New Marketplace Items: Bovochs and Bristlebane!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Dexella, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mathrim Active Member

How is it just 1 item? Do you not even grasp that this has further reaching effects than just that pink meatbeast?

Now all of a sudden 1 Station Cash card is no longer enough for 1 mount. It's now 3 if you have to buy them on a non-bonus weekend. What is that going to do to SC for plat sales in channel. All of a sudden it's no longer a player asking for 1 but now everyone that wants to participate on these special items NEEDS 3! People will need to do boring farming even more to participate in the game since people are going to be forced to hoard even more SC. Will there even be enough of a supply to cover the SC to plat conversions for people. How many people are actually going to be able to afford $45 in SC when $15 used to suffice.

Will 5k Station cash even be enough for next time? Will I need 10k instead? It's hard to believe that you don't even realize that.

Please oh great Lempo, tell me how I'm grasping at straws. Once you are done with that, please tell me how Smokejumper promised F2P would never come to live servers, then please tell me how Smokejumper promised that the marketplace would never provide game effecting items......

I don't have to grasp at straws. SOE's track record is drowning me in them already.
    Fractals, Malleria and Mae- like this.
  2. Torryn Woodsrunner Active Member

Once again, they take a perfectly brilliant idea and screw it up with their own marketing.

And in not ADMITTING to that mistake, and instead justifying it as 'Premium Pricing', they push me, and others, a little further out of their world. Because I'm not keen on contributing to a company where the next neat marketplace item comes with a "How much you got?" price tag.

Not that they'd miss me much. I'm just one of the regular monthly subscribers, who occasionally throws a little extra at the SCMP. My contribution to SOE totals maybe $250/year average. They don't need me, or players like me, when they can continue to make outrageous amounts on 'Premium' marketplace items.
  3. Meidjum Active Member

It is painfully obvious that SOE is not concerned with the play base. Sony gets hacked and it the players fault, players get mad about pricing and are ignored, bugs stay in the game for years (COV) and it's working as intended. 50$ for a re-skinned and they don't blink an eye, have they ever heard about attracting more with sugar then salt? Post get deleted for stating the obvious.
  4. Hammdaddy Active Member

My posts always get deleted when i state the obvious because these mods have no idea what they are doing.
  5. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

That the official response even includes the possibility of repeating this fiasco is the single most depressing thing I have read in all of this.

Exclusive, rare items? I thought that's what raid loot was for. I don't gripe about most raid perks because the people who get them work their tails off for them. (Exception being the Chelsith stone, which is of interest primarily to lore fans but available only to raiders.) This is a recolor of a mount that is selling for a normal price - or within the normal range for mounts in general, still expensive for a ground mount. Please, please someone up there explain to us what intrinsic value a recolor adds to this thing that makes it worth more than an expansion?

There are plenty of rare items in-game that were either limited release or required a high performance threshold - ie, live events and raid loot. None of them required a price tag beyond all reason.

You guys advertised this, you built up player anticipation, you encouraged stocking up on SC, you even stock the market with two other mounts of the same type, with only a color difference. And then you charge more than double the price of the most expensive mount - most expensive ANYTHING - in the shop. I think only the romantic furnishing bundle comes anywhere close to the same price, and that includes 5 furniture sets, 1 paint set, a couple house items, and a rose circlet.
    Taysa likes this.
  6. Taemisa Active Member

You are grasping at straws to defend the indefensible.
  7. Revekk Member

The rub here is this is not a REAL world item. This is a virtual item. Virtual items are never rare they are infinite. The rarity is controlled by one entity either though pricing or time availability. It is completely their discretion what is rare as it's an artificial construct. Therefore anything that is ever made now or in the future is either rare or common based on their criteria so it is all meaningless.

Compare to real world items which have finite numbers for many reasons.

Then look at monopolies such as the diamond industry. (Though they are slowing losing their grip) Diamonds are actually a very plentiful resource and we may never run out of need but the supply is controlled.

Soe is the monopoly here. When the source is controlled the so called "rarity" is controlled. That makes rarity and exclusivity a moot point. If anything can be "rarified" then premium pricing based on such is meaningless as well.

But we like shiny diamonds don't we?
    Taysa likes this.
  8. Iren Active Member

Can't wait to see how much the next expats gonna cost lol
  9. Malleria Well-Known Member

I'm sure it'll be a "premium" expansion.
  10. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

It is only a rare exclusive item because you chose to make it that way to jack up the price. I am amazed that you let the old man with the crayons pass off a tint of an item as something rare. Well, maybe decent colors are a rarity with all the browns and greys, but still not worth paying extra.

