"Nullification" bugged?

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Thyriel, Jan 26, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Thyriel Guest

Is it just me or is the lvl30 spell Nullification bugged? It seems to rarely interrupts an opponent (at least more rare then tongue twist currently does and that is a very old spell), also theres no icon showing how long the effect lasts, which is a little rediculious at the long casting time of it
  2. ARCHIVED-Thyriel Guest

3. ARCHIVED-Effie Guest

I rarely use Nullification or Flashfreeze.

Casting either of those has no tangible advantage over casting a nuke.
    A 4 second cast time makes both useless for interrupting spells unless you have a superhuman ability to predict when a mob will be casting...

These spells really need a 50-75% reduction in cast time in order to be of any use whatsoever.
  4. ARCHIVED-Banadux Guest

Aura of Darkness is a useful stun. Just keep grinding levels. I never used flashfreeze cause it's so slow to cast. Mob does nothing but stand there looking silly while under the affects of the aura of darkness spell. There is also the option to upgrade it at 40 which I did but haven't tried out it's longer stun duration. Aura of darkness seems to last about 3 to 4 ticks and does about 90 damage a tick.
  5. ARCHIVED-LowDownAndDirty Guest

The main purpose of those particular spells is to get the tank to stop taking damamge. They work wonders if say: the healer is low on mana, and the mob is about dead, the healer has aggro and the mob is inturrupting his casts, you're duoing with just a tank on ^^ mobs and you want to keep the tank from taking too much damage.

For soloing, those spells really are of no use solely based on their cast times. Later on you'll get paralyzine fear and cower, which plant the mob til it takes damage, then fears it for a few seconds... so IT kites YOU.

Level 50 'Lock
    Everfrost
  6. ARCHIVED-LowDownAndDirty Guest

forum lag is [FaarNerfed!]..
    Message Edited by LowDownAndDirty on 01-28-2005 10:39 AM
  7. ARCHIVED-Effie Guest

Dropping a few nukes in the time it takes to cast either one of these useless spells is far more effective than a spit second stun or a potential interrupt.

Dead mobs do no damage.

The 4 second cast time really cripples the usefulness of a stun/stifle.
    I can do well over 600 damage in the time it takes to cast either of these spells.
    Stuns are typically fast cast, long refresh spells. I have no idea who decided that a 400% cast time increase on Flashfreeze (from Freeze) would be acceptable.
  8. ARCHIVED-LowDownAndDirty Guest

I agree; however, a dead tank or dead healer typically means a dead caster too. They aren't spells that you always use, they are spells used in order to save someone's butt. Sometimes it's not about dealing damage, but rather mob management. My outlook on those spells is a bit different though, because I'm usually out duoing with a tank or in a group without a healer more often than not.

Level 50 'Lock
    Everfrost
  9. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

So, Nullification is used to save your tank somewhat?

Then, why am I affraid to use that spell?

Every time I cast Nullification on a mob our Lvl 28 Guardian and Berzeker loose aggro and the mob comes to me.

Using this spell when things starting to go bad is the last thing I wanna do really.

Despite I look forward getting new spells, this Nullification is useless since I really don't want the aggro.

Or is this solely to the fact that I'm 2-3 levels higher??
  10. ARCHIVED-Sokolov Guest

On Flashfreeze, I find that I wish it was up more often. Because there are only so many good nukes at any given level anyway. Recast timers on the other spells alone sometimes means you might as well be casting FF, especially if the alternative is Ice Spike (yes, it's a good spell, but it's effectiveness scales down as you level up so...).

Another thing, is, yea, if your tank is dying, nuking it once more won't do you much good if the mob isn't nearly dead. But a stun, even for 1 second, may be all that the healer needs.

Since getting Paralyzing Fear, I have used it inconjunction with Stun a lot. Mob aggros me, I Stun it and send it on its way. Add? Stun and fear. This is especially useful if the add is on you or the healer. The tank can usually take a few hits, but we can't really take hits, and you don't want your healer getting killed or even interrupted either.
  11. ARCHIVED-Sokolov Guest

I don't like grouping withtanks that aren't at least 3 levels above me for aggro reasons. But yes, Nullification is pretty bad aggro. But I've found on caster mobs it doesn't matter much, once nullified they seem to do significantly less damage anyway.
  12. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

Nah, we are "fixed" group of 5 really and group every time.

I know it would be better if I was 28 and the tank 31, but I don't wanna force others to level just because I get aggro :)

You just adapt to the situation I guess.
  13. ARCHIVED-Sokolov Guest

Well, true...
    I guess it's more annoying (not to mention boring) than anything else. Also feels like wasting potential ><
  14. ARCHIVED-BaronVonPitviper Guest

Hmm, I was always under the impression that Nullification was a spell to use against named or really tough caster mobs. Situational spell really. I don't think you are supposed to use it soley for the interupt, but mainly for the lowering of the caster's ability level. I read somewhere that is has a very long duration, so it only needs cast once on a mob. I have no evidence to say if it works also on melee skills or if it's only for npc spells. I use it in hopes that the mob will not nuke as hard as it normally can, because tanks generally take a huge beating from spell damage.

I do know that it has a super long range, longer than any other spell we have that I've tried.
  15. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

OK, I thought the problem occurred coz I was 2 levels higher than "my fixed tank (Lvl 29)" and the Nullification was too strong or too new to use with a 29 tank.

I'm 31 and yesterday I grouped with some higher level people to enter RoV and to see what Nullification does.
    The tank was a 34 Paladin and there was a 37 Templar.
    The moment I cast Nullification I got the aggro, I stopped doing damage but nobody could take the aggro away from me. I was just standing still, doing no more further damage or aggro, but the mobs kept aggroing me till they died. (Luckily we had 2 healers in the group, who healed like mad to keep me alive)

Also, I find it remarkable that I got aggro twice without doing anything.
    I watch my steps, I don't run up front, I never stand on the outsides of a group, but for some reason the mobs passed the 2 healers and other players and aggro'd me instead.
    Really fun with Very Light Armor :)

I don't cast Nullification time after time on a mob, only once, but I don't even dare using it on a named mob (as someone suggested).
  16. ARCHIVED-Ingrata Guest

Since this thread was started quite some time ago, I'm just going to say that the description covers most of the questions about the spell. It doesn't seem to interrupt the mob as it brings down a whole bunch of their skills. I do use this spell if the mob isn't going to be a two hit kill.
  17. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

Mh, the problem is not what the spell cast, my issue is that it breaks the aggro from the MT and the mob comes to me.

I don't get aggro when the mob is halfway down, but I assume you throw in Nullication amongst the first spells, like Curse of Darkness, right?

Well, I haven't tried it on non arrow up mobs, we usually try to take down ^^ mobs.
  18. ARCHIVED-Fepple Guest

I am guessing this post was created and then flashfreeze changed afterwards? Because of all these people saying its useless doesnt sound like the same spell to me :)

When soloing, if a root breaks and your at the edge of being in range to cast oyur nukes, hit with flashfreeze and re-root with loads of time to spare.

At 30 it also hits consistantly harder than my secondry nukes and casts faster. So casting it in a group helps get higher DPS, and noticably stops the tank taking damage.