crimson or whomever currently owns the copyright on the song(s) gave SOE permission to create a derivitive work.
  15. ARCHIVED-Espyderman Guest

The reason we arent allowed to do it and sony is is because sony knows how to do it without getting into legal trouble, most 20yr old account holders do not and if they do dont get renamed.
    It is the simple answer, always.
    Message Edited by Espyderman on 01-03-2006 12:55 PM
  16. ARCHIVED-Jonaroth Guest

They need to make a zone that makes references to NiN :)
  17. ARCHIVED-TunaBoo Guest

^^

We would be the first to be there.
  18. ARCHIVED-pawnipt Guest

An honest question to be asked is, what exactly is everquest lore, where does it come from? its all fantasy, all made up, someones gotta be creative, or is there some old everquest book written ages that im not hearing about?

I think its great that a raid zone was inspired by someones poem! I'd like to see more of a skit involved with zones, and more narrative and it's be alot cooler.
  19. ARCHIVED-Geldoff Guest

This game could use a little King Crimson - gooo Frippertronics!
  20. ARCHIVED-Jehannum Guest

Trouble is, a zone based on (for example) PHM would be instantly lethal if you don't follow God Money's instructions, and you know Down In It is going to involve massive falling damage... I don't even want to think about how many orcs would be involved in a March of the Pigs either... 10 miles high sounds like another load of falling pain. Of course, it might be a cool touch to base it on TDS and have a "Man in Black" bard at the end who Hurts people... Ahh, Johnny, we miss you.

I still think it's lame that Sony doesn't hold themselves to the same standard they expect of us though.