Once More - The Mysterious Language of the Ayr'Dal

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Bendis, Dec 5, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Bendis Guest

We had started this discussion in Sauria's excellent Lore post, but I didn't want to clutter her post and the questions it shall generate with this small sideline discussion.

To bring you up to speed, Sauria made us aware that there is a font file in the Everquest II folder on your computer that holds the fonts (written languages) of the various races. Being a Half Elf, I was eager to see what our language written out looked like, but saw nothing for Ayr'dal listed. We queried whether the Ayr'Dal did not have a written language (they apparently have a spoken one, as is alluded to in the Prima Eguide). Someone suggested they spoke/wrote Wood Elf, but Sauria noted that not all Half Elves have Wood Elven parents.

Sauria then found a Half Elf NPC in Beggar's Court named Arria Fadilla. She seems to think he is a Half Elf and she said he was definitely speaking in Wood Elf.

In the Willow Wood, I noted that Scribe Salinai Brooklily in Brooklily Books is speaking in a "language I can't understand". I am a Half Elf, but I'm not sure whether she was speaking/and is a High Elf or Wood Elf. Can anyone confirm?

If she is a Wood Elf, then we're back to square one as to what the language of the Ayr'Dal is - if she isn't, then it would appear that Ayr'Dal speak/write Wood Elf.

The Prima Eguide states, however, that Half Elves speak a language that is "a mix" of Human and Wood Elf - which makes it appear as if they have their own separate language, but it seems to me that they do not. Any thoughts?
    Also, does anyone know if Half Elves can also understand Human? It would make sense...
    Love to hear anyone's feedback.
    Message Edited by Bendis on 12-05-2004 08:11 AM
    Message Edited by Bendis on 12-05-2004 08:12 AM
  2. ARCHIVED-Liljna Guest

According to the manual the half elves have their own language (or so I read it). Under the race Half Elf it says Language: Ayr'Dal.
    The scribe you mention speaks Wood elf (Feir'Dal). But there is an elven character in Willow Wood I don't understand (I am a wood elf), so I was wondering if he was half elven. He is standing on a ledge to the left of the gate to the Elddar Grove. He is called Hunter *something*.
  3. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

Message Edited by Kamimura on 12-05-2004 01:33 PM
  4. ARCHIVED-Bolvaar Guest

The Hunter in Willow Wood you mention is Hunter Vannil. I've had the pleasure of speaking with him...after learning the basics of the Ayr'Dal language. Luckily I ran across the tome in Willow Wood from the scribe, from whom I also bought the Feir'Dal language guide so I could understand her as well.

I believe that the Human tongue is the Common tongue, therefore the various races of the world would all be able to understand it.

Edit: Just saw the other thread. Odd that they'd have a seperate spoken language and not a written one, though like Kamimura said, it's possible they use the Wood Elf alphabet. At least they have a seperate language in this game, as opposed to 500 years ago in the original.
    Message Edited by Bolvaar on 12-05-2004 01:57 PM
  5. ARCHIVED-Bendis Guest

The official SOE guide, downloaded from this site, says that Half Elves speak "Ayr'Dal". Perhaps it is, then, only a spoken language. But if, as someone said, there is an "Ayr'Dal Language Primer" that can be purchased - wouldn't that imply there is a written version as well (not definitely, of course, but possibly).
    Anyone else have any other ideas as to this?
  6. ARCHIVED-Jaron95 Guest

Get a half elf and a wood elf together & have them each speak/write the same words in their native tongues. Get a third party who speaks neither language to compare the text and see if they're written the same. :p
  7. ARCHIVED-Bendis Guest

That just may be the way to solve it, Jaron! I'll see if I can work out something with my guild - I'll let you know when I get some results.
  8. ARCHIVED-Jaron95 Guest

By the by, the "language primers" are not physical books that are purchased from the scribes. Rather, when you pay the scribe your 12sp, it's almost like he teaches you the language himself. No items are exchanged when you hand over your coin, you simply learn the language you're paying for. :smileyindifferent:
  9. ARCHIVED-Bendis Guest

Thanks for the info - I hadn't purchased any yet so I didn't realize. So it's very possible it's still only spoken...

The mystery continues... :smileysurprised:
  10. ARCHIVED-Jaron95 Guest

I'm just mad that the scribes in Qeynos won't deal with me. :( After all the trouble I went through to sneak into their city to learn their languages.... ;)

My half elf speaks all the languages of Freeport, as well as Orcish and Gnollish now. :smileysurprised:
  11. ARCHIVED-Tanithis Guest

Not that this will help any at all but Half elves can be from any of the three elf lines so they must have their own language or they use the languages of the human and (dark, high, wood) elf parent. It would make more since if Ayr'Dal was nothing more than a combination of all four languages.
  12. ARCHIVED-Bendis Guest

I truly believe that it is a mixture - I believe it was the Prima eguide that said it was a mixture of Wood Elf & Human (or was it High Elf)? I think it would be a mixture of all Elven languages, myself.
  13. ARCHIVED-Ardwan Guest

Seeing as the Wood elves were more openly accepting of Half-elves than the High elves were, so it would make sense that Ayr'dal would be closely related to Feir'Dal regardless of what parentage the half-elves had.
  14. ARCHIVED-Jaron95 Guest

That's a good point. And let's not even get into what the Teir'Dal would think of a half-breed child. :smileysurprised:
    Message Edited by Jaron95 on 12-21-2004 02:17 AM