Paladin Vs. Berserker

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-yiaa, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-yiaa Guest

Hey guys, thinking of starting up EQ2 as a casual. I liked both paladin and berserker class in EQ1. Can you guys give me some pros and cons of Paladin and Beserker in EQ2 as a casual?
  2. ARCHIVED-Netty Guest

Playing caual i think both classes woul suit you fine tbh. Both are great to solo with and so on. If you are looking at groups both are good at it. But you might find it easier on the pally with aggro and so on. Tbh just pick the one you feel to play.
  3. ARCHIVED-Malleria Guest

Keep in mind zerkers in EQ1 are very different than zerkers in EQ2. Here they're tanks, not dps. And in groups you'll be expected to tank.
  4. ARCHIVED-Regolas Guest

As a casual player pre cap, you'll probably find a beserker more fun as they do more dps so kill things quicker. Paladins are often criticised by people that play them for feeling like you're hitting an ememy with a wet fish! Coming from eq1, you'll have an idea what you're letting yourself in for as a paladin. It's the defensive holy warrior. Beserkers are the offensive warrior (wheras a Guardian is the defensive warrior). I've not played a paladin to high levels but I have a beserker and I love it. We have a mythical buff at 85+ that allows us to hit multiple enemies at once. At cap it isn't quite as special as a lot of classes can get stats to do the same, but a beserker gets it first and most easily. Having said that, we're not as good a tank for really tough single enemies as others. We could do with more HP and aggro control that's not centred around DPS. Paladins have this in abundance with a buff called Amends, that transfers hate from someone else in the group to you, so they rarely need to worry about keeping aggro.
  5. ARCHIVED-Zergosch Guest

Might be my force, or may it be like this. But in the end, there isn´t that much of diffrence on almost every tank.
    At least the endgame, i didnt found a mob, that my paly didnt mted, or a monk and so on (well, we didnt get an berserker, so i dont have infos about that).
    DPS wise..... Palys arent that bad, single or group encounter (endgame, topgear)
    I play my paly since beta, a long time and it still makes me fun, perhaps cause of so many people do make fun of us ^^ and they now, we do hold ur mob steady ^^
  6. ARCHIVED-Clownballs Guest

Regolas wrote:
    First of all I have played a Paladin since 2007 Regolas and have never felt I was hitting mobs with a wet fish, lol. Also confused that in your post you stated you have not played a paladin yet towards the end state info such as amends?
    Both classes have there use like all classes in eq2, Beserkers are a offensive class = dps tank and paladins are a Defensive class = Defensive. So when making a choice of what to play you should think about what it is that you want to focus on for end game or just what you find to be more fun. Both classes are fun to play as I have tried both and settled on paladin due to the nature of my play (Raiding).
    Now for the correction mythical buff can be obtained at level 80 not 85 for all classes. Also the buff Regolas is talking about is called AE auto attack which caps at 100% and the beserkers do get this from there mythical buff as an always on buff/spell. Amends is a spell paladins get level 49 which when placed on a group mate tranfers hate via a pecentage to you the paladin. Understand this buff is nice but not to be relyed upon. As for DPS between the 2 classes when played similar to each other and gear matching they both are very nice. On a personal level I find that surviablity is stronger in end game for the paladin then the zerker.
  7. ARCHIVED-Regolas Guest

Just because I've never played a paladin to cap doesn't mean I am not aware of their abilities. And you're wrong about the mythical buff (from epic reprocussions not the raid mythical). You can't enter Vasty Deep unless 85+ so you cant finish the quest till 85.
  8. ARCHIVED-Shotneedle Guest

Long story short OP, Berserkers have more survivability but Paladins have easymode aggro with players who vastly outgear them.

As to what the guy above me said, if you choose Paladin, Amends should be relied on if you're going casual. I once played with a 20k dps paladin who kept aggro off my beastlord doing 700k dps. It was pretty hilarious.
  9. ARCHIVED-Clownballs Guest

Regolas wrote:
    You never said in your post ER or raid mythical, isn't the buff the same from both? If so then I would be correct in saying you can get the buff at level 80, but meh petty stuff to argue about.
  10. ARCHIVED-Regolas Guest

It is rare for a casual to get the raid mythical, even if it's easier to get these days. You're right it's petty to argue but you started it by saying I was wrong, and I explained why I stated what I did. And mythical buff to me indicates its ER buff. Otherwise it's the mythical item effect (ie you have to wield the weapon), but again, petty argument. It gets my back up when someone discredits what I say when what I say is correct. I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong but I am not this time.
  11. ARCHIVED-Clownballs Guest

It is amusing when pride gets in the way of progress. Thanks for the good times.
  12. ARCHIVED-Netty Guest

Buffrat@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Pallys are more defensiv imo. But for causal he shouldent have a problem on any of them if played right.
  13. ARCHIVED-Zergosch Guest

There rarley mobs that should have been tanked from a monk.
    But in our force, Paladin or Berserker, at least for the healers, it doesnt mater that much.
    DPS isnt that bad at all, depends more on the gear.
    As sayed above, it´s more like, what you like to play :) both classes got their ups and downs.