New XP changes, Expert zones

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Wimble, Mar 7, 2017.

1. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Would it be constructive to ask
    Have developers did any testing in terms
    How much exp yield grinding old contested HKC on lower end and Ossuary on high end with say 8 person present in zone
    How much exp yield grinding yield full completion of AS zone in KA before and after patch with and without DD bonus
    How much exp yield completion heroic zone in KA (under completion we do understand killing main boss of the zone)
    Did dev team considered exp gain rate in old contested zones acceptable (with say averaging 8 person per grinding zone)?
    Are developers had any feed back on those questions from players (prior patch at least)?
    Justaplayer likes this.
  2. Noctew Active Member

Yes, RoK hat lots of them but that was before the first, let's call it "modern", expansion TSO which really focused on making instances with high replayability value (collecting void shards by doing repeatable quests). Most instances were not that great in RoK and since TSO the main focus has always been instances
  3. Tekka Well-Known Member

The successor to Rise of Kunark would be more aptly named: Kunark-ish: You guys liked the original so if we use that name you'll buy this one right?

I'm not surprised at the sheer number and magnitude of bugs, and adjustments, that have cropped up given the 'beta test' (and I use the phrase very loosely) was buy-in only, and a scant month at that. Given the real-time blocks on every single new system introduced there was absolutely no way to test them in any but the most superficial way.

Rather than reduce in increments,or adjust in some more equitable way - like make the current content more attractive/lucractive than an old content grind, they went with the long standing SoE method of 'crush <thing> so thoroughly that by the time we adjust <thing> upward, they'll be so grateful just to have it fixed.

Only this isn't 2002. Or 2004. Or any other Previous Year where the franchise was a top contender. There are other options, while not perfect, are more stable/less erratic.

I have never expected anything handed to me. I have earned what I've gotten, but it's difficult to do that when you take away my options.
    Cyrrena, Mizgamer62 and Meneltel like this.
  4. Gilasil Active Member

1. Some people complained they couldn't get enough ascension experience anymore. I've had no trouble getting several million xp yesterday and today just doing solo/advanced solo zones. Also status and coins. I've burned up those extra scrolls they gave me. If you do the expert zones in the ascension class you're leveling it's REALLY easy.

2. The expert zones are harder than the regular heroic zones but I like them. They yield some very nice xp but you have to go all the way through and kill the final boss. You probably won't get as much as Kralet Penumbra but you'll get a lot. The xp for KP contested was obviously over the top and needed to be brought into line a long time ago. It always irked me that KP contested gave far more xp than the KP instances even though it was easier.

While a lot of the loot from the experts is garbage that's only because a lot of the loot from the regular heroics is garbage. I've seen some very nice items drop from the experts and several people in my guild have already gotten upgrades.

3. Some people seem to think you can't get 90-100 or so without Skyshrine which is ridiculous. I haven't used Skyshrine for serious leveling in, well, forever. Since the epic is going to require you do some of those signature quests you might as well do them when the xp will do you some good. Also, the agnostics are still there aren't they?

For all those people who seem to want to max out hordes of alts I wonder how they plan to get epics for all of them.

In conclusion, the sky is not falling. Experience is stupidly easy to get nowadays. If you're having trouble you aren't trying very hard.
    captainbeatty451, Zule and Malleria like this.
  5. Zule Member

I like the recent patch a lot.

Expert zones, finally something to do, and I dont have to grind old contested anymore. They were boring as hell, but out of necessity became major part of progression and gameplay.

XP returns from current content doesnt match that of contested... but like ot was said before, xp from contested was probably too high anyway.

Some complain that they wont get enough xp because they dont group. Hmm... why would you need all the tithe if you dont group anyway? And for ascension xp, adv solos are enough.

This should have been done long time ago.

I agree however that xp returns on old content should be higher for players <100. There are agnostics... but how many times in row can you run them before getting bored? Some variety of xp sources would be good probably.
    captainbeatty451 likes this.
  6. duckster Active Member

Some of the views in this thread indicate folks dont run alts...it was already a chore to keep alts up to date before the 'adjustement'. Now there will be many alts left at login screen since its a 2nd job to get one to a respectable level.

The experience prior to tuesdays patch allowed for them to be at a stage of certain prereqs to complete epics once they got around to them.

If you believe the current xp adjustment is a good thing then you either arent overly fussed about min/maxing each character or play 1 character exclusively(KA = Killing Alts since November 2016).

I am aware they said they will monitor the xp rates but something like this happened before and also went down like a lead balloon. Skyshrine & HKC nerf from memory?
  7. Vokan Well-Known Member

I don't run heroics every day. It depends who is online in the guild. That means I have to run solo/advanced solo to burn off my Ascension scrolls. So I just did that, and I puked a little in my mouth. I am not joking, I did. It was gut wrenching. At 23k potency, I have to walk through these damn things over and over and over and over. You people who claim that "this is current content", well sure, but its still easier than older contested content. I wont run these daily any more. I refuse. If DBG doesn't revert back or come up with a better solution, I am gone. So are just about everyone I know. I think if anything this just highlights the disparity between the dev team and the players. We're not all in the top 3 raid guilds, and we're not all scrubs. The majority of us are somewhere in between. You forgot about us.
  8. jimm New Member

Please change the xp back
  9. Zule Member

You mean you wouldnt pug? With 23k pot, you will have no problem getting/starting a group. I would tag with you. I'm in the same situation like you with guild. No guild is full 24/7. But I wont say there is problem to get a group.

