New install/Windows 11: "Failed to init Arial" error.

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by BassDude2112, Jun 9, 2022.

1. BassDude2112 New Member

I thought I would try out the new progression server, installed EQ2 on my new Windows 11 machine I built about a month ago, and I get this error when I try to launch the game: "Failed to init font: Failed to init Arial. You may need to reboot before some fonts will load". Needless to say rebooting doesn't do anything. I did a pretty thorough search on this error leading me to download an Arial32.exe package that doesn't help at all. Some other articles and links that I found are now dead links. I do have Office installed (as some articles refer to), and I think the issue may be something to do with that. However, I uninstalled Office and I get the same error. Any help would be appreciated greatly.
    Twyla likes this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Make sure you have DirectX 9.0C installed. EQ2 is picky and wants that specific version. It will co-exist politely with later DX releases.
    Twyla likes this.
  3. BassDude2112 New Member

Unfortunately, that didn't do anything. That was one of the first things I tried as I've had issues years ago with DirectX 9.0c not being installed. Not in this case though.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Download the Arial Font, then boot into Safe Mode. Install Arial. Restart your computer. Sometimes the Arial.ttf gets corrupted, although as I recall that was more of a Vista problem.
  5. BassDude2112 New Member

Doesn't work either. I even went a bit further and extracted the 4 arial fonts OUT of the Arial32.exe file, and copied them over to the Windows/Fonts folder manually in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.. nada.