New Player - Warden Help Please.

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Sensu, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Sensu New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I'm new to EQ2 and decided to play a warden for the heals and dps. I had thoughts on this class being more caster dps but from what i'm seeing in this AA and reading melee dps is better off which i'm ok with. Now the question is, i'm level 12 and i'm having trouble figuring out where i need to put my points. As of right now i'm just pulling a guy ranged and spellcasting and if hes still alive when he gets to me ill use Icefall Strikes (5) since thats were i have 5 points right now. I'm very confused as to were to go with my points and then theres even the druid tree. Could someone please help guide me to a build on what i should be at, at maybe say lvl 30 and 50 or something of that sorts so i have something to go on?

I really appreciate the help and look forward to reading the replies.
  2. Foretold Well-Known Member

I'd start by skipping the first tree - the druid tree - altogether and put your points in the second tree, the warden tree.

Get those combat arts (we call em CA) versions of the spells you're currently using to do damage. They are Icefall strike, Dawnstrike (same name for both spell and CA), Frostbite Slice, and Whirl of Permafrost. At lower levels, having all 5 points in each of these four CAs will make them much stronger than the spells you're using.

You can continue to range pull and spellcast til they get close to you (or you can root them... do you have root at your level?) and then hit them with the CAs when they get closer until you have all 4 CAs maxed out. Once they're maxed out, forget the nuking and rooting and just run up and beat the crap out of them melee style :D

The next place to put your points is back in the first tree, in the strength line (the first line). I'd recommend going 4/10/10/1 down that line. You want to get to the third option, Natural Boon, as soon as possible, though, because that allows you to heal as you melee... making you an unstoppable beast ;) Well, eventually it will :D

Any other questions feel free to ask :D Wardens are great fun.

PS you can click my signature to see my build...
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

The only change I'd offer to Foretold's advice... max out Warden of the Forest on the warden tree as soon as you get that buff from leveling. That will make you much sturdier.
  4. Torri Active Member

Keep pulling with a nuke spell. And while meleeing, cast your root and snare. This is so you will level the casting skills they use (Disruption for the damage spell, and Subjugation on the root respectively)

For AA, the advice already given about maxing all your CAs and your defensive buff are good. Though in this age of the game I doubt you'd need the benefits of the Warden of the Forest buff for basic leveling, but you should take it just as a homage to those who have come before you. Once you have picked those up I'd go down what was once known as the strength line (Far left on he Druid tab)
  5. Sensu New Member

WOW!! you guys have helped me out so much I have a better understanding of what i'm working on doing.

Now, I noticed for crafting i can mine and herb, and even pick up wood, but as far as crafting them items goes, i went to a few tables and it pulled up the crafting but there are no recipes, i'm not sure if there are specifics on what i should work on or wait till i'm higher level and then come back to level crafting items. So as far as gear goes i have a few items from chest drops that i'm wearing and a trusty mace with diviner's wand.

here is my profile not much updated on AA's as i just put them in but you can see the gear.
    http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/871881508548

So yea, my question is what to do about gear, can i craft gear better then i'm looting? I saw a video with this level 10 guy with legendary weapons, i'm still trying to see how he did that, i'm a gold member now as well and am trying to decide on spending the 40 dollars for AOD or not to get the merc.
  6. Torri Active Member

You can hold off on buying AoD. The merc will help you kill faster, but isn't necessary. Reforging you won't really get to the level to use it until about the 60s with the cloud mount timeline armor. AoD is needed to create a Beastlord, but it sounds like you're having fun currently with the Warden.

All the newbie zones have timeline quests. Those quests if followed will award you with gear that will carry you to the next tier (a Tier is every 10 levels). CCheck out one of the fan sites (Zam, EQ2wire, EQ2wiki) and search Golden Path. It will award you all the gear you'll need, which will let you bank some coin by selling the chest items you can't use on the broker.

Breaks over, will get to Tradeskills later
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

Everybody can harvest everything, if they practice. They aren't consider 'crafts' in EQ2 and aren't restricted. For a tradeskill, you should go to your home city and find the tradeskill tutorial NPC. There are 9 crafts you can choose from in 3 sets.
    Scholars: Jeweler (makes jewelry and scout art upgrades), Alchemist (makes poisons, potions and fighter art upgrades), Sage (makes mage and priest upgrades)
    Craftsmen: Carpenter (makes boxes and furniture), Woodworker (makes bows, arrows, wands, totems and bucklers), Provisioner (makes food and drink)
    Outfitters: Tailors (makes cloth and leather armor), Weaponsmith (makes weapons), Armorsmith (makes metal armor and shields)

You can only have one of the 9 crafts on a given toon.

