[Official Thread] SOE Restructuring Announcement

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by ARCHIVED-SOE-Brasse, Mar 31, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Krystara Guest

I'm sorry to hear about this and wish absolutely everyone the best possible outcome. *gentle hugs*
    Losing a job just hurts.
  2. ARCHIVED-Elquinjena Guest

I am sad to see The Agency being cut, it held so much promise. It looked like a very exciting game.
    I also wish those effected at SOE will find other work soon. Saddens me deeply ever time I hear of cuts.
  3. ARCHIVED-Ciara52 Guest

My heartfelt hopes and best wishes go out to all who lost their positions today :(
    Just remember cut back does not mean you were not a valued employee it's just that hard choices had to be made.
    My husband was laid off 3 weeks ago :( and it is scary and sad especially when many years of your heart has gone into a job. Income is another and I wish you all to soon find other positions.
    Good luck to you all.
  4. ARCHIVED-Rubiade Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    I am really sad to hear that the team lost two people. Best wishes for them to find a new adequate job soon.

I am looking forward the Producer's letter.
  5. ARCHIVED-Tylia Guest

This is indeed very sad news. Best wishes to those affected.
  6. ARCHIVED-Harvash Guest

I understand they are only "authorized" to speak about EQ2 - but seeings I don't even know if there is an Agency Forum and the VG is locked unless you have a sub:

Why kill Agency that has had tons of new money put in it - but VG continues on. I realize it doesn't get any "people-based" support, but surely it has operational costs that could saved.

To clarify, I am not a VG hater - actually if they put someone back on it, I would be back to VG in a second but if it's not going to be maintained why spend the upkeep and kill a new project.
    Someday, they are going to see that if the issues were limited to one game, then strategies to replace or reduce those people would work. They don't work because it is not a problem that low on the totem pole, it's much higher. Like someone whose name starts with S and rhymes with Mr. Ed.

Anyhoo - game on.
  7. ARCHIVED-Etruscus Guest

Genryl@Guk wrote:
    The short answer is vanguard is almost certainly cash flow positive, while The Agency is an untested product with a current burn rate, i would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 750K / month, assuming a very small team of 10 devs. If it's more like 25 devs, which I imagine at this point they were pushing 40+, your looking at a burn rate of 1.5M or more / month
  8. ARCHIVED-MurFalad Guest

Best of luck to those who have to go, I experienced being laid off with my first job (Toshiba), it was definitely nothing personal but just life, I hope things turn out well in the end, life is still full of opportunities.

For SOE I'm not lamenting the agency going though, from a distance it looked to me like the game had some deep gameplay problems (at least before the team management left) like a wafty shooter at its heart which is a shame since the idea done right could be good.
    Neither am I lamenting the massive draw of resources (cash!) from established titles to fund new game after new game, perhaps now EQ2 can get the development it deserves, because its definitely a much different game to what they have shown us so far for EQNext, and I think a more Eve like future for a slightly more advanced Everquest game would fit EQ2 just right.
    Perhaps when I next get a chance to go to Fanfaire I'll be able to deliver the message personally ;) Probably not this this year, but definitely 2012!
  9. ARCHIVED-Juravael Guest

I'm sorry to hear this sad news.
    My thoughts go out to all of those that were affected.
  10. ARCHIVED-Pink_Poodle Guest

I feel really bad for those who lost their jobs, and their families. Hope things get better for them ASAP.
  11. ARCHIVED-MurFalad Guest

Genryl@Guk wrote:
    I do remember when The Matrix was closed down they mentioned that there were in the region of only ~1250 (1750?) people playing, and even then the closure was due to licensing costs.
    For Vanguard it has effectively free server hardware, some software licensing costs (or can they drop the license costs and run unsupported?) and a viable population.

Plus, if they did cancel it then what would they do the next Fanfaire when the Antonia Bayle costume didn't turn up and they only had the Vanguard one... :)
  12. ARCHIVED-Rasaraja Guest

So sorry to hear about the loss of income.
    One question: If SOE is "streamlining its 'global' workforce," why is it that only U.S. studios get to take the hit?
  13. ARCHIVED-K'hara Guest

Rubba@Kithicor wrote:
    Good question
  14. ARCHIVED-Harvash Guest

Etruscus wrote:
    Surely if it's cash positive they should have moved at least someone to the VG team, no wait - I am bringing logic to the discussion [EDIT: I really am thinking about the economy/employee relation thing with this - not the "omg, gimme a dev plz kkthx" kinda way]

I mean, I am not sure the janitor even shows up every night over there...
  15. ARCHIVED-PlaneCrazy Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    I'm sorry about the two people who lost their jobs. Hopefully they land on their feet and have great success at whatever new company they end up employed by. It really sucks that your industry (game development) doesn't seem to have any of the collective bargaining protection that most modern companies have nowadays. The decision of who looses their jobs should never be at the whim of executives, as they will go for the dollars every time.
    As for what this means for EQ2. this statement has me worried...
    "... additionally SOE will transition development efforts for the Denver and Tucson studios’ suite of products to its San Diego headquarters."
    Does this now mean that the EQ2 team will have more duties to handle, while having two less people in it's work force?
  16. ARCHIVED-Maurna Guest

My thoughts are with those that have just lost their jobs. We went through something similar with my husband's company recently and still keep in touch with those that are layed off in the Denver area, many have good prospects so there is hope.

I know it's doubtful that anyone from the LON team is reading this but maybe via word of mouth... Digital Direwolf seems to be hiring.

Best of luck to you all!
  17. ARCHIVED-Amnerys Guest

Rubba@Kithicor wrote:
    SOE only has employees in the US. We have no overseas offices.
  18. ARCHIVED-SmokeJumper Guest

Ogren@Unrest_old wrote:
    No, that shouldn't be an issue. The EQII team is focused on making EQII better. That's all.
  19. ARCHIVED-S_M_I_T_E Guest

EQ2 is foruntate only "2" token staff sacrifices were made to appease the SOE beast. Bad for those 2 but it could be worse, didn't EQ2 loose 5% staff the other summer? Could have been more than 2 people. Easily.
    1. The EQ2 senior producer should "suggest" that all SOE parasite games be cut like a bad limb from the company to his superiors.
    2. SOE has been run like Government General Motors with no focus. EQ1, EQ2, EQN, FR can stay. All that other stuff PoTBS, SWG, VG, etc. has to go. It's diluting your brand even if they're making "some" money.
    3. New games should have target audiences with money to spend 1st, development 2nd, execution 3rd, retention 4th.
    4. I guess I was wrong, there isn't a "offshore/frontcompany" for "hidden" SOE property. Loss of 1/3 of workforce = Can't be true. This is at "fraud market" 12K too. What happens if things get bad again and the U.S. ponzi scheme falls apart as our Fed Chairman said how close we are still to "total destruction?"
    5. SOE needs to plan for survival not growth. Don't worry about Blizzard, they'll get what's coming to them; they're sinking their own battleship slowly all by themselves.
  20. ARCHIVED-PlaneCrazy Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    Good to hear. You guys already have enough on your plate to have some of your team pulled off to work on other projects too.