New Player Question: Stuck at Char creation until a response.

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Skoda Zek, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Skoda Zek New Member

Returning player here. Played EQ2 hardcore and left around the launch of sky. So I am essentially a new player considering how long it has been.

I am sitting here at the end of character creation and I cannot go forward cause I have 1 quick question I really need answered to start playing.

I am going with Dark Elf Necro, 2 starting city choices (seems Freeport is gone??) Neriak and Gorgomaw(sp?). Which one should I choose. Thanks, a swift response would be greatly appreciated
  2. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

Either one is fine. Neriak is the dark elf city so if you are a roleplayer it will fit your playstyle better. Neriak and its start area Darklight Wood is evil (aggressive to good) and gloomy and fairly compact.. Gorowyn is the city of the Sarnaks; it is evil neutral (good characters can come and go freely there). Gorowyn's start area is called Timorous Deep; it's more open layout with a southern seas feel.

Both have great start quests and start gear rewards that will get you going. Ground mount quest at about level 20 in each.
    Molly likes this.
  3. Hexalobular Well-Known Member

And you can always change your home city, to Freeport as well.
    Either just go there, buy a house and do the quests or, if you want to do it "properly", go see the ambassador type in your old home city and change citizenship. If you want to go from Evil to Good it's a bit more complicated but there is a quest chain for "Betraying" that gets you exiled and then you can work up faction with a new city. (Or stay in exile.)
  4. Araxes Active Member

I really think Neriak has the best starting zone in the game. It's a geographically compact, but diverse, area. There's a very good sense of logical quest progression, without a lot of back-and-forth rubberbanding. Neriak is the dark elf city, so as a dark elf, you'll fit right in! Darklight Wood is very atmospheric and fun to explore.
  5. Sucuri Active Member

Pretty sure you made it past the character select screen by now, but I would go with Neriak, Darklightwoods had a more recent revamp (very awesome looking now), compaired to Gorowyn / Timmerous Deep (needs some loven).
  6. flameweaver Well-Known Member

Also note that even you are evil aligned you can also do most of the quests in the good starter areas (New Halas and Kelethin) great for XP and AA grinding. I always run my new alts around all 4 areas, and with some smart level locking it's relatively easy to get around 80 AA's by the time you're level 20.
  7. OverDoze Member

i just wanted to know how many quests and how long mentored down doing all 4 cities it took to get 80 aa thats a fair amount of grinding i almost prefer shooting to 20 making a handicraft set and run firemyst gully and blackburrow on firemysts 1 hour 30 minute downtime getting to 20 with 100 aa in about 6 hours with a merc helping in dungeons
  8. Sucuri Active Member

Did the 4 starting areas mainly for the horses they each reward, so far the best layed out ones I think are Neriak (Darkliight Woods) and Halas (Frostfang Sea), I loved Gowoywn (TImmerous Deep) when it first came out, same for Kelethin (Greater Faydark (more recently revamped)) but now they feel sorta dated comapaired, esp Gorowyn...*hint hint*
  9. Estred Well-Known Member

I love the feel of Timorous Deep but indeed it is a bit more spread out compared to the very small Darklight Woods.. but Gorowyn needs a bit of a revamp it feels very old since its release in RoK and the introduction of Sarnaks. Oh, completely random, please give us back our fire-breath even as a "fun spell" that deals no damage :rolleyes: