Nerf Breeze!!

Discussion in 'Illusionist' started by ARCHIVED-Ayun, Jan 12, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Ayun Guest

Yes, that's right please! For the love of George do anything so that I dont need to cast it plus Haste every 3 mins on almost EVERY group member. It's driving me a little batty. Groups really like the Breeze up constanly on AT LEAST 4-5 people, and they are probaly correct that when im not mezzing i should make sure the breeze and haste is up, BUT who wants to use a million buffs like that in 3 mins? That is far from fun to play.
    My solution: Nerf it. If you need to reduce the already extremely low regen rate and make it last longer do so :). Or Make it a group regen buff with reduced regen, even better! I'm willin to give a little to get a little here :)

Let's put it another way. I often see tanks not using their 3 min buffs. Those are GROUP BUFFS :). They dont like to cast them every 3 mins, why would i like to cast non-group buffs every 3 mins on each individual person.

Yes, i could tell the groups that they're just gonna have to live without it, and I often do. But, in the end they are most likely correct that i should take the time to use those buffs constantly if im not mezzing, because it is more helpful for the group than my sorry damage.. this fact means I am not justified in refusing to be a breeze/haste bot!
  2. ARCHIVED-Slunk Guest

If you are in a group and you have got all the mobs locked down in a good CC rotation, you should not be focusing on buffing. You should be focusing on draining power and stunning. If the mob is stifled and has no power then your healers use less power and thus, have less of a dependency on breeze. I do not keep breeze up on everyone in my groups - if someone dips to 50%, then they get a breeze.

With Arcane Chalice there is no reason to have breeze on everyone within a group. Any group that demands to have everyone hasted/breezed is, imo, simply an example of a very inefficient, ignorant group.

With good crafter made drink I never cast breeze on myself unless it's a very tough fight. And even then I don't do it till I'm at around 50%. If anyone in the group starts to dip below 20 I call for a few Chalices and before you know it everyone is back up to 50. This buff whining from groups gets really old. This isn't EQ1, it helps to think outside the box and reconsider the appropriate time to use the buffs that are given to us.

The only advice I can give you is try to educate your groups about the other things you bring to the table as an illusionist. If they can't understand it, then you have two options. Find a new group or buff them and be less effective for the sake of XP.
  3. ARCHIVED-Syrano Guest

I've seen this request a few times. Early on I saw a few enchanters complaining about the buff timer on Breeze, saying it needs to be longer because they can't keep it up on all group members. I chuckled then and I chuckle now. Wodash is often in my groups as an enchanter. He's %100 right. The most powerful thing he brings to our group is the power drains and stifles. Healers need to use less mana if the mob can't execute specials. When it's stunned it can't do damage. Melee chars don't use enough power, even against a orange or red con mob, to justify breeze. Yes, in some long fights against multiple mobs or a string of bad adds with no break, power pools get low. Arcane Challice fixes that. %15-%20 power heal back to everyone > breeze any day of the week.

Breeze is useful if the healer is getting low or in our case, our Paladin always drains a ton of power. But it is not the be all end all Clarity was in EQ1. Enchanters are far more valuable for their other abilities, crowd control etc.

Then again, that's the attitude we have because our tactics focus on what we have, not what we wish we had. As a result, we do great.
  4. ARCHIVED-Sneiky Guest

I keep breeze on the main healer at all times if possible and then focus on CC..mez,stuns and stifle. Thats where the fun is. If time permits then myself and others get the breeze. But it would be nice if it lasted longer than 3 minutes...maybe like 10 minutes would be fine.

Harlie of E' Ci
    Illusionist / Jeweler
    Lucan D'lere server
  5. ARCHIVED-Hoom Guest

While I tend to keep Breeze up on 3-4 group members, I know I can usually get by with casting it less often. Having played a Bard in eq, I am used to a lot of keyboard work and don't mind it. Still, when I am in a pick-up group I notice that only the poorer players request it. Why abandon all thoughts of power conservation just because there is Breezer in the group? I keep it up more than necessary just in case things go south (usually due to an afk rather than adds). I can live with it as it is, but even an additional 30 seconds on the timer would add to the fun factor, imo.
  6. ARCHIVED-Naeryondam Guest

Heh, doubt they would nerf it, but I would not mind seeing breeze and haste as extreamly long lasting single target buffs that take concertration slots up. This would allow me to have 2 breezes up, with a haste and then a misc buff or 2.
  7. ARCHIVED-Ziro Guest

Hey

Why nerf?

