Oh Snap!

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Dethrayzin, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Dethrayzin Active Member

It's been a long time since I've done any decoration, but I was thinking it would be really cool to have a snap in place feature for building blocks. Maybe a button you hold down while moving a building block that will snap it to the edge of a different one you're moving it close to. It would make tiling a floor or building a wall much easier. What do you think?
  2. grlnxtdr Active Member

That would be awesome1 might even encourage me to do something I've been putting off for years...Constructing a House on one of the TT Islands!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Basel Noire Active Member

I could see where it would have its uses for some people, but that would drive me crazy if there was no way to disable it. Adding the "snap" feature would prohibit a lot of the creativity that people put into their designs as it would constantly snap things you don't want to have snapped. I'd likely stop decorating if that was implemented. I like the challenge of the system as it is now and adding that would dummy it down far too much for my tastes.
  4. Dethrayzin Active Member

I think you missed the part where I said you would have to hold a button down to make it happen (e.g. alt s or something).
  5. Basel Noire Active Member

Nope, didn't miss it. You asked for our opinion, this is mine. Not a fan of "snap" decorating at all no matter which way it is activated.
  6. Dethrayzin Active Member

You wouldn't have to disable it because the only way to get it to work is by enabling it piece by piece. For example: I place a tile in the corner of a room. I want the next tile to line up so I hold alt+s down and the tile snaps into place. The next tile I want a little off center, so I move it where I want it. The next tile needs to be slightly higher, so I move it where I want it. Then I want to line up a tile with the slightly elevated one, so I hold alt+s down and move the tile to the edges of the top one and it snaps into place.

As you can see, it won't do what you described because it needs a couple of buttons pressed in order to make the item snap, otherwise it would work the same as it has always worked.

My fault though, I should have described what I had in mind better, as my original post was ambiguous as to how it would work.
  7. JesDyr Well-Known Member

While it would be nice to have that in game ... You can do that type of thing with the Layout editor using "Build Row". You need to know the Base size of the item, but it will position the other item right next to the chosen side (accounts for the rotations of the item as well)
  8. Basel Noire Active Member

Yes, disable it entirely from being accessible on my account. Most functions brought into games like "snap" decorating as with other games that have this that I will not mention, becomes default. It took the fun out of decorating. I prefer it not being in the game. Just my opinion, again.
  9. Dethrayzin Active Member

I know, I've used the editor to build before (It's your creation isn't it?). I haven't used it since they started allowing us to publish houses. I stopped decorating around that time. Although I used it successfully, and it was quite nice. I really like to be able to do stuff without windowing in and out of the game, trying to figure out which tile is which, and saving and loading all the time. I started doing stuff manually after a time. Perhaps it's easier to use now. I'll have to check it out, I have a guild hall I need to repair, after a four-year-old got a hold of my account. x_x
  10. JesDyr Well-Known Member

Yup :)

The "Build Row" function was something I made for Tile that you need to use Pitch to make the textures look right when using them as walls. Since the slight offset of angle (using pitch ~98.98) would leave you with a line if you just raised a tile up 2xScale... It just makes thing easier to get perfect is all. I think I touch on how to use it in one of my tiling videos (part 1 I think) on youtube (just search for JesDyr)
  11. Dethrayzin Active Member

12. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

For tiles, instead of using pitch, it's easier to use roll. Roll can use a round 90, so your wall will be completely flat. If the item isn't rotated the correct direction with roll, simply rotate it 90. The only time this doesn't work well is for tiles with a distinct pattern that doesn't work well rolled. In that case, use pitch.

And if you're trying to figure out distances for building blocks.... I put together an entire spreadsheet with the most common measurements.

To get measurements for scales not listed, simply multiply the scale by the size in the "scale 1" columns.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, Jaz! I'd been using way more tiles than I usually do in working on my Secret Santug house, and I usually just did an approximation, then went into the layout file using Notepad and "tidied things up" a bit...but this seems faster. ;->

Uwk