Newbie Question :)

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Shum, Apr 20, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Shum Guest

Sorry if this is something I should know already :)

Just started playing the game about a week ago and recently (lvl 10+) I have been bombarded by various spell upgrade choices and specific enemy spell choices. I have played quite a few MMORPGs in the past and I am curious how much these choices affect your ability for end-game play. In addition, I am currently planning on going warlock and I was wondering if someone could clue me in the the best upgrades to chose for the subclass.

Currently I am stuck on an enemy choice between: Ghosts, Skeletons, and Zombies. Does it really matter? And if not which ones (spell choices etc.) are a big deal that I need to get right.

Thanks for the Info!
  2. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

You cannot make wrong decisions, the decisions will define your personal character.
    As a mage you should pick the choices (race traits or speciliazed traits) that increase you intelligence.
    Read carefully, coz some upgrading traits are an "augmentation" and others are placed permanently on you. I'd pick the one that are placed permanently, coz the 'augmentation' choices have a really really long recast timer making them worthless.

As for Ghosts, Skeletons or Zombies.
    I don't know for Freeport side, but I'd pick skeletons-master strikle coz there are a lot in Stormhold, Thundering Steppes, Nektulos Forest and Ruins of Varsoon.
    But don't worry about the master strikes, as a mage those master strikes are just average damage, I don't really use mine.
  3. ARCHIVED-Ingrata Guest

The traits, traditions, and special things you get to pick as a mage define your personal character. The majority of mages go for any upgrade which is a permanent increase to your intelligence. Some may go Agility or Wisdom, depending on what they're looking for in their character. As far as master strike's go, you'll run into every single type of character at some point in your adventures through Norath. Just pick the one you feel you'll use the most. I believe I picked skeletons as there are so many around, but you'll see zombies and ghosts, too. I usually forget to use my master strike since all the master strike buttons have the same icon and it's just a huge waste of my time to hover over all the ones I have and figure out which one to push :smileysurprised:
    Anyway, just go with what you specifically want for your character. This is part of your individuality. On these forums I have seen quite a few people make comments on which training spell one should chose, and for most people, there is only one options and they'll tell everyone it would be stupid to pick a different spell, but everyone is different. As far as the training ones go, I think I have chosen the 'least chosen' spells, but they suit me better than the other options. I duo and trio a lot, so I play a bit differently that a solo or full group player. You'll have to find your niche and pick what makes your character stronger. Best of luck to you!
  4. ARCHIVED-CrimsonAvenger Guest

These trait and master strikes have little or no effect on endgame play. Master strikes are most important in the levels of 10s, 20, and low 30s. After that, as a warlock, you will never use them (damage too low). As far as the traits, some are more useful than others. At level 10, Eradi shielding is a good choice and level 30 BSS is a good choice. Read up on the traits though b/c a few choices have been described as 'bad'. As a previous poster said, I always take the 'permanent' choices over a temporary spell to be cast.

In my experience, I am a Freeportian, Skeletons (for Nek forest and TS) and Zombies (for FG) we most useful to me in levels below 30.
  5. ARCHIVED-Soefje Guest

I took El Ard's Shield at level 10. Was unhappy with it until the last patch. It is now scales up with level and the proc seems to be working more often. I took the Skeleton master strike and the centaur master strike. Frankly, I forget about them most of the time and don't use them, especially after I got dark distortion. At level 20, I took the upgrade to Painful Meditiation and am very happy with it.

For the triats, I am half-elf and took the permenant increase in intelligence first and the increase in agility second. Next I will take the temp incrase in power and Stamina.

Right now I am leveling slowly, trying to complete quests and enjoy the game. I have started 2 fighters to see how the other half lives. Basically, it is your choice based upon you play. Chose what best fits your character and play style.