Try copying Costco instead of Disney when marketing. For example you had grape vines for 250 sc and I would have loved to put in a vineyard or two but not at that price. Price drops to 50sc I bought 50 and put in 2 vineyards. Did you lose money because the grapes cost so much to make and sold so cheap? No but if you left the price at 250 you lose the money I spend on vineyards.
    Tariya, Karrane and Tylia like this.
  11. Poisinivy Member

you know I find it quite amazing that you are all blasting soe for selling a once in a lifetime sale item for 5k SC 5k SC for most of you that you get with in game plat, heck while we are at it most of you pay ur subs with plat pay ur krono with plat but yet you come here to blast SOE who quite honestly is an extremely good gaming company when it comes to the treatment of its players wallets, seriously get your heads out of the sand and go check out the other gaming companies and how bad they nail their players wallets if you think soe is bad. PW and Nexon come to mind off the top of my head.

you dont HAVE to have a berry bovoch BUT in those other games the stuff you pay a LOT of money to get is required to be cutting edge, be thankful soe ONLY uses the cash shop to sell FLUFF items, heaven forbid if they remove all spells from game and make them ONLY available thru the cash shop for example, or adornments imagine adornments requiring extremely rare materials that you can only get through WEEKS of farming instead of minutes of farming
    Elostirion likes this.
  12. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

No it is just hard to discuss something when the entitled mentality is the crux and basis for the entire discussion, lot of advertisements for items have the little disclaimer - *price may vary
    Lempo and Elostirion like this.
  13. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

welcome to the world of retail sales and profit business strategies, you are manipulated ever day into purchasing items by the use of tv, radio, internet and printed advertisements.
  14. Revekk Member

It doesn't bother me what soe sells anything for, although the pink bovoch could have been handled better, it's when they say things like "regular pricing structure" and "rare and exclusive."
    Basically an item is created and using statistics from previous items and intuition about demand they try to arrive at the best price that will yield the highest sales totals. taking into account the cost to develop the item.
    They have nothing to lose by making the pink one and selling it at any price. The development was done all they had to do is change the color. It doesn't matter what price they set it at even one sale makes them money, but they can look at the sales and see where the price point is. They'll always try to push the bubble that's business I suppose :) They can't lose.
    Now if they only made a pink one and priced it and it didn't sell that would be a gamble.
  15. Archaical Active Member

People, just quit. SOE is the most hated name in the industry for a reason. They took the name Everquest from the number 1 most popular MMO to not even the top 20. That takes some monumental incompetance. If your only reason for staying in game is the fact that you think this is the best MMO, then just stop playing MMO's. It's that simple. There is a plethora of better games out there. You don't need MMO's, and you surely don't need these fools syphoning all your money into the next failed project of theirs. EQ Next is going to bomb so hard, and everybody knows it. Get off the train before it crashes is my advice to you.
    Vandrago likes this.
  16. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

No thanks, still enjoy playing it. Hope you enjoy what ever game and forum you migrate to when you leave. As Casey johns once said "All Aboard!!!"
  17. Tylia Well-Known Member

My husband and I do not buy our SC with plat. We do not pay our subs with plat or krono. We do not play other games, we play this one, so we could really care less what other games do or do not do. We feel the way the berry bovoch mount was marketed and sold was deceitful (I'm not going to argue words and their meanings with you or anyone else.) and as that is my feelings and opinion on the whole situation, I am going to let SoE know about it. That is what these forums are for, and you are free to voice your point of view. However, I (or anyone else who disagrees with the way this whole situation was handled) do not deserve to be beaten about the head and shoulders for disagreeing with SoE or for having the point of view that we do. I'm not going to argue with anyone about it. I feel it was the wrong approach for SoE to take. I feel I was deceived. I am afraid of what this "experiment" may mean for future marketplace sales. That is my opinion, and I'm not wrong for having it and I'm sticking to it.
    Lodrelhai, Orpiment and Mae- like this.
  18. Mystfit Well-Known Member

Sorry. I don't buy that. I left eq2 in a snit for awhile last year. I tried SEVERAL MMO's and look where I am. There is something in eq2 that resonnates. There are things I wish were different, nothing is perfect, but your opinions do not match mine.
  19. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

Ok, the burden of proof is on you - what validated information are you basing the statement

"but their complete disregard for acknowledging why are they the most hated company in the industry, and the fact they took the name Everquest, which was the most popular MMO ever, and turned it into a small niche game due to their monumental incompetence is reason to not play."

Have to see what you are basing this opinion on, or is It just your opinion with no basis in actual facts. Sorry it is the MMO that I like and I have no desire to take your opinion as gospel and "quit" been in the game since alpha 1 back in 1998 and will be here when the lights are turned off and the servers are junked. Little curious also on a sub comment you make in that opinion, would like some clarification - specifically - "they took the name Everquest" curious on the reasoning behind that cryptic remark. Clarification if you please

Also curious as to why if you hate the game so much you are taking time to comment on it.
  20. Elostirion Well-Known Member

So you like Eq2, but its a monumental failure, and if we like MMO's, then we should stop playing them.

Nevermind, you didnt eat cranky puffs this morning, more like insanity O's.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.