old zone - Estate of Unrest

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Wellknownmember, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Wellknownmember Active Member

I do enjoy the Chronomage tasks and resulting plushies. But I'd forgotten how much help a person needs to do Estate of Unrest. I hadn't been there in two years at least.

Levers - no chance of doing that alone

Hag - is this a bug? She jailed both of us, not just one person in the group, and she did it as soon as we touched her. OK, we are overpowered and maybe we didn't burn her slowly enough or something, but that's to be expected nowadays, isn't it? Do I have to fight her in my crafting armor set with "deadly spoon"?

The only way we got past her was to have a merc on full protection mode and lucky he wasn't jailed too. But we still had to have someone zone out and return to the zone to continue.

Everything else seemed quite doable. Like I said, I enjoyed it, but man, that was some crazy strats.
  2. Smite Active Member

I agree.

But how many people would benefit from the devs spending their time updating non-96+ content?

Not many I'd imagine.
    _ _ _

Boxing the levers worked for me more than a year ago (it was annoying to do) and yeah I had to wait while my merc DPS'd the Hag on my behalf.

Like the DOV HQ that needs the x4 mob (that is being removed from the quest update) this zone might need a level agnostic version but I don't know that players on alts want to spend 90-180 minutes in there like they did back 3 months after it went in.

Anytime a player spends more than 90 min there better be carrots on the other end or they'll probably never go back. I can think of a few zones in COE that fit that description. In AoM they've got the same difficulty / time spent / reward inversions in our current zone cycles. ToV felt smaller and more rushed than AoM but at least the zones scaled in difficulty and reward as expected.

AoM is too COE in that respect unless whoever assigned loot tables threw darts at a dartboard for blind guesses.
    _ _ _

There's lots of little things that have broken over the years that have just fallen overboard mainly because most of the players don't spend their time doing that. Like SJ said - they know exactly what we're doing in game in aggregate (solo, duo, boxing, moloing, grouping, etc.) and they have positioned their resources accordingly.

I had the fluff pocket golem pet on my wizzy from ROK that tanked better than any merc and most raid tanks that broke an expansion pack or two ago I bugged and just accepted the code went berserk. It's not worth someone's time to hunt for it on their end especially since it helped me solo more outside of their design limits.

Look at AoM and how something as seemingly simple on our end such as SC appearance gear (wyrmcaster) from several expansions ago are giving a full torso clothing deletes for everyone just because the aerakyns went in. The game is big and there's all kinds of code that is far from elegant that trips up every now and then.
    _ _ _

Fixing things that work as they were originally implemented is far lower on their priority list and understandably so.
  3. Wellknownmember Active Member

I'm honestly not concerned about the devs and their priority list. I'm concerned about the game making sense. If the devs don't want their jobs, there are thousands and millions of kids waiting to take their jobs. It's not my concern and as a user of the software, it's not at all my place to be concerned about their "priority list."

Seriously dude "their design limits"?? What could you possibly know about that? If I had a penny for every time someone makes a comment like this, and then the devs fix it, I'd be seriously rich.

I think you're way off topic. Next time, try discussing the zone itself, instead of wandering around on topics you can't possibly know about and throwing in trivia. Start a thread about your pet. Act like a user and not a poser for the devs.
  4. Wurm Well-Known Member

I can solo this zone with no problems it just takes a bit of planning ahead. I still do in fact, I'm still trying to get the dwarven work boots update. :mad:

Mentor down.

If you have them take a guildhall banner with you, place it right in front of the zone entrance (if you don't oh well, you just have to do a little more running / flying to get back).

You can throw one switch and then run to the other while dragging the adds - no issues

The hag. Let her teleport you into the cage, since you are the only player in the zone, she will come to you inside the cage. Kick her butt.

Once she is dead... call to guildhall use banner, zone back inside, continue the zone until completion.
  5. Smite Active Member

I think the forum rules allow for me to be professionally unprofessional in this instance.
    _ _ _

More than a year ago I made a request on the forums similar to yours about Veeshan's Peak.

I asked if a script for the mob that drops Head patterns (Silverwing) could be changed not to require EVERY archtype in the group since it was just annoying to run that many instances of EQ2, drag each free trial heroic in with a vet call or racial port just so I can do one mob in one zone.
    _ _ _

If they didn't change Silverwing for me to make it so I can solo for raid appearance gear easier in VP anyone asking for something similar in another zone... say the State of Unrest is in for a rude awakening. I'll explain my hypothesis as to why in the next post.
  6. Smite Active Member

I've come to the concise 'guess' that it isn't just about Dev time.

