New spell "Wrath" is severely underpowered.

Discussion in 'General Priest Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-mafoe, Aug 18, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-mafoe Guest

This spell doesnt even get a spot on my hotbars since its damage is subpar and the power cost is horrendous. Check this out:

[IMG]

33% damage less, but 300% the power cost?
  2. ARCHIVED-MindFury Guest

Noticed this on my warden myself....lvl 6 spell with 3x as much pwr cost as our end game spells? with less than half the dmg? ...thanx for the added spell, please make it worthwhile by lowering pwr cost and increasing dmg, ty!
  3. ARCHIVED-Calain80 Guest

The Spell is useful ... until level 35. After that it is useless.
  4. ARCHIVED-Lord_Ebon Guest

It was added to give priests more nukes at the low end. I don't see it as really useful at the higher end, but it's not intended to be. I do agree that the power cost could stand to be toned down a little bit given the amount of damage it does.
  5. ARCHIVED-Karimonster Guest

See, I didn't think it was that bad, but then...I'm a defiler. Nothing I have hits very hard.
  6. ARCHIVED-mafoe Guest

Ehm... can you see the screenshot?

Templars get 2 damage spells before level 6 that are far better (more dmg and less power) than Wrath. So how does a low level templar benefit from "having more nukes at the low end" if SOE adds worse nukes? More does not equal better.
  7. ARCHIVED-Calain80 Guest

Due to reuse you currently have some time without any damage spell up. As long as that is true this spell will give you more DPS. But as soon as you have enough spells, so that there is always a damage spell up this one is the 1st spell you won't cast any more.
  8. ARCHIVED-Sedenten Guest

As a defiler, if I'm going full bore DPS (haha?), I run out of damage spells to cast at some point and am just waiting on my one primary single target nuke to repop (with around 55% or so reuse on my gear). Wrath is for that kind of situation. A lot of my damage spells are also atrociously long on the casting time, so tossing Wrath in here and there ends up flowing better. I'm sure for lower level or lesser geared defilers, this nuke fills that void even moreso. Also, I'm not sure what "quality" this nuke is supposed to weigh in at, but since it scales with our level it's not likely to be near the master level of another damage spell.
    I'm sure that doesn't apply for all priests, but I would think it should at least be useful to all of them and should be adjusted if it's not.
  9. ARCHIVED-PeterJohn Guest

The original post is a screenshot of a level 6 Wrath versus a MASTER version of a level 82 spell with AA points spent in boosting the Divine Smite even further. Yes, Wrath does scale up as you level, but I think the whole point of why Wrath was added at level 6 was missed.
  10. ARCHIVED-Luag Guest

yea and look at the level of the master's smite spell given from L&L's lol

anyway I don't know any priest that will have this spell in their rotation even when they don't need to heal, it's a waste

I thought the devs tried playing the game recently
  11. ARCHIVED-Calain80 Guest

I could do the same with Invocation from my Inquisitor. Wrath is still the lowest damage spell for me with a huge power cost.
  12. ARCHIVED-mafoe Guest

Divine Smite is AA-boosted, which changes power cost, reuse and recast time. But even without these AAs, Wrath costs 1.5 times more power with less damage.

What the healers would have needed is a fast-casting, moderate reuse blue AOE, not another single target spell that is in almost every aspect worse than what we already have.

