New newbie armors?

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Finora, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Finora Well-Known Member

Since my copy hasn't shown up & my old copy is gone I went to make a new character & noticed all the newbie armors have changed in design. Some for the better...some for the much worse (imo). These are just my opinions of course and it's pretty easy to switch out newbie armor for something better but here it is anyway.

Ranger/Assassin/Beastlord -- love the look
    Dirge/Troubador -- nice
    Swashbuckler/Brigand -- pretty nice design... color for the Swashbuckler set is kind of awful and seems not very swashbuckler like to me. Its very very dull.

Monk/Bruiser -- the look isn't bad...however it doesn't look anything like what one would think of for a monk or bruiser who'd ever played Eq2 or Eq1 even. I would have liked to see something that looked more gi-like since that's what monks & bruisers usually end up in at least for a fair portion of their gameplay.
    Guardian/Berserker -- also pretty nice, not a fan of the bumpy knees but otherwise a nice looking set
    Paladin/Shadowknight -- to be honest, I rather liked the old set & really really hope they don't get changed since I've got both a paladin & an SK still wearing the old sets as appearance armor. The armor itself isn't that bad, but I think the old ones in this case were much better.

Inquisitor/Templar -- I like these despite the overmitt gloves. Good color schemes.
    Warden/Fury -- these are very nice imo. Look a lot like the old ones but much better textured.
    Mystic/Defiler -- the crossed straps on the chest look pretty bad females, particularly bad on the elven races, fae & arasai. What's the purpose of the big ole straps with a ring in the middle anyway? Are they like suspenders or something? From the back it looks a bit like overalls.
  2. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Um... bigger problem with the mystic/defiler gear than just the crossed straps. Was checking it on the different races, and the armor doesn't show (for me, at least) on Freebloods. Guys have a pair of white briefs on. Females have a white bikini bottom (or a thong - kind of right between the two looks) and pasties. Seriously, she has more coverage if I take her gear OFF.
    Finora likes this.
  3. Enric_of_Neriak Member

Thought I would go check out the new armors. I would love to be able to quest or buy these in game.

This isn't just you Lodrellhai. The mystic armor isn't showing up on the freeblood race for me either. Creating a freeblood mystic and logging in didn't fix it. The character is 'naked' in the world.

The same holds true for the freeblood/troubador & dirge combo as well. Do those share the same base armor model?

I validated the game files with now luck and logging all the out and back in didn't fix it. Fun stuff.
  4. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Yeah, was just coming to mention the troub/dirge issue as well. Though in the process of fixing it, could you also figure out how to get that effect on other races, even with a little more coverage? While I'm not one myself, I know there's plenty of players out there who miss the stereotypical chainmail bikini.

Also, the swash/brig gear, to me at least, looks like the most races are sporting a heck of a codpiece from the front. Which I good for the guys I guess, but looks odd on the girls. I know it's a color/shading thing and not the actual wireframe, since from the side everything's normal. Pretty sure that light-colored frontpiece is the culprit; being so much lighter than the area around it, it looks like it's jutting forward, catching the light and shading the rest of the area.

I like the mage robes, especially the multicolored belt jewel on the illusionists - any chance of getting that as a dynamic effect?

But I cannot begin to say how disappointed I am to be losing the white monk gi!
    Finora likes this.
  5. oldskool Active Member

Which zone were you questing in?
  6. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

It's not quested gear - or if it is, I haven't played it to see if those were changed. It's the starting gear you get in character creation.
  7. Finora Well-Known Member

I noticed the Freeblood thing after I made the post but hadn't the time to amend things =) So definately not just you.

To Oldskool, it's not quested gear. It's the newbie no stat gear you start with.
  8. Gnobrin Developer

Ack! This was *JUST* brought to my attention this morning about Freebloods being more "open" about their armor-wearing. I've fixed them, so they won't be as "free-and easy" as they once were. There's an art build coming soon, so they *SHOULD* show their armors before they hit live-game.

Yep, this was certainly a "DERP" on my part. Plate armor doesn't want to show on Freebloods when we make it, we kinda have to go in and direct it to do so.
  9. Gnobrin Developer

Yup, this pertains is the gear your character starts in. Supposedly it'll be on a merchant, too... don't quote me on that though, since I am but a wee arteest and am always confused.
  10. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Sorry, had to quote. But will the current newbie armor also be on a merchant? 'Cause I'll really miss that white monk gi.

And any chance the versions on the merchant will have no class restrictions? Since newbie armor is useless for anything but appearance anyway...

And if it's the plate armor that's a pain on freebloods, why are the classes that were going au natural all chain?
  11. Caith Developer

Yes, the current armor will be on the merchant as well, when I get a chance to get it there.

Class restrictions will remain however.