New Player Questions

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by cdbailey85, Sep 6, 2020.

1. cdbailey85 New Member

Hey guys,

I'm new to the game. Like really new. I started playing yesterday... I know, I know. I'm late to the party.

I did try EQ2 back at launch and probably still have my physical copy somewhere but my PC wasn't able to run it and then I fell into other games and due to the friendships I'd made, EQ2 became something I was always interested in but never had the chance to play.

I'm in the UK and had a quick play as a F2P player over there but felt a little bit overwhelmed walking into a game that's had so many updates and expansions. Then I read about the progression servers and how content was "released" in waves, this felt like it was more suited to me and less to take in all at once. So I subbed and here I am.

The first thing that struck me was the fact there is no EU progression server which has forced me onto Kaladim. Anyway, this is starting to look like one of those recipe blogs that gives you a life story before cutting to the chase - here are my questions.

1. Are the progression servers a good fit for new players? I know the answers seems obvious but my chat log doesn't seem to be filled with anything other than high level players looking to do high level things. The general chat channel is largely dead, the few things I typed there went unnoticed and I also never saw anyone else use the channel either. Is communication done differently here?
    2. What's the EU population like here? I'm a new, low level, casual player. Will I be able to find a guild? I couldn't seem to see any that specifically stated they were EU/UK based and the one I did message said he was only up this late because it was the weekend... it was 9am for me lol
    So, yeah. I really am enjoying the feel of the game. I did play EQ1 for a time many, many years ago and whilst I know this is vastly different I did miss the world of Everquest and I'm hoping I've not missed the boat too much to be able to experience some of it again.
    SapphireStone79 likes this.
  2. Nazy Well-Known Member

1) Live or TLE are both good for beginners. If you're overwhelmed, go TLE. I hear they groups lots at low levels.
    2) Yes, many Live servers (not sure about TLE but I think they have lots too) have casual guilds that help new players. Hit your U key to bring up the guild list. There are arrows on screen that let you scroll.

Which server are you currently on?

Welcome to Norrath!
    Triad likes this.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You're going to find more lower-level groups on TLE. Ask in the LFG channel, don't wait to be asked. Say where you are going and what level you want group members to be, for example, "Stormhold group forming (lv 20-25), PST to join us!" or some such.
  4. Godsent New Member

What does TLE stand for i am new too
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

"Time Locked Expansion". Kaladim is currently our only TLE server. TLEs start at the original (mostly) and then about every 16 weeks, the next expansion is loaded.

Right now Kaladim folks are mostly going to b at level 80, but since new people often start there, and older residents start alts, it is still possible to get low-level groups. You just need to ask in the LFG channel for people, naming the zone and the level. For example "Fallen Gate group seeks lv 19-25 players for group! PST!"
  6. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

I remember trying a TLE back when they first started. Do they still let the players decide by vote whether or not to start the next expansion?
  7. Dude Well-Known Member

The rules have changed with each server. The current TLE unlocks expansions every 4 months.
    Breanna likes this.