Odd holy symbols in Qeynos catacombs

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu, Sep 23, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

I've always wondered about this, but never really tried to find out. In EQ1, the cult of Bertoxxulous in Qeynos was based in the Qeynos Catacombs. In EQ2 I've noticed holy symbols of Bristlebane and Innoruuk down there. Just curious as to the lore behind this. The human Cult of Innoruuk was based in Freeport in EQ1.
    Basically, is there a lore reason for these symbols or are they simply the byproduct of prelaunch zone rearrangement like Stormhold?
  2. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Got some pictures to show what you're talking about? I never recognized any diety symbols down in the sewer zones below Qeynos. I'm aware of all the symbols that lined the walls in the catacombs in EQlive though.
  3. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

[IMG]
    Innoruuk

[IMG]
    Bristlebane
  4. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

I'm half convinced they swapped the Q and FP sewer zones sometime before launch. Edgewater has always reminded me of the EQ1 Qeynos Catacombs with all of the blue tilework. Even the mobs seem wrong. Qeynos has "Ire Warlocks" and dark elves. Freeport has pirhanas, sharks, and an undead boss named "Pestilence".
  5. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Sure enough, that is Bristlebane's symbol, but that isn't Innoruuk's. Maybe it's just how tunnels were named, kinda like streets.
  6. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    It may be an older symbol no longer used, but that's definitely Innoruuk. It's his head profile.
    They're on every arch. Bristlebane in Down Below and Innoruuk in Vermin's Snye and Crypt of Betrayal.

[IMG]
  7. ARCHIVED-KniteShayd Guest

If memory serves, I actually recall a symbol item of Inny's head. It too is red in appearance and looks just like the symbol. I've noticed it too, but never really looked at it to realize it was Inny up there.
  8. ARCHIVED-Velenda Guest

Meaghan@Lucan DLere wrote:
    So that's what that is....All this time I thought it was a glowing flower. o_O
    I'm going to be so sad when qeynos gets a re-vamp....I just hope that the devs keep the catacombs intact. There is so much to see and explore down there...it's an adventure in and of it'self.
  9. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Hopefully the catacombs get a total revamp. Even back in the day it wasn't rewarding to hang out down there. Compaired to any other content the rewards are sub-par, the mobs are too densly packed, and you spend forever trying to farm up any named mobs you need for a quest.
    I do like the lore involved with the quests down there, but making progress on those quests is mind numbingly tedious. Just about everything involved with the sewers is like doing a book quest without the book reward. Less grindy, more exploration I would think is a good solution to what ails the quests for this zone.
  10. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Aren't they only consolidating the 4 inner city zones together into one giant zone, getting rid of the villages except for quest purposes, and not touching the sewer zones? I mean, they're technically seperate zones from Qeynos, and not part of the city proper. Just dungeon zones underneath the city.
  11. ARCHIVED-Velenda Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    What? Will the zones still be named?
    I have characicters with nice cozy houses in The Willow Wood, and Castleview Hamlet.
  12. ARCHIVED-Eugam Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Lookup SJ posts. He said its city and sewers.
    I am not sure what they are about, but my best guess is that they will then appear in the DF.
    I like those zones. No, i think they are some of the best zones of all mmorpg out there. They already got butchered by making them solo. Also the lightning changed imho (A torch and some bravery is all that you need ) and wasnt there specular and bumb mapping in the old days ? I remember rainy nights in Antonica. Couldnt see anything without a torch and my wet leather armor was shining due to specular mapping. Anyone remembering The Plaque ?
    I replayed them in the last few weeks. May they do to them whaterver they think is appropriate, i ll keep them in memory as they have been.

On topic: There was a time without EQ2Map. Those symbols helped to navigate. It was about chain killing placeholders for example Ire Mignons and to have a clue where you have been. To find your soulshard was easier as well :p At least this was what i was told back then.
  13. ARCHIVED-Arbreth Guest

I honestly hope they do not change the Qeynos sewers. This set of zones has, in my opinion, the best ambiance, details, graphics in the game. Even on a lower resolution the detail and color are amazing, this does not even start on the sounds that can be found down there or the lighting. Someone poured a lot of love and talent into these areas.
    Now, granted, the quests and such may need an over haul, but the zones themselves are fine.
  14. ARCHIVED-Velenda Guest

The zone has some amazing sights....
    [IMG]
    Really amazing...
    [IMG]
    It's like every corner, and every little nook, tells a story. Really it's one of the little 'hidden gems' of the game. I level locked my pally and I tried to do every quiest that I could down there...heck he still quests down there from time to time...grey or not it's still a fun adventure.
  15. ARCHIVED-mixx Guest

Velenda wrote:
    This reminds me alot of the symbols on the walls of the spires of innoruuk in neriak on eq1
    [IMG]
  16. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Velenda wrote:
    The Freeport sewer is likewise absolutely amazing with details, hidden gems. It is a shame so many never see the undergrounds of the cities.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    There are more like these and, rusty or not, I think they're incredible.
  17. ARCHIVED-Chorboy01 Guest

TBH the next expansion should be a huge Qeynos VS. Freeport expansion, the raid zones are your raid force going through the catacombs to get into the city. You kill guards as nameds and trash, tbh this would be THE expac as far as apperance of zones goes. In the end you make it into to castle and face Lucan/ Antonia
  18. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Wordon@Butcherblock wrote:
    In Lore terms that is a horrible idea. Facing and killing both rulers in such a situation can't be excused as a non-cannon "but they lived" unless the natural conclusion is the adventurers always fail. Honestly, the only way that would be workable would be for the adventurers to gather as defenders and save Lucan/Antonia from an invading force. That way you could say failures are non-cannon and the adventurers always save their ruler.
  19. ARCHIVED-Chorboy01 Guest

Meirril wrote:
    its not like lore hasnt been followed in this game before. Hey flying squirells? BAM there,
  20. ARCHIVED-KrescentWolf Guest

Flying Squirrels can be excused as they aren't an incredibly important force vying for supremacy over the land. Lucan And Antonia, on the other hand, are basically the basis for all the adventures that we adventurers are going on.

Killing Lucan and Antonia might be doable in a 'Mayong Mistmoore' in that he's not really dead even after you kill him... but honestly, that would be much harder to do with the two rulers.

Having 'war' raids, however, is an awesome idea. Fighting against qeynosian armies or freeportian legions sounds like an interesting raid.