"Normal" combat chain....??

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Decipio243, Mar 18, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Decipio243 Guest

Hi all - I play a higher level ranger on the Bazaar server, saw a deal on a Ranger/tailor on Station exchange and picked him up.... I figured ranger would be close to my Assassin in terms of play... I am very wrong. :)

The Ranger is level 41, Just upgraded him to full Fulginate chain, (2) 24dps daggers, and a pristine Cedar bow(36dps) His jewelry is still lacking, but I am slowly upgrading all of that... Most skills are either app4, or adept1...

While I realize his gear is a little lacking, I'm wondering what I am doing wrong. One even con mob is a pretty tough fight at the moment, and if I get adds, im pretty much just having to run.

My typical encounter starts with me in stealth, max bow range...I attack with "Hidden Fire" and before I can get off another shot, hes in melee range, I then do my typical Start HO, Cheapshot, go behind, Pouncing attack, Crippling blade. Repeat till one of us is dead.

Is there a more effective way? it seems all my HIGH damage attacks are with my bow, yet no matter what I lead with, I get only One shot off before the mobs are to me. I try Sniping shot, but basicaly the snare doesn't matter they are to me.

any suggestions would be greatly appreicated. I know not many people are enjoying the Ranger class at the moment, so I'm expecting a few wierd answers. :) Actual talk on tactics would be lovely. :)
  2. ARCHIVED-Craith Guest

Yeah, solo its a bit hard, try to engage from max distance, then you should be able to get 2 shots in. Cheapshot is your friend, hit the mob, back away a few steps and let the arrows fly. On enemies without up arrows you'll get about 3 shots in, enemies with arows require a quick casting one.
    You can get another stun via the Achievement System, Agility line. It lasts 4 seconds on every mob, but it will be nerfed in the future
    Your 3rd posibility are stun poisons, but I think there are only legendary ones below T6. If you use them, use a long delay attack, to increase the chance that it procs on the pull and keeps the enemy at bay.

Next Live Update we'll get a short root, same tactic will apply ... root, back away, shoot. We'll also get a damage boost to auto attack and some of our skills, so it will get easier to solo.

You can also try to kite, that means running in circles around the enemy. Use your Snare, use Legshot as soon as you get it (42 if I remember correctly), stun poisons if you can afford them. Always run backwards, so you can fire your bow on the run. Most skills cant be used on the run, but you'll get Storm of Arrows at 50 (our Backshot can also be used on the run ... but the enemy won't let us behind him easily (unless stunned))
    When the stun ist ready, let mob close, stun, and shoot. If you have enough distance due to your better speed, fire one CA

I like soloing with my ranger, it takes a bit more movement and time (and some gold for the poisons), but I couldn't just stand in front of the mob, hitting 1,2,3,4 till its dead :D

Happy Hunting, and may the Masters be with you!

Craith
  3. ARCHIVED-Writer Cal Guest

Craith offered some good advice.
    Another thing I might mention is that different bow CAs have different casting times, long and short. From max distance, I usually can't get two long casting CAs off before the mob gets to me (I do occasionally, but it's rare.) But I can always get one long and one short in. The ones with the shorter casting times tend to have smaller damage, and the long casting ones tend to have much bigger damage. So I'll usually open with one of my long casting, big damage bow CAs and then very quickly fire off a short casting, smaller damage bow CA. Unless I'm lagging, I rarely have any problems fitting two in before the mob gets to me.
    Play around with your different bow CAs when opening a fight and learn which ones are best to use in what order.
  4. ARCHIVED-Bayler_xev Guest

You picked a bad time to become a 41 ranger. :) It'll be better after the next live update, probably.

Use poisons. Always.

The back-shot line can be used on the run. If cheap shot is ready, but your stealth-back attack isn't, consider stunning the mob, running through him, and firing off a back-shot while getting some extra distance.

The back-shot line also has a built-in snare. That gives you more time to shoot, if you open with it.