I'm thinking this is not issue with XP, this is issue between you and pugs... you dont *have* to run solos; it's just your choice.

On the side, maybe we coud use a contested dungeon in KA after this change. No collections please (it just feeds floppers), no eth runes please (rng frustration and farming), limits that ensure enough instances are spawned. Torsis raid zone looks like a good starter for a contested zone design.
  10. Whiomaju Member

I agree, especially with the highlighted parts. If a player is on somewhat unregular play times and too early/late for groups they have to solo... yet running through the same old KA solo/adv solo's oneshotting everything gets old fast. Now repeat that on a few alts and it's just mindnumbing. If it is a chore we must do, at least make it worth our time big time.
  11. Vokan Well-Known Member

I play on IoR server. So pugs don't exist really. People stick to their guilds on this server. Plus, you start a expert in a pug, then you have a chance of your guildees logging in, but you are locked out. And they have limited time, just like you and need to roll and get this ridiculously implmented Ascension burned off.
  12. duckster Active Member

They should add a new contested already...
    Prissetta likes this.
  13. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

I understand some of the fun of contested dungeons. But why do people like them SO much? Most of the time, I find it to be kind of boring to be constantly running around looking for mobs to kill that may or may not be there, along with having other groups in there who may or may not get those kills before you do. Not to mention, if they did put in a contested zone, and it DID have more xp per kill than the other zones, well we'd be back at the problem that had already been created with some people now having access to much faster tithe than others and further increasing this gap that exists between the 1% and everyone else.

Mostly though, I'm kind of curious as to why people love contested so much, as it is probably my least favorite type of event in this game. Not that I hate it, but that I'd rather do almost anything else, unless I only have a half hour to play but still feel like grouping for some possible reward. Maybe that's the reason? It allows flexibility?
  14. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

You do of course realize that doing AS/Solo solo WITH corresponding quests BEFORE patch was yielded pretty much same exp right? I mean you need about say between hour to hour and half to clear all AS/Solo dungeon to get what? merely few million of exp? But guess what - daily dose of Ascending class 2 is 2.2M and daily dose for class 4 would at least 2x higher. So where is NO WAY you burn this exp in single daily session - is this DB idea? ... may be
  15. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Zule I am clocking in 650-800M DPS while I am in Ascend 10 no sweat but this won't help run PUG in reasonable short time (15 minute per instance top) And for second - you see - I NEED to burn my Ascend class 2 exp (2,2M) which basically leave with me only my natural DPS plus Epic 2.0 (which is still neat) and I am down probably to 250-300M - I can afford that with guild mates but with PUG? 15 minute run probably will turns into 30-35minutes and for what? ONE tithe worth of exp?!?!?! - because remember there NO REWARD for zone completion (for regular heroic or even heroic)
  16. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

In depth respond ...
    Why we LOVE to the death contested dungeons - let see
    a) There is no lockdown !
    b) Mobs are constantly respawn !
    c) Chance for "jack pot" - you got Eth run drop = you just became 0.5-4M richer
    d) Exp gain is STILL x2 better then ANY KA zone (at least)

Side note - please compare what you prefer run say same old - same old KA zones (which we been already running for like 4 months) OR do somewhat more diverse or may be even slightly challenging old zone contested SOLO - like trying soloing Epic x2 - isn't it more fun that mindless running heroic?
  17. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

You're wrong about this. I did 2 zones yesterday that were not the DD and got a pretty hefty zone reward. It's not huge, but it was i think 500k. I don't know, maybe my eyes were bugging out?
  18. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Yeah I realize it's a personal thing for sure. I just feel like contested whether current or old is grinding. I like things to have a beginning and an end. And I like a ka-ching at the end. And the contested always feel kind of hollow in this regard. Even if you take the quest to kill 10 mobs, it can actually be more frustrating because what if all the mobs are already dead? Personally, I like things where I can say ok let's go do a thing. Contested feels like, let's go run around contested for a while. The goal is killing time and grinding while killing time. I just don't prefer it. Seems like I'm in the minority, but hey, we each have our own way to play. When things like contested come into the mix, I'm more aggravated, because people tend to want to go there rather than a mission. I definitely disliked the most recent fabled dungeons, since they were all contested. Luckily fabled sanctum for the most part never had anyone else in there, so it felt like an instance most of the time.

Contested feels like a hamster wheel to me even more than running the same 10 dungeons over and over.
  19. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

500k exp = 2 tithe
    You could get that much only under one condition - someone in group shared quests and quests been completed
    I did yesterday Wizard Den event heroic <1 tithe total exp but! because I had 3! quest completion I got +6 tither for that
    Killing Goblin King = 7800 exp sorry
  20. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Everyone different but doing same thing over and over (heroics) is not my thing unless I can clear see some neat reward in the end of tunnel - like summer eth event - I DID grind heroics but that was for a good reason.
    About KP - I think MajDul is less populated than HoF but even in prime time (EST US) I can walk into KP and get outright couple named (should I want to - but I rather pull as many mobs on floor as I could agro :D) - KP contested IS big - plenty of space for several ppl. I been even able find something to kill in HKC when it was like 10ppl in here