New Arrows and the Calculation of Poison Damage

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-dartie, Feb 13, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-dartie Guest

[p]Some readers may remember a post from one of the devs (before the old forums were locked) about the arrows that we can look forward to. I don't recall the names, but there were "long range, low damage" arrows and "short range, high damage" arrows. I'm not sure when we'll see them in the game, but I've already made an archer in anticipation of the new arrows.[/p][p]What I'm curious about is how poison will work with the new arrows (and whether or not the dev team has an answer on this question yet). Will poison damage fall off as distance to the target increases? If so, by how much? [/p][p]I haven't paid much attention to poison damage so far, so I would be grateful to anyone who could explain how it works in game now. If a T2 ranger with an imbued bone longbow and "apprentice's hemotoxin" uses ordinary arrows and a cobat art (let's say heated shot), can someone walk me through the way damage is calculated?[/p][p]If you're feeling really perky, I'd love for someone to walk me through the benefits of spending AA points on the poison tree and intelligence for rangers. Is there is a strong mathematical argument for going this route over strength and a couple of other combat arts? [/p][p]Does distance have any effect on poison damage at the moment?[/p][p]Thanks for any explanations.[/p][p] [/p][p] [/p][p] [/p]
  2. ARCHIVED-Malchore Guest

[p]Poison is just a spell proc. Each time you use poison, it functions no differently than a buff or spell proc. Poison is not applied to the bow or arrow, it's only applied to you the toon. As a predator or rogue, you can proc a poison hit from either melee autoattack, ranged autoattack, melee CAs or ranged CAs. It will only proc from your primary weapon if dual wielding.[/p][p]Because longbows have 7 sec delays, you typically get a lot of poison procs using ranged attacks.[/p][p]As far as the upcomming arrow changes are concerned, I can't see how poison would be effected by that change at all.[/p]
  3. ARCHIVED-dartie Guest

[p] Thanks for the response, Malchor. I clearly had no understanding at all of how poison works. If I understand you correctly, then it probably makes a lot of sense for rangers to pump INT and the poison tree on AA so that they can use the new "high-range, low-damage arrows"--since the poison could easily do way more damage than the arrows.[/p][p] [/p]
  4. ARCHIVED-UlteriorModem Guest

[p]Goes to show you what I know.[/p][p]I thought it worked on melee attacks only.[/p]
  5. ARCHIVED-Malchore Guest

[p]You can chose your AA lines as you like, however for my ranger I went down the AGI and INT lines, for the same reasoning as you (to improve poison damage.) I only have 34 AAs at the moment and so far I applied them all to the AGI line and havn't speny any on INT yet. But I'm only level 51 and for the way I play right now vs. what I'll need when I reach level 65 and start to raid, I'll probably have to completely re-assign everything.[/p][p]Anyways, you'll do more damage with your arrows than poison. With a critical I can sometimes do as much as 900 dmg with one arrow from autoattack. But I also have a weak bow (Bow of Arcane Fire). I can't use T6 mastercrafted poisons until I reach level 52, so for now I'm using the regular handcrafted stuff. My poison damage is 366 for each proc.[/p][p]The poison damage is a seperate mechanic from ranged damage. When you attach with an arrow (or with your swords for that matter,) if it hits it does it's own damage. You have a chance each successful attack to proc poison damage. If you successfully proc poison, you'll do however much damage the poison can do.[/p]