At level 44, you'll get Leg Shot - another snare. It's good used in conjunction with the stealth-shot line.
  5. ARCHIVED-BSbongo Guest

your problem comes from buying a character instead on playing your character. start a ranger at level 1 and you'll do fine

Message Edited by bongotez on 03-19-200611:49 AM
  6. ARCHIVED-Decipio243 Guest

Luckly, I play on a Station Exchange server, which - allows buying and selling of characters.
    For everyone else, thank you... I'm slowly getting more comfortable, and getting a bit better. My Dps is slowly going higher and higher. :)
    Again, thanks for the great advice.
  7. ARCHIVED-Saihung23 Guest

All things considered you didnt ask what anyone thought about buying and selling char's....so everyone should keep their opinion quiet. This is a person asking for assistance...regardless of your opinions try to help him.
    I cant really add to what the other folks said, they summed it up really. Poisons, buy em store em and use em.
    Also, remember the cheapshot trick...use it whenever the mob has closed the distance. cheapshot, move through the mob, longshank (not the name for you at lvl 41) which then stealths, then do the specific rear attack, if it isnt heroic, then you still have time for one more which would mean do the deagro that stealths you and use the flame stealth melee ca. This is the one to do last in the rear attack sequence since it isnt positional based. You can have the mob turn on you and still get it off.
    If you dig a bit deeper into the ranger forums you will find quite a few threads that detail the combat routines people use.

Good Luck Ranger
    Saihung
  8. ARCHIVED-Sulas Guest

Since you thoroughly understand the melee end coming from being an assassin, I doubt I can help. However, I don't think anyone mentioned the debuffs. (and yeah... you picked a helluva time to play a ranger)

I am currently 45 (so you don't the Legshot ability yet); here's how it usually goes for me.

Stealth
    Hidden Fire (and queue up Triple Shot/Triple Fire)
    Triple Fire (because it's a fast CA and we need that since the mob is charging us)

start my HO
    progress the HO with 'Pick Off' for the debuff
    finish HO with a melee CA

Debuff with Entrap
    Then I usually Rip/Tear
    Start a new HO or just go right to
    Cheap Shot

Then you can backpedal or jump through for a back shot.
    If no Ranged is ready then you should have time for at least one set of stealthing CA/ Stealthed damage like Raven Embers.

Have fun.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you can buff with the very short damage buff 'Take Aim' while stealthed. It is a great way to increase that initial 'Hidden Fire' shot.

Message Edited by Sulas on 03-20-200605:28 PM
  9. ARCHIVED-Cwn Annwn Guest

I am a level 52 Ranger with average equipment and CAs. Most of my gear is decent for my level and am currently using Plaited Scorpion's Tail and A miner's pick as weapons (I keep a slashing and piercing in either hand to max skills). Most of the CAs are Adept I with a couple Adept III. You mentioned you were having problems with even con mobs - Even after LU20, I never had a problem with even cons and could generally take up to 2 one-downs or 3 three-downs (mostly blues though). I can still generally take mobs up to three or four levels higher.

Here is my general strategy using 45th level spells. I have two poisons up - a medium initial damage, medium ascending damage and a debuff - i generally use debuff to slashing damage. I make sure I have the DPS added stance - I believe it is Arrow Frenzy at your level. I stealth and get in max range to mob (I am still using the Bloodlet bow - long bow). I use a macro with Take Aim and Hidden Fire. I then follow with Crippling Arrow or Sharp Shot. Assuming you hit everything, the mob should be in the yellow by the time it gets to you - I then use my melees. Before, I attack, I normally have my stance hotkeyed to the defensive stance - Adroit, I believe for 45. You should also use Veil of the Forest for more DPS. I attack with Survival of the Fittest, Deadly Reminder, Blazing Thrust, and Tear. At this point, I use Cheap Shot, back up a few paces and use Triple Fire. The mob should be pretty low by now so you can hop back in and melee some more. If he is still kicking, Cheap shot comes active pretty quick - I would then use Cheap Shot with a macro of Surveil and Crippling Blade followed by Pounding Attack and Raven Embers.

The mob should always be dead by then - I can generally kill them (mostly around my level - either one level up or one level down) - someone above, though, did have the right suggestion - it is far harder to just buy the character and start immediately having your strategy. Mine developed over 52 levels of playing the Scout, Predator, Ranger.

By the way, most all of those combat arts upgrade by the time you hit 52 - Rangers can still put out good damage - granted not as much as pre LU20 - but an impressive amount nonetheless. Wait until you get Storm of Arrows - used in tandem with Natural Selection, Focus Fire, and Thorny Trap - I have taken 4 three-down arrow mobs about my level.

Play the ranger and try different things.