No respect for the wizzy

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by ARCHIVED-enab, Nov 17, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-enab Guest

I am just a natural born caster. Every single MMO I play I am a blaster or nuker, whatever you want to call me. Now I don't want to sound like im whining about this because its really no big deal but, at the end of a hard mob that i did like 30-40% of the damage to you always here "nice heals" or "wow, great job tanking man." WHAT THE FREAK ABOUT ME! I killed most of those guys before they had time to kill you. No love for the caster, its a shame.
  2. ARCHIVED-Xeriez Guest

Back of afew an see them try to take it themselves. hehe they will learn quick.
  3. ARCHIVED-Oystein Guest

I like to have casters in my groups and I know you deal a lot of damage.

When healers get credit for their job its usually because its a bit harder keeping all alive than target a mob and nuke away.
    In groups I have been in the tank get credit when he keeps the aggro from several mobs troughout the fight. That also can be a bit more difficult than the nukers job.

Just my 2 cent.

Skrubb lvl 14 Druid <Runnyeye UK prefered>
  4. ARCHIVED-Ulkesh Guest

yeah its easy to sit there and chain nuke, but when you start getting your *** kicked because you are generating more agro than a tank, it gets difficult real fast.

in all mmo's wizards/nukers have to play it smart. we can still dish out alot of damage, but we have to anticipate just how much we can do before we get the crap smacked out of us.

keeping agro for a tank during a fight should be easy if the casters are playing smart.

i play with a solid group and i do my share, in close battles sometimes the only thing that saves us is a painful meditation and two more blazes. don't feel bad if you being overlooked, just know that your doing a good job if you dont die repeatedly by drawing agro.
  5. ARCHIVED-Zabumtik Guest

In EQ it was the same way. Only until Wizards started getting lure type spells (spells that have a much lower chance to be resisted) at the upper end of the game did we start getting some respect. Before that, the praise always went to the healer and tank. I'm playing a Templar main now and loving it but have a back pocket mage (will be a Sorceror of some sort) that I take out when I'm bored with healing.

I've given my share of praise to Sorcerors in groups. Especially when they take down a room full of critters with AoE spells. So much good nukeage.

However, look at this from another perspective. You know those awesome AoE spells you all get? Well mobs get 'em too. As a Templar, I absolutely despise Sorceror type encounters. Before I know it my whole party is at half health and I'm just starting a group heal hehe. Wizards have my respect. Just try to convince your enemy brethren to back off on the AoE nukeage. :)
  6. ARCHIVED-TheRealDude Guest

ive never heard praise for stopping a caster from casting either =/ .... chain casting stiffle spells and stunns to keep em from nuking tank or healing
    Message Edited by TheRealDude on 11-19-2004 02:15 PM
  7. ARCHIVED-SoranSlithis Guest

Heh, yeah. I always see people saying nice job to the tank and healers. Also people say to the Ranger or scouts nice damage, yet no one says that to me :p. Oh well.
    Message Edited by SoranSlithis on 11-19-2004 06:02 PM
  8. ARCHIVED-Zabumtik Guest

Oh man... against some of the caster mobs I've faced in Stormhold, I would LOVE to have a stifling mage with me. Just make them stop casting spells. That's all I ask!
  9. ARCHIVED-Zabumtik Guest

Depends on your group. After a big encounter of 5 or more critters, with a sorc or two AoEing, the praise starts to come out. For some reason, I think people see mages as elitest maybe. All that damage in one little fragile package makes them think... "Hmm why should I praise the big damage dealer hiding behind the taunts?" When at the end of the fight it's that big damage that allows me to save on power for heals. Will take some getting use to after OLD EQ. Where Wizards couldn't keep up with damage over time like rogues and big damage shields.

Of course, in this rendition of EQ, you guys can AoE HARD instead of AoEing once in old EQ and getting your butt kicked after one spell.
  10. ARCHIVED-Pkay Guest

trust me.... post lvl 23 the entire makeup of a group changes.

a group isnt a group without a wizard.... why? because a scout subclass might be able to do 1k dmg to start a fight but at lvl 25 ball of fire is hitting for about 350 a pop and bot is hitting for about 200. so in about 15 seconds ive done more dmg than that scout did and by the end of the fight i've done twice more dmg than any one else in the battle.

groups need wizards
  11. ARCHIVED-Zcenicx Guest

I've never had any problems with respect actually.

I had a rouge once who thought his DPS was way overpowerful til he saw the Spike/Blaze chain... I do a norm of like 250 dmg with those two combined... He shut off his oral interface shortly after that :smileytongue:

Anyways, when it comes to real hard DPS the Wizzies are IMHO the best class there is, but I prefer having a guardian to keep that from meaning mage tanking. Not fun when you dont have more than very light armor :smileysad:
  12. ARCHIVED-ShamaKavella Guest

I got only one question.

How did you people hit 25 allready?! WoW!!! I mean, I've basically destroyed my life, ignored my friends, hardly gone to work, spent every waking moment possible at the keyboard, and I've only just reached 20. Granted, I was the 12th Wizard on my server, and there are thousands of players behind me who still have lives, goto work, talk to their friends, and do their laundry, but **ZOMG**. TWENTY FIVE?!
  13. ARCHIVED-Duat Guest

I hate when the main tank thinks his job is to deal damage and goes low on power due to that so that he can't taunt and you can't nuke. When I played a tank in EQ1 I took pride in protecting my group, not in dealing damage. Anyway, even so it's quite amusing to see the tank deal about the same damage as your best dot. And then you let loose the real artillery.
  14. ARCHIVED-Zcenicx Guest

How to get to mid twentys fast?

1-12 is doable in 10 hours straight.
    13-16 is Blackburrow grinding.
    17-20 is Stormhold grinding.
    20+ is Steppes grinding.

It's good when you got a full guild group to help out too :smileyhappy:

It's also good to have done this trice already in beta and know exactly where to go and who to speak to...