Make it longer duration at best or make it "permanent" grp buff and take up 1 conc.
  8. ARCHIVED-Ayun Guest

I dont know guys, often the groups that want it are the best... chaining double up oranges/yellows. Serious chaining, not just pretend chaining :). And you're wrong about the tanks, they need it just as much if not more than casters. Why wouldnt they? A good tank is laying down the styles like mad. And why shouldnt they? Their styles do more damage than our damage spells, in general. I havent done measurements, but im almost sure my 21 guardian outdamages my 24 illusionist, and the guardian is a defensive player. I'm not talking about crappy groups who have tons of down time, i'm talking about good balanced groups who seem to use power almost equally throughout the group.
    Sure power drains are great, but it takes a special group to understand and recognize that.. and are the drains really better than giving your whole group a dps increase with more power and haste? hmm..
  9. ARCHIVED-Raeya Guest

Argh! I couldn't agree more! As an Illusionist it is such a pain to keep Breeze and Haste on the majority of group memebers. While it isn't nearly as beneficial as Clarity was in EQ1, it is still a spell I have the ability to use and should use when I can.

I would love to see Breeze as a group buff with a shorter recast time or possibly even an extended version with a longer recast time. While you're at it, I would also like a custom crafted heart shaped bed for my room and the option to add mirrors to my walls.

Thanks in advance! :smileyvery-happy:
  10. ARCHIVED-Caldaini Guest

If you don't want to cast it, for goodness' sake, don't. I breeze before battles, and it lets them burn more mana, and rarely does anyone dip below 80%. We don't have downtime, unless it was a really long battle with a boss or multiple adds.

Once you get Scintillating Aura at 36, it becomes much easier. I do it because I don't want downtime, and other people like it. Getting Chalice isn't the easiest thing to do with pickup groups, and I find it quicker and easier just to cast breeze.

I only put haste and intensity on melee tanks and scouts. That's usually only 1-3 people. With 2 breeze spells, it doesn't take long to breeze the entire group.

If you're too lazy to buff, just don't. I don't want my buffs nerfed because you're too lazy and want an excuse to justify not casting it. There isn't much point in having the spell at all if you aren't going to use it. Maybe another class is more your style.
    Message Edited by Caldaini on 01-12-2005 10:31 PM
  11. ARCHIVED-Nalaani Guest

not like it matters. clearly the devs dont read the Illusionist forum.
  12. ARCHIVED-Ayun Guest

Heya Caldaini, I dont know, maybe it's you who needs to reconsider your class. Maybe you should be a crafter, they just sit there and hit the same buff spells over and over and over while crafting, sounds like something you'd be great for :). See i play games to enjoy a bit of strategy and do new things. Crowd control classes are usually about playing strategically and often have lots of variation in each round of fighting. Casting Breeze and Alacrity over and over is a far cry from anything fun, to any sane person, surely not an adventure class. I guess i'm just lazy because i dont like to play the buff-spam game ehh? Hmm I thought lazy people were the ones who did the same thing over and over w/out thinking to dynamically about much of anything :)
    Sure in any MMO you're going to get repetition. But there ARE levels of repetition at which it's just not fun anymore, and actually doesnt make much sense. Breeze repetition is such a level.
  13. ARCHIVED-Kitorian Guest

Its the recast time on breeze thats really anoying, would be so much better if we could, breeze,breeze,breeze........ then forget about it for 3 mins or 4mins 30secs with the new trait one!

But with the 15 sec recast time, u have to keep an eye on it and think about it all the time. :(
  14. ARCHIVED-Phantym Guest

At what level do you get the trait Breeze?
  15. ARCHIVED-Oldlore Guest

Clearly there is nothing "fun" or "skillful" about constantly buffing a group for hours at a time. People do it because they're forced to or because they've decided the benefit is worth the trouble, just like every other decision. But I really do think the constant buffing needs
  16. ARCHIVED-Oldlore Guest

ack double post
    Message Edited by Oldlore on 01-13-2005 08:48 PM
  17. ARCHIVED-Oldlore Guest

Clearly there is nothing "fun" or "skillful" about constantly buffing a group for hours at a time. People do it because they're forced to or because they've decided the benefit is worth the trouble, just like every other decision in a group/battle. But I really do think the 3 minute single target buffs and/or 15s recast timer needs to be looked at. It really just gets tedious and if the devs are REALLY worried that making it last longer or be group-castable would "overpower" the buffs, then they should've considered that when they put the buffs in. As it is, most enchanters still use the buffs and SOE winds up with a bunch of annoyed players for no reason. IMO they should either 1) make it group castable and increase the power cost by a lot, 2) eliminate recast timer so they could all be cast once every 3 minutes, or 3) increase duration and power cost.
  18. ARCHIVED-Slimyface Guest

I dont mind it really. Keeps every encounter exciting. Keeps ya on your toes.

I would like alacrity to have a bit more affect though... maybe I just need Adept III though.
  19. ARCHIVED-Nasyr2412 Guest

I absolutely agree Ayun. This is one of the main reasons why i stopped playing my lvl 32 coercer...
  20. ARCHIVED-Morphydia Guest

just making it castable immediately after would be really better. WHat bothers me is the 15 sec wait between the casts, it obliges me to recast during fight :(