Paladin Zealous Smite Does not Cure Detriments

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Keffin, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Keffin Member

2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Zealous Smite is an endline AA ability from the Paladin's Heroic tree. On my level 122 paladin it says it dispels 129 levels of hostile effects.

Compare to Castigate VII, which says it removes 322 levels of hostile effects.

Also compare to the Paladin AA tree ability Cure Spells, which dispels 130 levels of elemental, noxious, and arcane hostile effects.

I'm not sure how many levels of hostile effects you need to be able to clear for VoV, but I think it was more than 129 levels. What does your Examine window say on Zealous Smite, Keffin?
  3. Benj Well-Known Member

At level 125, Zealous Smite cures 132 levels of hostile (compared to Cure Spells at 133 levels of hostile). In general, the number of levels needed equals the level of the boss you're fighting. A level 133 mob (highest level in game currently) would require 133 levels of cure. This effectively makes the cure on Zealous Smite useless, as all bosses are 133. This appears to be intended...
    Keffin, Aethos and Sigrdrifa like this.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Excellent. These are the numbers the devs will need to see.
  5. Bramdar Active Member

As a SK, I use Zealous Smite all the time in VoV. It definitely works against overland named (including PQ named) as well as all solo instance named. I just did a quick glance at the Warpwood Carin instances to make sure, and the first named in the solo instance is level 128 but the same named in the heroic I instance is level 133.

Zealous Smite definitely did NOT work against any named in RoS - I don't remember what level it cured, but every single named I encountered, overland, solo, or heroic, was too high level to be affected by it. So maybe this is the compromise to make it useful in some instances, but not all?
  6. Benj Well-Known Member

In RoS, it cured 127 levels of hostile, and all bosses were 128. Zealous Smite is always 7 levels above your level. Bosses are almost always 8 levels above you (anything higher than that would con red). It was fairly useful in BoL because the normal heroics were all 127, but the Challenge heroics and raid bosses were all 128.