New Green Adorn Recipes and why have them limited charges?

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Darkzypher, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Darkzypher Well-Known Member

Code:
    \aITEM 1876377883 -1619082711:Pickclaw Trickster's Gemstone\/a
    This is just an example of one of the new green adornments that was put into game with the launch of ToV and I'm seriously confused as to WHY they are only 6 charges. The drop rate isn't nearly high enough to justify the "charges on it". What is the point behind this? Normally when you learn something, you learn it to get better at something not learn it to forget it....

The average price of 6 charges of this recipe is 200p+ on Antonia Bayle and thats a lot of plat for most people. Can the dev's possibly give an explanation as to why they created it this way? I am not the only one upset and perturbed about this. I have seen this talked about in all the common channels not to mention crafters are not rich people on the hole. Yet you want the crafters to go out and farm it when its not a common enough recipe? Something is seriously wrong with this picture.
    Malleria likes this.
  2. Prrasha Well-Known Member

For the in-game rationale, think about "scrolls" in classic D&D. They're written instructions for mages to use--and with effort they can be transcribed into a full version of the spell in a spellbook--but most of the magic is part of the scroll, so you can read the scroll to cast the spell without having studied it.

I view charged recipes the same way. Not all of the magic comes from the materials or the craftsman, some of it is locked up in the recipe book. It's a bound set of six (or however many charges) "Enchant an Item" scrolls.

(The stuff that throws me right out of suspension-of-disbelief land are the other loot-rate-entry hacks. Attunement makes sense, goes all the way back to Excalibur and Mjolnir... but how does Heirloom and No-Trade work in-world?... The questgiver can hand you an item, but you can't hand it to anyone else, other than (sometimes) a random set of other people who you've literally never met since you can't log in two alts at the same time? Etyma are rare, but every guildhall and tradeskilling area can have a fuel vendor with an infinite supply, to trade back-and-forth with his infinite supply of draconic incense. Loot crates: here's a box with 4 things in it, but 3 of them vaporize themselves when you touch the 4th... wacky beyond belief.)

As for the drop rate... I dunno. Early-expansion effect? They can't be super-uncommon if people are trying to sell them on the broker already. It'll be like the dropped green adorns when they were added... 500pp the first week, 20pp a few months in.
  3. Deveryn Well-Known Member

It's not intended that every recipe be acquired by pure crafters. This has been the case since the Skyshrine update, when they introduced the raid apprentice recipes. This is more for people who adventure and craft. It's a way to change up the item drops. Charges keeps the actual item's rarity in check.
    Estred likes this.
  4. Malleria Well-Known Member

Because the raid apprentice recipes disappeared from your book after 6 crafts? :rolleyes:
  5. Wurm Well-Known Member

I'm not upset about this, I looted one yesterday and its an adornment I can use.

But I won't... why? Because its a "Level through Adventure XP one, and the last one of those I used took close to an entire year to level. And I'm sorry no one has time for that.

So if I do craft them I'll ask friends if they want them and if they say no thanks I'll try to sell them.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

The new ones level pretty quickly, actually. I made one and had it at level 20 in a few days w/o working at it.
  7. Wurm Well-Known Member

Oh 1 to 20 isn't a big deal... wait till its 40 to 50
  8. Mermut Well-Known Member

I've had 'level on adventure xp' adorns before. These are moving noticably faster for me.