Now I just...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Oldtimer, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Oldtimer Active Member

...log in for a few minutes each day to do my daily, then log off as I don't want to play my alts and try to level them to 95 as the knowledge that I can get free level 85s soon is too demoralising. And I can't be bothered to play my 95s as I know there is a loot revamp coming, And I can't be bothered to run scornfeathers for worse loot, and after fighting bots for spawns in clefts enough to get about 25 keys and then getting 22 bronze, 2 silver and 1 gold key was like.. bleh.

Anyone else suffering from game fatigue?
  2. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Nope. I'm suffering from move fatigue. Damn all these boxes and stairs.:p

As far as my characters go, they're already into their 20s and maxed in tradeskills, so I'm not really paying much attention to heroic toons, though I might make a quick beastmaster if it's an option.
    Feara likes this.
  3. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

sounds about right
  4. oldskool Active Member

I don't undestand this at all.

The level 85 character won't have all the AAs. In fact, it may have less than 20. It won't have your achievements. It won't have all the HQs you've completed. It won't have the languages you've learned. Any of that.

I'm curious, is the game for you just mindless killing and gear grinding? Because it can be so much more.

Here's a suggestion - change the game. Make getting all the Achievements your goal. Then whatever happens with loot revamps or Heroic characters won't affect you much at all.
  5. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Everything is changing is a couple of weeks.
  6. Filly67 Well-Known Member

Most of us have been that done that. We have played the game in every direction.
  7. Ruckus Well-Known Member

I log in on my 7 crafter alts to do daily crafting, etc. I log in my main to raid 3x a week for 9 hours. I log out and go play Path of Exile until it is time to raid again.

Now, if they'd just let swashbucklers be neutral on the PvE servers (without paying $50 to cheat the system and transfer to and from a PvP server), I'd be logging in to do evil city quests, so I can get over 5000 quests done.

If it wasn't for raiding, I'd have quit this game a long time ago.
  8. Oldtimer Active Member

I want to be engaged, I've tried other games and left dissatisfied. In fact most all the other games I've tried also seem underpopulated. Is the whole MMO genre just kinda dying out?
  9. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Nothing's dying out. There's just a lot of healthy competition for people's attention these days.
    Sclerotia likes this.
  10. Jamagh New Member

I just did the darklight woods quests on my paladin. Unless you mean actually going into the city and doing the quests in there.
  11. Ruckus Well-Known Member

Yes, quests that you can only get for being evil aligned in Neriak and Freeport (or for evil characters, it's Kelethin and Qeynos.)
  12. Deago Well-Known Member

Nothing is going under but the entire "Grind/Quest for levels/gold/gear" has been done and done and did I say done? Something innovative as I have stated before needs to be done. So maybe eqnext tries a new approach.
  13. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

the grind is not 1 - 90, it is 90 to 95, so this is changing nothing
  14. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I don't think the genre is dying out, but I think our expectations need to change in order to be happy with what is evolving. Gone are the halcyon days of being so engaged in the game that hours passed hardly without noticing it. As more and more 'mainstream' people get involved in gaming who aren't really 'gamers', games go where the money is: Mainstream. (kind of cyclical explanation...)

More and more, games are in bite sized pieces, not long epic adventures that you can only do if you are 'good' at the game. It seems like things are just being handed to people, but I don't think that's true completely. If you are a seasoned, experienced gamer, it looks like quests are super easy. To someone just logging in who is the mainstream I was talking about - it could be really tough to complete some of the stuff.

The best comparison I can think of is an elementary school classroom today. The teachers are forced to move the class at the pace of those that are slowest so they don't get left out. The faster, smarter students that learn intuitively and grasp subjects more quickly, are left to their own devices and usually bored to tears. The teachers (devs in our case) don't WANT to do it, but that's how the funding dictates they run the class.

Now that gaming companies have had a taste of mainstream funding (subscriptions and/or microtransactions), they are not probably ever going to be able to go back.

Just my 2.
    Regolas and Oldtimer like this.
  15. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I remember failing a math test in grade 8. I missed the notice that it was to happen and was happily studying and half way through the grade 9 algebra book at the time. Didn't review the old material. Now having said that, it sorta says something about the foundation of the math I was learning back then. Should not have failed a previous level due to having moved on.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  16. Jalek Active Member

EQ2 has been trying to be something else since launch. It started out unique with many different-styled zones and different features, even if the mechanics were already stale. For example, NPC's that indicated quests by motion or voiceovers, but another MMO launched the same month with a different system so they did that. It also had less varied graphics, so they did that, etc. Finally, when looking at F2P, they followed the Korean model and implemented not new armor quests, but gear grinds. EQ2 seems bland today because it is, it's a little of everything and nothing all that unique. Housing seems to be the main area nobody else has bothered to do themselves, so EQ2 has had to keep with it's own system without another to copy.

I've been playing the huge number of RPG's I ignored over the years while playing EQ2 extensively. I have a few more years of backlog to get through before being bored enough to do any real grinding in any MMO. Don't get me wrong, I like the F2P trend, because it offsets another trend that seems to be plaguing the industry, that of overpromising and underdelivering, and not just in MMO's. Gamers are pretty forgiving, and studios have been taking advantage of that for a long time, but these days it seems more often than not the buggy half-done mess that gets released merely scratches the surface of what the marketing materials indicated.
    Regolas and Arielle Nightshade like this.
  17. Finora Well-Known Member

I'm not particularly worried about the genre fading away just yet. It has just changed. Gone are the days when people had only 1-3 real choices of games to play. There are dozens of real contenders these days. The people who play are spread across the lot of them. SOE has what? Five or six alone not counting the little kid ones. I don't know that you'll ever see the massive piled all in one spot populations of the past beyond the first month or two of the release of the 'new hot' mmo. Exceptions possibly being some of the Asian games.

Every veteran player eventually gets hit with game fatigue. If you are sick of what you are doing, time to stop & do something else for a while. I've done this periodically (keep several other MMOs & single player games loaded on my computer). I always end up back here & glad to be here. You could even just walk away from gaming for a while & take up some other hobby for a time.
    Feara and Deveryn like this.
  18. Rosie Active Member

What I am gonna say is from my perspective only. I am 55 year old.. As of last week hehe. There are manyyy 25 and under players in the game whose only concern is hitting 95 and getting the best gear possible.

To me, gear is, not meaningless, but not the sole basis of why I play. I can't stand raiding. Raid for 9 hours? I'd kill myself first.

I love the game. I love the crafting and the fun things to do. However, I do wish SOE would stop pampering the 95s with new content and pay some attention to those of us in the 20-80 range.

BBM, TS gets old. I hate Zek and there aren't enough quests in Enchanted Lands to get you anywhere. You can only run Runnyeye so many times. I wish they would add a few more outdoor zones for those level ranges. Something new and pretty.

As for the genre dying out.. no, like previously stated, there are many games out there and I think people are just moving around trying out the other options.

I just recently started playing LOTRO again.. And I still can't stand it LOL.

*Waves hi to Nergal..
    Feara, Arielle Nightshade and Deveryn like this.
  19. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

EQ1 fully trained me to HATE /lfg and raids. I'll never /lfg again most likely. Raiding I have to be coerced into.
    Feara likes this.
  20. Ahupu Well-Known Member

So someone charms you and you come to in the middle of a raid wondering how did I get here?

Edit: sorry Dulcenia couldn't help myself.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.