NuB Questions Minimap and Opening Chests

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by DrLd, Feb 15, 2018.

1. DrLd New Member

NuB to this game (and complex UI). How do you get a minimap on screen? I can get the regular map using backspace but don't see an option for a minimap. Also how do you open a barrel, chest, etc. without having to destroy it?
  2. Carynn Well-Known Member

Ctrl + M is the minimap. I don't understand your second question. How do you mean destroy it? For a quest? Something in your bag? Most of the time you double click it and it opens, or right click and select open.
  3. DrLd New Member

Thanks for your reply As of this week, the game seems to have a new interface. Ctrl + M now calls up an Actions menu. The only keystrokes associated with a map are "backspace" and "M". These display a map with menu controls along 3 borders. It's not a true minimap. For my second question above: In the tutorial, while exploring, you come across barrels, chests, etc. ATM the only way I can get the contents is to destroy the item. Can't figure a way to open them, but I've seen other players do it.
  4. Finora Well-Known Member

o_O

That sounds pretty bizarre. As far as I know nothing has changed about the game interface.

There are chests, barrels, vases, and such in the game that you have to destroy to get at (or even see if there is anything inside) but those aren't everywhere.

I can only think of a couple of things that might be your problem.

1) You aren't playing the game you think you are (pretty unlikely)

2) You've managed to switch the default keyboard to something other than the Everquest 2 Default (or your personal custom one) in which case you'll have to go to options and change it back. It's a drop down menu at the bottom soon as you open up options.
  5. Carynn Well-Known Member

As Finora said, you might have a different UI enabled for EQ2, possibly censusui since that is an interface. Go to Options (Alt + O) and at the bottom is as dropdown box where you can select EQ2 default. Then click accept. Common key bindings are:

M for Map
    Ctrl + M for mini map
    Ctrl + N and Ctrl + C for clock and compass
    N for tradeskill recipies
  6. Porrum Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you're playing Everquest, not Everquest 2.

If so, you can find the forums for Everquest here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php

You can place the "Open" command (from that Actions menu) on a hotkey, and then when targeting a barrel or crate, use that hotkey to open it without destroying it.

I don't think there is a minimap in EQ, but you might be able to find a custom UI that works for you here: http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/index.php?
    Dude and Finora like this.
  7. DrLd New Member

Thanks for all the replies. Thought I was playing EQ2, but Steam installed EQ. Had to delete all files, reinstall, and start over. Curious (before the reinstall) the Steam file directories indicated that EQ2 was installed.
  8. Finora Well-Known Member

I've heard that there have been issues with steam installs, but installing the wrong game completely wow!

I hope you get it straightened out and if you haven't already, maybe report to Steam support that their link is installing the wrong game.