Newb coercer asking why chanters always wanted?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by newchanter, Feb 18, 2013.

1. newchanter New Member

Hi -

New player here, and I've been trying a few classes including a coercer. All of them are in the mid 40's to 50 range. I've yet to actually group (hard to find), but have found soloing pretty easy. My other toons are healers, so it's pretty obvious what my role is. But in lvl chat, I see constant 'groups looking for chanter' and raid guilds looking for experienced chanter. Why is that exactly.

I understand we can hate buff the tank, take hate off another, buff dps and power regen. Is that essentially it? I've been told that we don't mez anymore. I also read that we now melee dps, but I assume not to such an extent that we're wanted for dps? I specc'd for this, although I'm limited in the AA I can spend to 100. (I've been grinding AA (180ish now) as I've been told you look like even a bigger idiot if you arrive at max level without your aa's. I haven't been able to find real current aa advice, so I looked up names of coercers in raid guilds and checked them out on beetny. Probably not the smartest way to progress but trying my best to learn.

Since the game is so mature, there isn't a lot of fellow newbs to group with, and people seem to PL their alts. Essentially trying to arrive at 95 with at least some clue what I'm doing.
  2. Sini Member

I would say it is power regen. When you see people in level chat looking for chanters its almost always for power regen issues; with raid recruiting is probably the combination of abilites wanted. A lot of times though people just think they need power regen because a zone has power drains, so you'll see PUGs sit in chat for 20 mins waiting for a chanter. But thats more a matter of wanting an "ideal setup" than actually requiring a chanter to succeed. IMO this is the #1 reason for what you are seeing.

Coercer is a good mix of benefits for a melee group. I'll take one as a groupmate whenever I can, but I don't have to have one to run a group.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

Power regen, group-buffage, hate management and dps, usually in that order.
    Kalderon likes this.
  4. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Here is a link to one of the threads where irving is giving a very good advice on stats and aa for coercers. Take a look, you may find it useful
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/stat-advice-for-a-coercer.4264/

His dps on HM dragon in ST raid zone Amal.. w/e the name is went over 400k. And it's a long fight.
    plus if you always have your pet up it will give you more dps just by proccing.

Overall mermut is right. It's power feed and hate management. On some fights quick and efficient power regen is essential.

Illusionists are needed for their time warp. And single target scouts buffs.
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

Dps buffs, power regen and general support. Chanters are required for raiding most bosses Power Drain.... there's my raid invite got to go X:D
    Kalderon likes this.
  6. newchanter New Member

Thanks for the responses! This was helpful. From reading it looks like I will have more power feed options at higher levels, plus some AA abilities I can't access yet. Thanks again.
  7. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Well, i do like illys more ^^
    But as above alrady said, buffs: power/heal/hate/see invis ^^
    Actualy we turn our standard setup from 3 coercers and 1 illy to 1-2 coercers and 2-3 illys ^^ (if it is not a manafight ^^)
  8. Ajjantis Well-Known Member

Definitely shouldnt forget their DPS along with all the support skills.
  9. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Even tho, dont forget what they are needed for. (Sometimes a coercer can´t supply mana even tho he had to)
    On the other hand, yeah it´s handy parsing in mid to uper list on dps side.
  10. Kraeref Well-Known Member

And illy can for two groups on one click? Illusionists are buff machines for mage and/or scout groups b/c of their single target buffs and tw. Plus if there is a troub in the same group dps goes through the roof. Coercers support all groups including illys by giving them power so they can dps... no power no dps. One of our illys can parse 700k on linked boars in pow and I am barely over 350 sometimes 400 sometimes only 250. Main tank group has nothing to offer for higher dps.
    If your coercer cannot feed power then something wrong with their play style or they are lagging terribly ... which means he sees that everybody still has power but in reality it's already gone. I am thinking it's rather lag.
  11. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Our actual coercer do 600-700k on pow boars, don´t ask how ^^ i also just reach 400k around and yes we normaly have 2 grps with one melee and one caster both got troub and illy and it works good. The support dps can´t be ignored nowadays, the weakest parse around 200-250k on average, highest what i saw was in he with around 800k as coercer. Well.... our pure dds.... lets dont talk about it :)
    Oh, i would not miss my coercer as it is by far more easy to play then a illy.
    Sidenote: We once got an illy that had managed to get the grp full of mana like a coercer could do.... dont ask, i dont play an illy, for a long time.
  12. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Kalderon, i would love to get in touch with your coercer to get an idea how to get a parse up but i guess i have to figure it out myself :)
    I think i know how you illy can get power for an entire group - manasoul.. it's on a heroic tree and it's a a bit tricky spell because it eats health of a caster quickly which can kill him if healers are not quick enough.

You of course are correct. In current times everybody is looking for high dps from chanters as well especially in pow named fights...
  13. Kraeref Well-Known Member