New here.. just a few general questions!

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Akodeo, Jul 30, 2022.

1. Akodeo New Member

First off, hello! I am a brand new player of EQ2 and just wanted to ask a few questions before I sink time into the game. I started as a warden and got to level 11 and love the fact I already have 3 forms to transform into! One thing I am worried about with this game is the population. I enjoy raiding and being in a guild a lot in MMORPGs so I was wondering if the games population is high enough to queue for dungeons or raids without waiting hours on end?

2nd of all, if I was to continue and reach level cap of the base game and decide to buy the expansions, how would I start them? Does it tell you where to go upon buying the expansion? and do you guys have any tips on how to efficiently make my way through each one efficiently?

Any other newcomer tips are extremely appreciated too! Thanks in advance
    Jesaine likes this.
  2. Jesaine Well-Known Member

There's enough activity to satisfy your raiding desires. :)

TBH though, you're likely to be running solo up till "end game", which varies based on if you're on a time locked server or not. Don't let that discourage you however. The lower level content has been made fairly easy to solo, at least on the normal servers. Leveling goes pretty quick also. Even more so if you use Solo Agnostic Dungeons.

If you want to avoid some of the soloing, maybe try the Varsoon time locked server. It's the newest, and is time locked at level 50 (the original level cap), so it's closest to the original experience. Likewise, you can start raiding the lower level dungeons. Time locked require a subscription as a heads up.

Level cap... I'm not sure what it is at this point without the current Xpac. However, that current expansion will get you all previous content. Most of the later expansion content, and some other quests will get started via and in-game email from a quest giver.

Efficiency Tips: The EQ2 wiki has walk-throughs for nearly every quest in the game. Consult it regularly and you'll blow through content.

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/EverQuest_2_Wiki:Main_Page

Overall, you'll find the game has a great, helpful community. Some toxic jerks and whiners, but far less than most MMOs anymore.
    Aterskia, Twyla and Geroblue like this.
  3. Klownage New Member

Welcome to eq2! Id recommend starting out on the new TLE server called varsoon if you havnt already. Most populated server at the moment (imo) and will be the most populated for some time. While alot of people on varsoon are at current max level, theres still a few mid level groups going, an infinate number more then on live haha.
    Jesaine and Geroblue like this.
  4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Howdy and welcome aboard !
    Jesaine likes this.
  5. Arandar Well-Known Member

There's enough of a population to support end-game raiding, but there really is no functional WoW-style dungeon finder or LFR system. Groups and raiding will largely be done in within guild. On the standard servers, there are fairly strict minimum gearing requirements to begin grouping and then raiding, so there's a lot of up-front gearing you'll need to do.

The wiki (as previously mentioned) is a good resource, and there's some threads here on the forums that discuss it as well. The one thing I would definitely recommend against is boosting yourself to level 120. You will be firehosed with spells and abilities that you have no idea how to use or understand what they do.

The free-to-play content ends at level 100, so up to then you're basically playing in a trial mode. It will give you a good general feel for the game, but after that if your goal is end-game grouping and raiding, you'll absolutely need a subscription and I'd also say at least the collector's edition of the current expansion.

The alternative is the TLE server Varsoon. This requires a subscription upfront (there's no free-to-play option there), but it would provide a much more gradual introduction to the game. You'll also generally find a lot more opportunities for grouping at lower levels and raiding at the level cap (currently level 50, which will increase to level 60 in September). Varsoon intentionally doesn't have all of the "bells and whistles" of the standard servers, but it's also not a complete throwback to the original game as it was in 2004 (which depending on who you talk to is either a good thing or a bad thing).

If you think you might be interested in playing on Varsoon, I wrote a wiki article that may help get you started.
    https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/User:Megaton238/Varsoon_TLE_Server
    Twyla likes this.
  6. Sevantal Member

First question: While LFG que's exist in game they aren't used. Just watch chat for guilds recruiting. There are many guilds with good populations that will help you every step of the way including power leveling, spell upgrading, help in zones, a few extra plat so you're not broke, etc. EQ2 is a community of mostly kind helpful individuals, and the way to the top is much easier with help. You will find there are a lot of moving parts in the game but if you surround yourself with a few vets willing to answer questions you will end up with the tools you need to really enjoy the game.

Second question: Buy the expansion ASAP as it will effect your low level game play in many cases including your /claim. Also go all access. This one is important. You receive so many benefits it's worth it including much faster XP gains and 3x vendor coins.

The first thing to do is get in an active guild. If you get recruited to a guild and find that it isn't very active leave and look for another one until you find a good one. Your love or hate of EQ2 depends on it. Enjoy and I hope you have great travels.
  7. Aterskia Active Member

me's gots simpul jes-tion,...
    "enjoy the journey,... appreciate where yu be's":D

der be's SOOOOO much to doos long ways:
    History(ies), Language(s) Quests
    Collection(s) (unique gear, house items, books, etc.)
    Housing (single room, multies room, mansions, entire zones! awl fur yu's to decorate!)
    Crafting (yu's kin makies lotsa stuf.. house items, gear, weapons, clothing, etc etc)
    [youtube be gots lots uv EQ2 Housing Tours done; likes Niboota, & Kiane, jus to name two of LOTS!!]
    Fashion (fur zample: yu wanna awl pewky-green armor? yu's kin find or makies kompleet set!)
    etc.etc.
    ann awe deez makies GREAT world fur veri robust Role Play!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

enyhow, deys aw-ways put dat "end Carrot" jus outa reach,... :mad:
    bess yu's no be lookies to an "end."
    jus enjoy journies,...:)
    Twyla, Jesaine and Sturmlocke like this.
  8. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

This 100%. Whatever you do, do not rush to the top. Take the time to find a friendly guild and make sure that you stop to smell the roses from time to time (ignore the agnostic dungeons for example). The goal isn't the endgame, but the journey and the experiences you gather on your way to the top.

Here's a mission that I don't think anyone has accomplished yet (?): Try to do every single quest in every single zone. Let's see how long it takes you to do that :D

Welcome, enjoy and cheers!
    Twyla, Aterskia and Jesaine like this.
  9. Jesaine Well-Known Member

That EVERY quest is virtually impossible since some are Freeport or Qeynos faction based and a few are class based also. :)
    Geroblue likes this.
  10. Aterskia Active Member

awe SO! keps inna mind dat LEVEL can/may/does affect what quest(s) yu's sees!!!
    So, assurs yu's got access to yur Guild's Chronomage, or be kno-in where's Chronomage be in cities (likies right near Kelehin's World Bell)
    Den yu kin set yu's self to level of area.

Awe sew, awe sew!!
    sum zones gib diff'ent gear drops BASED ON LEVEL: fur zample: Miragul's Menagerie, gear changes ev'ry 10 levels (if mem serbs me) [inn der a museum dat dispwaies awel the gear fum Miragul's Menagerie? i furgits]
  11. Aterskia Active Member

not be's em-posbul if yu's be (temporarily) chan'jin sides via BetRail,... den go'es backies. :D
    den kin gits dem quests ;)

me's do dat WAY lung tim go, wanted completely black (even trim) hood, but kud ohnees if yu's Assassin,... sews me's chang tu 'Sin, gots quest hood, den went back :cool: