New to eq2, veteran of eq1 and MMO's in general

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Serpentine, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Serpentine New Member

Hello!

I played eq1 since beta and was in one of the top guilds in the game for raiding. Played on the Fennin Ro server (some of ya'll can maybe guess which guild i was in). I played wow for a long time and was in a very good guild for that game too. I decided to come back to Everquest because nothing has matched the epic feeling of that original game since I quit playing eq1.
    I just bought my gold membership yesterday and decided to roll a troubadour. I always wanted to be a bard in eq1 (I played a druid) because I thought they were bad *** and I love the songs as buffs mechanic. I have a few questions being a new player, however. I managed to reach level 17 with roughly about 16 AA points. I haven't actually messed with the AA slider those points have just come from doing quests and killing named mobs, etc. However, I do NOT want to have to get to level 90 and then grind out 280 aas. I want to gain them gradually so I guess the 'Golden Path' is out. I don't want to really have to mentor down levels although I will if I have to. It is really important to me to experience the dungeons and stuff as I level, although it is looking like finding a group for the dungeons is going to be tough. So....how should I level up? I saw someone mention the 'Solo Timeline' as opposed to the golden path. They mentioned that the Solo Timeline would involve having the AA slider at a certain percentage. What percentage should I make it? Thanks in advance for any input. Also, should I stick with a troubadour or should I switch to dirge? (is it true you can 'betray' and switch classes?). Which are more desired in groups? So far i'm having a blast with my troubadour. I'm dual wielding some swords right now. Thanks ya'll!
  2. napu Member

if its the first time playing it, just leave the aa/xp slider at 50% and enjoy the game, it's got enough content to keep you interested first time round. I hit 90 with about 220 aa without going out of my way to get them. I chronoed down for the rest, but it didn't take very long, about 5 an hour.
  3. Cisteros Active Member

Welcome to the future. I came forward permanently in 2006 and never looked back.

Leveling: Supplement the Golden Path with other zones of the same level range. If you started your Troubador in New Halas and are level 17, slide the AA slider to 100% and pick up the quests in Timmorous Deep that start in the 13-14 range (Check the EQ2Wiki Solo timeline for the full details). Also, EQ2 has a lot of Heritage Quests that reward famous items from EQ1. Head to Kelethin and work on the Heritage quest, "In Honor and Service". The reward is the Legendary Dwarven Ringmail Tunic. Check out other HQs either at EQ2wiki or Zam

Definately do the Golden path quests though. They reward all the gear you will need as you level. To get to 90/280 you need to average just over 3AA/level gained. If you bought the latest expansion (Or when you decide to if you still enjoy the game) You will get 2 baubles that once you hit level 90, when consumed will jump your AA up to the 280 required for further leveling.

As far as which Bard to play. Both are highly desired for endgame groups and raids, so if you are enjoying one there is no reason not to just keep playing it. Yes, if you change your mind you are able to betray back and forth between Troub and Dirge. You will even keep access to all upgraded spells if you decide to betray back again
  4. crazyeyes321 Active Member

If it is your first time playing through, and you are not worried about hitting end game anytime soon as you want to explore dungeons, there is nothing wrong with gaining 5 levels via questing and then moving your AA slider to 100 while you finish up quest areas or explore dungeons at a given level range. If you spend the money on Age of Discovery and get a merc you are able to pretty much explore everything under level 90.

If you end up at lvl 80 and say to yourself, my god, I only have 89 AA, you have options though. Level 80 is one of the best levels to correct low level to AA ratios, as you can enter chelsith and kill unnamed mobs for about 3-4k exp each(8kish double exp weekends). Leveling past 80 really cuts into this exp gain though.

A troub is fine, and yes, if you wish to you can betray into a dirge at later levels.
  5. Regolas Well-Known Member

You need to get 260AAs in 73 levels, so you should be aiming to get 3-4 AAs per level.

If you plan on buying CoE, you get 2 free boosters to get you to 280, but if you don't want to use them on this character and want to experience the whole game first time round (I recommend it), then I would do this:

Follow the solo timelines and set AA xp to 90% and go to EVERY zone, if you find you're running out of places to go and still not reached the hard level you need, you can always move it to 100% and kill a few things.

It is far better to have more AA than you can spend. Just save them as when you hit 80 and 85 a load becomes unlocked that you can spend them on.
  6. Lord Darrack New Member

Welcome to EQ2!

Your going to love it!
    Firstly this is a lot different than EQ1 in game mechanics but Bards in this version are no less fun than before.
    It really is personal preference the way you aquire your AAs but i normally set to 60% to get a few crucial skills that will make life easier then switch to 50%.
    If you find quests in the area you are levelling start getting to far ahead of your level just set the slider back to zero gain and put the effort into a few more levels, or wip out a merc to make things easier.

Quests will tend to direct you to the next zone so even if you dont read the multitude of guides on where to level you really wont get lost.

Seriously though look up the Heritage quests, many will take time to complete and you find that at some points you will need to group or wait until a few more levels to progress, but if your an old EQ1 player the memorys of some of these old items will bring a huge smile to your face!

cheers and be safe out there.
  7. cohrefugee New Member

AA so far seem to be not too ridiculous, in EQ 1 you could have 3000+ aa's but still not considered 'AA'd'' enough to survive end game raiding. Lot of work just to wind up a cog in the guild raid machine.