Newish Beastlord

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by NyteRose, Mar 30, 2017.

1. NyteRose Member

Hello,

Rolled a Fae beastlord and have levelled her to 10 so far and have a couple quick questions, I used to play a 35 BL around the time they came out or so and have completely forgotten how to play! lol Anyway :

1. Weapons - should I dual wield or use a two-hander? I actually prefer dual wielding hand to hand type weapons for that classic EQ1 flavor, or just use whatever gives the best stats/looks for my current level?

2. Warders - Offensive or defensive? I enjoy fighting side by side with the pet and used a bear on my old BL (also a Fae; there's nothing cuter/cooler than a tiny fairy beating down orcs and gnolls!)

Thanks everyone
  2. santargria Well-Known Member

I prefer to dual wield myself - I'm not a min/maxer and just prefer that style of fighting

For a warder my advice is get one of each and make sure your train them all to GM - my preference is my Tiger since I'm a Kerran anyway - but those are my preferences and game style

Good luck with whatever you choose
  3. NyteRose Member

@ santargria

Thank you for the reply. I do not min/max either and will just stick with dual wielding and I'll work on all the warder families :)
  4. Entropy Well-Known Member

At end game you'll be forced into dual wielding. When leveling just use whatever you like. You can put whatever item you want in the appearance slot and get the graphic you desire.

Warders are a matter of preference largely. Look at their special abilities and decide what works best for you. Note that defensive warders tend to not be very defensive, so go with a merc for that if you need a pocket tank or healer.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  5. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

upon doing spiritual time line you will get 1 portion that allow you get one warder instantly to level 6 - I highly recommend do this with dire warder (you need it for brutal beatdown primal anyway).
    Warder to use as Entropy said - largely appearance preference with small caviar. Once you get to point when you start utilize you Ascending buff you damage type will change and the only difference between warders (offensive) is what they debuff - saying that
    Dire warder - debuff moderately all type of damage (choice for geo or basically just something that good all around)
    Insect - heavy debuff nox (thaumaturgist primo choice)
    Drake - I think debuff elemental (elementalist)
    Enchanted - debuff - magical (primo choice for etheralist)
    Consider this about using weapon
    Nowadays scouts its just melee mages - your autoattack don't do any good but you will utilize some procs hence you need something fast thus dual wield or fast 1 hander with shield just about as good
    P.S.
    Bear is defensive warder - its have good side (like AoE healing) but I'd not use it unless I am in spiritual stance for feral you want something more aggressive with ability to debuff so your attacks net more damage. But for pure cute looking choice there are couple awesome warders - Meatbeast (from top of Nektulos castle) - I believe he is "enchanted" type of warders. I also found it's rather funny to have cows (as a bovine type) and antonica spotted pigs (as a boar type). Frankly battle animation on cows da best :D
  6. NyteRose Member

@DoomDrake

Thank you for your reply. I'm using a bear pet right now but plan on getting either a feline or rodent warden soon. Can't wait till I'm lvl 85 and can get the tame exotic warders ability, I already have my eyes and heart set on an owlbear :)
    DoomDrake likes this.
  7. Tajar Well-Known Member

AA's are not level locked anymore, so you may be able to get that AA sooner than 85 :)
  8. gaymer77 Active Member

Since this is a noobish thread about BL I'll piggyback here with my question. I know that you have to level up your warder 1-6 and in order to do so you have to have your warder use an ability and you also use some sort of ability on the mob. My question is: Does the exp/affinity gain scale with how much exp you gain as a character or is it a static amount of exp/affinity per mob regardless of the exp YOU gain as a character?
  9. gaymer77 Active Member

I actually prefer using a staff over dual wielding. Nothing like using monk style attacks with staves while your pet eats mob face :cool:
  10. Treiko Active Member

Pet affinity has nothing to do with your personal exp gain. It is simply based on you using advantages and primals. Now, I cannot say for sure if you get more affinity for using more advantages or not. My own experience tells me anything more than one use is rather pointless. I could be wrong.
  11. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

word of advice
    Eventually you need/want to level ALL warders to level 6 but some are more important than others
    Spend you portion on dire warder (=instantly get brutal beatdown primal)
    As soon as you done that go to either Nagena or Jasarth Wastes (not sure about other places) and catch drake warder and spend quality time leveling that warder because once you get drake to level 6 you will get your 5th Primal - Dragon Breath and with those 2 you will running for rest of your BL career :)
    Number 3 warder to level should be amphibian - turtle will do a trick :) - you need this one to get Noxious grasp - one of harder hitting none position based primals (second slot)
    Number 4 warder should be doggie - for position based - savage ravaging exceptionally hard hitting single target primal from slot 4
    After that - do as you please :)
    What use to be once upon time our most powerful stealth primal (shadow leap - cat, silent talon - bird, sonic screech - bat) no longer even have even space on our primal bar and reason for that double cast. We can't double cast (per se) while we in stealth there is an exception thou - trickster mockery deity miracle (Bristlebane) - it grant you 3 min when every single stealth attack can be executed from none stealth condition and under trickster mockery you can double cast shadow leap, eagle talons and sonic screech
    Also of course remember - warders skins its where fun is :). I been lazy in spotting and catching up funny warders but still I have 2 for my amusement I got in Antonia - Cow and Spotted Pig :). I have tried couple times catch meat beast on top of Nektulos Castle but always forgetting turn off all procs :) so he died faster than I could pet him :)
  12. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Use camel or cow :D .. pig also nice (I recommend black boar from Nektulos castle)
  13. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Better way or doing it - head to HKC pull whole floor and use 4th weakness. Basically affinity grows on per kill base but triggers once weakness procs. Hence AoEing everything with 4th weakness prolly fastest way (feel free to toss here and there Luclin Pain - I think primals also counts toward affinity)
  14. NyteRose Member

What is the owlbear warder like? Has anybody tested one? I really have my heart set on an owlbear for the pure cuteness factor :)
  15. Lil Mantis Member

I have the warboar from a previous expansion /claim reward. Not sure what class warder that is and my BL is only level 39.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  16. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

lucky you ... I wish I could get warboar warder (its boar type) anyway I settle for Antonica spotted pig :)
  17. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

I never seen one have it. Not sure if they are even tamable.
    In the end all warders more or less same with some caviars - offensive warders differ on debuffs, defensive all more or less the same but some do decent group healing (bear)
    P.S. became curious and found - yes owlbears are tamable they "mystical" type of warder (defensive)