So please... get real.
  13. ARCHIVED-Ferunnia Guest

Guess I'm just curious why anyone would whine about a new spell...I can empty out all the spells in my full cast rotation, all my AAd CAs, including all my AoEs, plus my two fast casting group heals, plus fae flames, to proc infusions and have recast timers running as long as I don't break from my chain. Don't get me wrong, it's not the best thing since sliced bread, but it has a few things going for it...
    1) Range. The thing is 35 Meters as someone else said...My standard nukes are 30 though, so still hits from further out by a bit.
    2) Cast Time. If you are willing to accept the tradeoff in power, it's got pretty decent cast time...fast enough that I can fit it between an auto attack at 120+ haste mod.
    3) Damage isn't really all that bad...I'm only half geared atm (taking breaks at the beginning of an expansion blows!). I ran through my last parse of the x2 Vigilant and never saw it do less than 4277 damage. It critted at its highest for 6848. (average of 6027 damage)
    (Ranked 8th out of 24 different types of damage I did that day, bout 3% of my total output).
    Our much better geared mystic on that run did a range of 5756-7545 (Average 6679) damage with wrath, for a total of about 11% of his zonewide damage.
    Plus it can proc Peace of Mind, PoTM, any other spell based proc, and from a nice range if you have to joust anything on raids.
    On a final note...maybe less geared players won't get as much use because they can't grey out all their abilities, but for a druid it's easily doable, so it actually does add to the casting rotation.
    Edit...P.S. I'm not in any way saying I don't wish the spell were better, either with a 1 second base cast time (spell cast able to bring it to 0.5 sec) or that it could be cast on the run while adjusting positions. I'm just putting out there why I don't think it's useless. Makes good filler, especially if Peace of mind or PoTM are running.

P.S.S. If you give a damn about the power cost you probably don't have a decent chanter...in which case you probably shouldn't be burning power on dpsing anyways...just my 2cp...
  14. ARCHIVED-mafoe Guest

I am 'whining' because this new spell is an unnecessary addition for me that didnt even make it on my hotbar.

1. range. 35m.
    3. damage isnt really all that good either. 3% of your total output, aka a waste of your time. the reason why your mystic can put it to better use is because he is using CAs instead of spells (and CAs have a much longer reuse), which is why CA priests (wardens, inq, mystics) benefit much more of this spell than the other 3 healer classes. Gear is not an excuse either because better gear would improve all your spells equally.

And about the power: this is supposed to be a spell to also help low level priests, so having/not having a chanter is a really silly point. Especially in lower levels and without raid gear, power will be a major issue, even more so since chanters dont grow in trees.
    Seems Wrath is not as bad for other priests as it is for templars, but hey, when I hear that it's nice for a fury who can already hit 20k dps while healing and it's less good for templars whose dps is blergh, then wow. Great addition, srsly.
    Again. What we need is a blue aoe. Not another single target nuke.
  15. ARCHIVED-Ferunnia Guest

If you really want to level a Templar soloing, why wouldn't you start as an inqy and betray later anyways? Lot less of a headache to solo with them considering you can have 4 CAs (or is it 3, I can't remember) by level 20 or so even without trying to grind AA.
    On another note, though, I'm sure if enough priests complain about it, it'll get at least the power usage toned down. I'm all for it. It would be nice even if they added a longer reuse and gave it damage somewhere in the range of Master Strike (bout 8500-18000 damage range for me). As far as making it a blue AoE...I'd love it.
    On a final note, I do stand corrected about its usefulness at low levels (where apparently it was meant to be used), though. At higher levels (at least on furies) everything costs a crap-ton of mana anyways, unless you are a CA priest, so I don't personally even notice that this spell adds anything to my over-time mana usage. All in all I was just trying to say that it is possible to have a use for it if you are willing to look.
    BTW, on a zonewide of 20k...3% is 600 more dps. Not horrible, not to mention extra damage from procs it triggers. At this point in the game increases in dps are really only found in small increments and just add up over time.
  16. ARCHIVED-hortefoutre Guest

I use it to pull when i solo with my mystic, it usually does 2500, range is higher than most of my spells.
    My druid have not used it yet.
    Range could be increased, power cost made normal, it should be usable while moving (making it a pull spell).
  17. ARCHIVED-Ykiphia1 Guest

It's still better than summoning food and drink. I've used it to finish a ho, but that's about it. It's nothing to get excited about, but it's not as if it hurts us.
  18. ARCHIVED-mafoe Guest

Why are so many ok with half-baked additions? :p
  19. ARCHIVED-Lord_Ebon Guest

mafoe wrote:
    It's not half baked, it fills the role it was intended for. Nothing significant was lost to get it, it just gives you more options on things to cast (especially at the low end).
  20. ARCHIVED-Chunkaliscious Guest

It's not a half-baked addition when you realize what it was added for. It was added to fill a gap in the lower tiers, not for the end game raiders. I recently ran a new priest through the new lowbie content for some house items and it was nice to have another damage spell to throw out. For this scenario its a great addition.