New to EQ2 and Wizard had a Question :)

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by ARCHIVED-Matthieas, Jun 22, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Matthieas Guest

Hey all, just wondering how Wizards are recived end game? Are they needed for raids? How about illuistionist? I know they both serve differnt roles but i love casters, and i enjoy both DPS and CC and was just looking to see what would be best for me to invest my time into. Thank you for your help and expertise.

Mathieas
  2. ARCHIVED-Trilarian-2 Guest

Both Wizards and Illys do fine in groups and end game (despite what some nay-sayers will preach :p ). There is a larger population of Wizards than their are Illys, so naturally Illys will be in higher demand when comparing the two.

I guess you should ask what role do you want to fill? Wizards are pure DPS and will either be at the top or near the top of the DPS parse, but bring only a small temp group buff to the table of utiility. Illys on the other hand, won't reach as high of DPS numbers with the same gear/AA/skill/etc as the wizard, but is invaluable in their ability to regen the group's power and buff other classes.

Generally your group will be tank, healer, support, dps, dps, dps. That can vary depending on zone (two healers for example). At a quick glance that would make it seem DPS is more desirable. The catch, though, is so many classes out of the 24 can fill a DPS role that DPS slots usually fill up first. Support can be one (or a combo) of only 4 classes, so they tend to be what you see in the level chat spam. "Group going to X looking for a bard/chanter..."

Play both for a bit and see what peaks your interest. Neither of them will be a waste of time.
  3. ARCHIVED-Matthieas Guest

Thank you for the info :). That is precisly what i hopeing to learn. I noticed Illys have a ability to clone themselfs. Do you know if this is somethign that is out all the time? Does it work like a pet you have to assign targets? or more like the Wiz pets?
  4. ARCHIVED-Trilarian-2 Guest

The illy pet is always out (while solo, once you get your mythical in groups too) and acts on its own (minus basic commands like don't attack, attack my target, etc). Think of it as a always on DoT spell. On some rare cases while soloing I've had the illusion cast a root that saved me, but for the most part its just a source of low but steady dps. You can name it, so if you want to see how much it is helping you name it something other than your character name. If you want it to add to your parse, name it the same as you. If you don't care about a parse - do whatever.
  5. ARCHIVED-yzyh Guest

well actualy illy are more about DPS + insanly power buff then CC unlike enchant in EQ1 who are mostly CC + buff with somehwat mediocre DPS when they cant get a good charmed pet.
    Actualy for single grouping illy would get an invite easyer then a wizzy simply for their buff and their DPS isn't that far behind wizzy in group content (the gap is larger in raid where illy parse a way behind wizzy).
    ATM illy are a way more wanted in raids then wizzy (where you cane asely use up to 4 illusionist in a raid ).
    But with the inc change making some buff raidwide I guess that it will be turned down to 1-2illy per raid.

If you want a class with lots of utility who's beeing needed and still do somewhate good DPS go illy (I really like their fast casting spells).
    If you want to go hard core DPS with minor utility, roll a wizzy or something else.
  6. ARCHIVED-UFC-Fusil Guest

Wizzys are great for end-game.
  7. ARCHIVED-magicman2525 Guest

Wizards are great for pvp or pve endgame, but there are some things you should know before leveling all the way to 80. The class definitions are getting blurred, and what I mean by this is that enchanters are doing dps that is close to what wizards can do. They are not quite up to as high as a wizard but is close enough that wizards are not in a real high demand. Enchanters, especially coercers, are in high demand they can power regen add dps to the enitre group, debuff, give tanks hate buffs, and their dps rivals that of wizards. With all that wizards are not in a high demand at T8. I love my wizard and have been playing one for a long time, and they are great fun, but just dont expect to always find a group. The level 70-79 chat and 80's chat is always full of wizards lfg, on Nagafen at least. I wish SOE would go back to how wizards were before. Wizards wear cloth armor and are supposed to be the highest single target dps beacause we have the lowest survivabilty, but now assasins can out dps us with ease. Dont get me wrong wizards can still top parses but we are more gear and group dependent than our chain wearing counter part. Melee dps classes dont get as many benefits as wizards do from their utility classes, but rely more on self buffs. I think this should be the other way around casters give up survivabilty for dps chain mitigation is much higher than cloth and they have way more hps. A decently (legendary) geared assasin can out dps a fabled wiz if there is no caster buffs in the group especially if the fights are short. We do get manashield which does help but it cuts our dps dramatically, and what can a wizard do without power? Once you get some T8 fabled gear and get around 12k power and 90% crit self buffed, without a potion, you will be very happy with the damage and survivability of wizards at T8. Every tier is a different experience, and I am just speaking about wizards in T8.