It's also about statistics that allow a profitable company to obscure the fact that they have larger spending but far fewer paying customers than other MMOs.

Anyone who's been here a bit will know many ways SOE has gimmicked the padding those active subscriber numbers over the years.
  7. Charlice Well-Known Member

I have the upgraded boots on a toon I no longer play. I wish they'd make them heirloom rather than no-trade.

But ooh the switch, I'll have to try that again. I'm not sure now whether I just wasn't fast enough, or I got lost last time I tried lol.
  8. Wurm Well-Known Member

If you pull the adds with you it should work, well it always has for me.
  9. Wellknownmember Active Member

Yes this is the problem I'm having, the adds and everything don't pull with me on the Hag, and she just resets if my merc isn't up... At first, I was like, why would I have my merc up? Nothing here is dangerous to me. Then I was alone in a cell... with the hag going back about her business as usual... all quiet on the dungeon front... lol

Even with the merc up, if I wanted to not have to zone out.. a caster had to not melee attack her while the merc held her attention, or we both got jailed, and you can't ask a merc to go get a key... ;)

I'm interested also because of the boots/insoles. I'm at 695 mining... wouldn't it be nice to be over 700?

Thanks for the tips!

PS: It would be so easy to fix this... if you're soloing this while chrono'd, your dps is really high, so an object that disables her jail skill for a few seconds (5? 8?) would be right. Anyone with a level 70ish group doing it on level would not be able to use that to cheat.
  10. Avithax Well-Known Member

Unrest was an awesome zone back when it was current content. Combining the "Myst" style puzzle with the heroic content made it one of the most fun zones out there and I fondly remember guild groups spending hours in there. If a group of players were to run this zone at level 70 wearing level 70 gear it would be an equally fun experience for them so I think changing the zone to accommodate a solo player mentored down with a merc would ruin the experience for progression players.

I am also running this zone currently to get the upgrade to the dwaven boots and I use a f2p account to throw switches and tinkercall to if I get jailed. The rest of the zone is a cake walk so please don't advocate changing a zone that doesnt need to be changed.
    Wellknownmember, Charlice and Wurm like this.
  11. Wurm Well-Known Member

Why use a merc? There really isn't a need for one in that zone.

You kill all of the adds without aggroing her, then you can agro her and finish the fight.

She won't reset if you are the only person in the zone.
  12. Wellknownmember Active Member

She did in fact reset every single time for me. Until I fired up my merc and then the merc finished her off. I was still in jail though. I like the tinkercall idea.

To be clear, I was stuck in jail, then had to zone out (non-scout), came back, started fight with merc, jailed again, merc killed her and then zoned out again.. came back.... continued the zone...

Tried it with a friend too, we found we had to not melee her and let the merc take the brunt. Glad the merc is immune to some of the effects of nameds (coercer pittles comes to mind in recent zone change history).

I can usually find someone to give me a few minutes to throw switches, I haven't thought of the dual-boxing method, would I have to use isbox to synchronize? I'm not too good at that stuff. Luckily I can find someone to help.
  13. Wurm Well-Known Member

She has always came into the jail cell with me and let me kill her inside

I'll go run it again and let you know what happens
    Wellknownmember likes this.
  14. Nazz Playing off and on since '04

Have you tried using Totems of Escape? Might prevent the need to zone out and back in again.
  15. Prrasha Well-Known Member

No form of evac works in Unrest.
    Shmogre likes this.
  16. Finora Well-Known Member

No need to do anything like using some other program to sync. I run two accounts on the same computer and just tab between them to flip the switch. I've never had an issue doing it that way. Just start one, tab to the other and do that one then run down and continue beating things up.
    Wellknownmember likes this.
  17. Wurm Well-Known Member

OK they did change something, she does break instead of coming inside the cell with you... lol however I found a new trick.
    Summon Merc, let merc attack her. You get ported to jail cell. Merc stays outside and kills her. Tinkerer's call to merc. You are now outside of cell and can continue.

The pull the mobs from one switch to the other also no longer works. I'm wondering if some dev was bored and instead of working on bugs and problems in current content went and adjusted this zone to make it even more solo unfriendly? I would hope not, but after having done the switches using the drag mobs method more than a few times and it now not working it seems to have been changed for the worse.
  18. Wurm Well-Known Member

And still no soles :-(
  19. Scalo Active Member

its a cool zone, with a story and some puzzles.
    of course it becomes unearably boring are the frist 50 runs if you are despereate for the leather insoles. got these on two my chars. never again.
    i always had 2nd char for levers. but its possible to 1-shot the Hag on a dps class even when mentoring. btw. she has a nice teleport orb drop.
    good luck hunting the insoles!