There are other 'secondary' tradeskills: Tinkering (makes various baubles, both useful and fluff) and Adorning (makes adornments to put in gear). Toons can have a primary tradeskill AND one, two or no secondary tradeskills, as you choose.
  8. Sensu New Member

so would outfitter be the better choice for leveling a warden for the fact of making gear?
  9. Mermut Well-Known Member

Tailor is great while leveling. If you harvest enough to keep yourself in master crafted gear, you'll be well set. Oh, tailors also make bags.
    Kuulei likes this.
  10. Sensu New Member

ok thank you guys very much, ill read up more to figure out how to get recipes to start crafting and what all it takes. I can't thank you guys enough.
  11. Foretold Well-Known Member

Tailoring is a great idea, as is *whateveritis* that makes spells for wardens. I want to say jewelers but I'm sure I'm wrong, and I don't want to look it up ;)
  12. Lizabethan Active Member

13. Torri Active Member

Sage
  14. Foretold Well-Known Member

That's it. Thank you.
  15. Venea New Member

I went Sage on my Warden and never looked back. Pretty much being guaranteed Journeyman level spells was great before Research. And even now, that's one Research level you don't have to worry about.
    Plus, when you manage to get the rare you need for one of your own spells.... Double plus good. :B

As for the other stuff, what other people said, pretty much. Get your 4 Combat Art abilities to rank 5, then go down the left tree of Druid, going at least 4/10/10. I went 10/10/10 because I like attack speed haste. More attacks means more chances for Natural Boon (that's the 3rd ability in that line) to fire off and heal you.
    I'd also recommend taking Enhance: Regenerating Spores in the Warden tab once you get that buff. The buff itself is a heal over time that fired off on receiving damage.

I hope you're enjoying the Warden, and don't forget to turn off /hide_illusions after you get Warden of the Forest XD
  16. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I picked Provisioner on my Warden way back when I didn't understand the crafting system very well (at launch). I have since created other crafters, but Sage is by far the most useful for healers.
  17. Oyjord New Member

I don't mean to rez an old thread, but I've found this one to be exceptionally helpful. Mind my asking another question or two?

-Should a melee Warden look for more WIS or STR on his gear?
    -Should I be fighting in Tiger form? As a caster I was fighting in Wolf form, but now a Tiger seems more logical.

Thanks for a great thread for new Wardens!
  18. Arieste Well-Known Member

STR does nothing for healers. As you get to high levels, you won't find any healer gear with STR on it anyway.

I don't know anything about warden forms.
  19. Torri Active Member

Wisdom is the stat that damage is now based on. The only reason leather armor even has strength on it is because Brawlers also use it. They find the wisdom as worthless as wardens find the strength.

I am in Tiger form for everything but progression raid fights where I end up changing out just about everything I use the other 99.6% of the time. Tiger form gives you the chance to proc a little extra damage with every melee hit. It is't going to be at the top of your personal DPS, but like everything else in this game, every little bit helps.

You say "As a caster I was fighting in Wolf form but now a Tiger seems more logical." If you mean you were standing back and nuking rather than meleeing, then wolf form would be better since tiger only triggers when meleeing. Wolf form grants you 3.5% extra crit chance, which depending on gear and level you may or may not need
  20. Wolfsbaine Active Member

I would try to go for some treasured, or in some cases handcrafted gear to save on money. Try to find items with Crit Bonus (CB) and Potency (Pot). The Crit Bonus will help your spells crit harder, but also help your melee skills. You wont find melee stats on most gear until around level 60. If you are leveling on your own, you will want to keep your gear within about 10 levels of your toon. If you are say 40 then gear ranging from 30 to 40 should be good.You will get higher stats and more mitigation. That will help with the mobs. Same for jewelery. That will increase your resists to spell damage.

The warden is an amazing class to play. When you get to end level and start healing groups and raids you will want to follow this rule. Cure first, Heal second. I never really used the roots on mine. I would cast a spell, bum rush the mob and beat it to death. Good luck on your warden, and as always happy hunting!