New player, looking for a good class for soloing content! :D

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Treadstone87, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Treadstone87 New Member

Hi! I'm "new" to EQ2. I have dabbled in it now and again since 2004, but never stuck around because my computer was never good enough to run the game smoothly. I just upgraded yesterday and I was happy to find that I can finally run Everquest 2 on max settings at 30+ FPS! Hooray!

I will celebrate by actually trying to get into the game now. I like group content but I also like being able to solo as much content as possible. I like having the option to go it alone when I don't have the time or inclination to ask for help, especially for older content that people don't do much anymore.

I was wondering about what classes would stand a better chance of soloing stuff? I was thinking about Beastlord, but there's just so many classes in this game and it's been running (and constantly changing) for a decade that searching is giving me a headache!

Since I don't really know how the different classes play, I guess I might as well state my aesthetic preference - in MMOs I usually play either ranged non-magic combat (so bows, pistols, rifles, etc) or melee combat (like warriors and monks, sometimes rogue types but I hate being super-dependent on stealth).

Thanks for reading! :D
  2. oldskool Active Member

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2...ld-someone-briefly-explain-each-class.551053/

The above link has a few posts that give a good overview to the various classes. The 10th and 11th post in particular.

All classes solo fine and lower levels. I usually recommend a tank or scout class for a first toon. If you go with a tank I suggest a wood elf or other race that gives the tracking ability. Its just easier if you can find things.

There are some content things that require you to either purchase them ala cart or buy the AoD feature pack. Mercenaries and the Beastlord class are included in that.
  3. mouser Well-Known Member

If you have a merc, the merc can solo most content for a long time on his own.

Stats have been greatly simplified. Stamina effects your health. Each class has one stat that affects EVERYTHING else. Seriously, they could have just dropped STR, AGI, WIS, etc... and replaced it with STAT. Remember that when you look at gear: +700 AGI does you absolutely no good if you're a warrior. If you're a mage, +500 STR will not make you hit any harder in melee, +INT will.

Personally, I soloed a Guardian through DoF before there were any AA's or merc's, then finished up from there with the new stuff. It's a solid class, can take a beating, and is great if you don't like to run from fights. Berserkers do more damage against multiple opponents (though you can spec a Guardian to do this too through AA's) and have a GREAT self heal at the top of their Berserker tree.

The other archtypes all have their trumps and weaknesses too. Play a few classes for a while and find what suits your style. Look through the AA trees to see what sort of abilities the classes get later on. Read spell and combat art descriptions on the wikia.

Bottom line - any class can solo to 95. They all just do it a bit differently.
  4. Warlyx Active Member

since u dont like playing stealth melee/magic ranged class .....i would recommend a melee/healing class ,by far the best option if u want to solo anything

for healers : Warden/inquisitor/mystic , mystic takes a bit more time until u are "awesome" , warden has the upper hand with teleports/evac /invis
    for tanks : Shadowknight/paladin , plate , heals/wards good dmg , Monk/bruiser are good options if u like the fighting style :D

if u prefer to use bow : Ranger :p can solo and snipe mobs :D , uses stealth for some attacks tho
  5. mouser Well-Known Member

It's a bit of a change, but give Channeler a try for twenty levels or so. It won't take long at all if you play during the double weekend and leave the AA slider alone (or even turn it down). They're healers, but the heal by shooting people with arrows. They're also a pet class, sort of. It's like the ultimate hybrid of hybrids.

You take a channeler and any tank type merc - Vittia is great if you don't have access to the 'special' ones. If you're good, have someone use Call of the Veteran (or Call of the Tinkerer - does that work cross zones?) to port you straight to her, bypassing the guards - don't dilly dally, just tell her to shut up and hire her. You'll be able to duo through pretty much any overland, solo dungeon, and heroic dungeon till you start getting near the more recent expansions. DPS could work well, too (actually, any of them could really, but a few are better with some classes than with others).

The class takes a little bit of reading up on - you'll see AA's for 'dissonance' long before the game actually explains what it is and why you need to manage it, but I love the change of pace from my plate wearing main.
  6. Arieste Well-Known Member

Best classes for soloing are:

Tanks - any flavour, but brawlers and zerker are especially good.
    Summoners - both Necro and Conjy
    Healers - fury and inquisitor

All other classes can solo and many can solo well, but those are best ones.
  7. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

I know that for me . . .before the mercenaries came out. . . I could solo much better with my Monk than I could on any of my other characters. Not so much my Troub or Warlock though . . . .(Thanks the Devs of Mercs)
  8. Bashem Well-Known Member

Any toon can solo these days. I prefer healer types with good merc to kill mobs. The healers I like the most are Inquisitor or a Fury.