New Strong Boxes and Backpacks

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Deornwulf, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Deornwulf Active Member

We have new common and rare leather and lumber. Could we please get new Strong Boxes and new Backpacks to match? As one would seriously doubt a level cap increase anytime in the next year or so, it would be reasonable ask for these items to be added as both items currently correspond to each tier of harvest, not necessarily to every 10 levels.

Thank you.
    Arrk likes this.
  2. Arrk Member

The previous ones were half upgrades, only adding two more spaces. I assumed the new one had added recipes for boxes and backpacks with two more than those, but I hadn't looked.

Sounds eminently reasonable.
  3. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Nah, as far as strong boxes are concerned, there is nothing from this tier. The only items showing up on EQ2U for larix are larix lumber and the larix mallet. The only items showing up for araucaria are araucaria lumber and purified araucaria lumber. (That isn't saying that there are no other recipes that use those components, but the containers have used the name of the primary components within the name of the item up to this point, so there is no logical reason to assume that this tier would be any different.)

On a slightly tangential, but somewhat related note, the highest of the broker sales displays (e.g. salesman's crates, scroll stands, etc.) that are available are eucalyptus - which we got during Sentinel's Fate in February of 2010 (and the highest recipe book that contains a broker container is Advanced Carpenter Volume 89).
  4. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I think we might be reaching capacity with this stuff. If we ever see an upgrade, it might come after the database change.
  5. Meirril Well-Known Member

Your aware that there are quest rewards that give 64 slot bags, right? Veteran merchant purchasable 54 slot box?
  6. Aeadiin New Member

I sure am, but Dev is still correct.
  7. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I'm aware. There are 4 (5 if you went to SOE Live this year) total bags that go beyond the 48. 3 of the 4 are lore. The remaining bag only holds Frostfell harvests.
  8. Meirril Well-Known Member

The point is they wouldn't be handing out any bags like this or creating new depots like the scroll depot if they were up against a database limit. Or maybe dev likes shooting itself in the foot?

Of all the issues that would cause database inflation housing is far worse than actual inventory slots. Not only can a house hold more items than a bank + inventory + house vault, but you have to track the position and orientation of each item in the house. And you can buy as many houses as you want.

Now I can believe that it is a concern they have to deal with, but strictly speaking adding 2 or 4 slots to the max sized crafting bag isn't going to be the straw that broke the camel's back.
  9. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

The Nebulous Newies bags hold 66 items. I see no reason why the top tier bags and boxes could not be upped by two slots for regular and rare items. The other special large bags/boxes would not be diminished by this.
  10. ZUES Well-Known Member

They left out bags, boxes, ammo and many carpy house items in AoM. WTB a tradeskill dev.
  11. Arrk Member

I WOULD like to be able to make, or obtain somehow, a container that holds more than 36 slots of only harvests, and not just Frostfell harvests. I like the autosorting so much I still use the 36-slot quested ones, even though my bags are 44-slot or larger.
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

You can use the bag options to make one of your 44+ slot bags act like the harvesting pack. Right click on the bag title and choose Bag Options. For sorting options, uncheck All Items, then check Harvests in the box on the right. Now that bag acts just like the Wanti harvesting bag.
    Katz and Shmogre like this.
  13. Arrk Member

Ooo, I never knew about that! I will have to make use of it!
  14. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Depots would be a separate load as opposed to the personal storage on our characters. Just look at how long it's been since we've even seen a change in personal storage capacity. It's been about 3 years now. Meanwhile, we've seen more depots introduced. The new bags aren't even heirloom, so they're not occupying shared bank slots.

I'm not even opposed to the idea of more slots being added (though I personally won't upgrade any further with the screen space it's gonna take up). I just don't see it happening.
  15. Meirril Well-Known Member

You might have a point there. I'm not sure how much our characters load at once. A single 66 slot bag is equivalent to adding 3 slots to the crafted 48 slot bags, but when you think that a character could load every inventory it has access to then you have to include in the bank, shared bank, and house vault which add another 22 slots for a total of 28 slots for bags including your character's inventory. Well, 29 including the ammo slot. Then a single 66 slot bag is less than a 1 item per inventory slot upgrade. Though there seems to be a lot of lore bags larger than 50 slots popping up recently.

Suppose I should give an opinion on the OP. I don't see any new bags being introduced until the next expansion. Even then they might not introduce a lot of crafting recipes so it might not happen for another 2 years. I would expect to see it then even without them introducing more levels or a new set of harvests. Though I imagine they will introduce a new set of harvests about the same time they introduce new containers.
  16. Deornwulf Active Member

Considering the fact that a player can currently equip 1 Nebulous Newsies Pack (66 slots), 1 Claws of Veeshan Pack (66 Slots), 1 Rallic Pack (64 Slots), 1 Box of Endless Loyalty (52 Slots), and 2 Really Big Bags (50 slots/Non-lore), using the number of slots as an argument as to why not to add new Strong Boxes and Backpacks to the recipe list has no real merit. I personally view it as an oversight by the development team and nothing more. Every other crafting tier has a set of Strong Boxes and Backpacks, so Tier 11 should as well.

Another poster also pointed out the lack of new sales crates since Tier 9. That should also be corrected.

Side note - There are probably players with every bank slot and character slot filled with Really Big Bags since they were not a lore item and were sold when Station Cash was much easier to come by. Those players now have the 66 and 64 slot bags as well. If they are not causing trouble with the database, why not allow Carpenters and Tailors new bags and boxes?
    Prrasha and Kuulei like this.