New Necro Gear Advice?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Berus, Mar 9, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Berus Guest

Greetings all,
    I've just started playing EQ 2, and rolled a necro (dark elf) because I enjoy pet classes and read here that the soloing ability was good. So far, it's been great. I reached level 30 today, but I still have little knowledge beyond the basics of the class.
    My question is, what gear attributes are best for a necro who solos? I see "Ability Modifier", which I think means increased spell damage (for necro's at least), and I see gear which is "imbued" meaning it casts sanguine or lambent or some other such effect on a successful hit.
    I know from reading here that STA and INT are good to have, but beyond that, I have no idea which things are preferable to others. Should I try to get as much "Ability Modifier" as possible, or are things like imbued pristine chests or legs better than pieces with +ability modifier? Which charms or totems are best? Which weapons? Also, which spells are most helpful?
    I have done a great deal of reading here and have found it very helpful, but can't seem to find the answers to the above questions (maybe they are too basic or are common sense to anyone who isn't such a newbie like myself?) Any suggestions about armor/weapons/jewelry/charms etc, are helpful.
    Thanks in advance!

---Berus
  2. ARCHIVED-Jasuo Guest

Alot of that stuff won't actually matter till you're up in end game tier, just use whatever quested or instance drop loot you get. You want to work towards 100% crit, ~1k-1.2k ability mod, and then try to cap potency and build up high crit bonus. You'll also want to raise cast haste and reuse as often as you can thru gear/buffs since we're the only mage class that Sony felt the need to keep from getting such AA's (aside from pandemic).
  3. ARCHIVED-Berus Guest

Jasuo,
    Thanks for your reply. I understand most of it, but I'm a little unclear on some of the terms you used, such as "cap potency". Not sure I know what you mean there - I haven't seen any items that said "potency". Most of the ability modifier items I have access to would be +10. Is that worth bothering with? Also, I haven't seen any spell +crit items yet. I am probably too low? (level 30). Ditto for cast haste or reuse - I haven't seen any of that stuff yet in quest loot or on the brokers.
    Which spells are most useful for me at this point?

Thanks!
  4. ARCHIVED-Jasuo Guest

You are too low to see all those mods, but it's never too early to get the mind knowing what to keep a look out for later, potency = base. It's ok to get those items with ability mod, they help.
    Useful spells at your level are all of them ( while soloing), you don't have the gear or AA to make the dots move to priority cast yet till you start getting crit chance and alot of ability mod, once you do though, you'll go from spamming everything to using 4 or 5 spells repeatedly.
  5. ARCHIVED-Berus Guest

Jasuo,

Thanks again - another question: does race make a noticable difference? If so, does any race have an advantage for playing a necro?

thanks again!
  6. ARCHIVED-Daelim Guest

There are a lot of different opinions on race. Some people think it matters, some people don't. I've always been a min/maxer so when i created my necro (the day EQ2 went live) I chose Erudite because at the time, Erudites were the best race for casters. Once you get to max level and decent gear race really doesn't matter anymore other thena few minor little perks. I've been thinking about switching my necro to Fey just for the fey glide... lol
  7. ARCHIVED-Jasuo Guest

Berus wrote:
    In all honesty race doesn't really affect the class all that much and you'll see varying opinions, my necro was an iksar in EQ1 so I carried him over that way in EQ2. I will say this though, no other (caster oriented) race has a higher capacity for raw hp like the iksar and the safe fall/water breathing have come in handy.