Need inspiration for a side balcony in the Private Opera

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Hartsmith, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

I am wanting to place a pair of balconies that can sit two house actors. Has anyone done anything similar to this that I can go check out?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Eee...not that I know of, though you could do a Search on Private Opera and check out entries; I haven't seen any examples myself, but that doesn't mean anything. :-/

I've never been in one, but I think they're all semi-circular? No sharp edges, like an actual "box" or two Dividers or Stairs coming to a point? :-/

And you could fake there being doors to "staircases" leading up to them... ;->

A lot of the various City Festival Counters are kind of box-ish, but look like half of a hexagon to me (and would need flooring, so the toffs [Time Lords? Hexagonal... :D] don't fall out)...hmm. Just trying to remember where I've seen semi-circular things that have actual walls, rather than just the half-circle Qeynos Counter or whatever it's called (Lion's Mane?) you get for free when you get your first Qeynos home.

Hmm...might be easier to do it as conjoined Stairs or Dividers, with a flattened Triangle "Tile" (heh ;->) as a floor? That way, you could do a couple of openable sets of Curtains for privacy...or even with a semi-circle or demi-hexagon, you could use the round rod Curtains that don't move, but are at least Floor-based items (with a "Rounded Tile" for a floor, with half of it buried in the wall). ;->

Hmm...there's this: Vale Briarwood Corner Bar; make a couple of those, slap 'em together to make more of a semi-circle, and just use that as a base to fancy 'em up a bit?

Or...one of the Canopy Beds from the Marketplace, partially buried in the wall(s), with appropriate-colored Stairs or whatever as low walls around it, but have the "posh" part of the base still showing a little? :)

I don't know if those Beds actually have a solid "floor" to them, but if they don't, "Rounded" Tiles to the rescue. ;)

Uwk
    Hartsmith likes this.
  3. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I looked at one a few years ago to buy for a home. What I remember is that the audience part has stairs down both sides of the seating. While the seating does narrow towards the stage, it doesn't come to a point.
  4. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

The first player's I went into to visit turned out to be totally empty so I tried ones that were published, all five of them. None attempted a theater balcony. :(

The round Lion's Mane Counter was my first thought. After positioning it, people climbing the audience stairs could see its solid. Would look awful having half their bodies trapped in it.

The Blue Marble Round Counter would look awesome. I only have one, though. None currently up for sale, and Neriak CF isn't until September. Just as well because I would need two for each box in order to make it big enough for the pair I want in one box.

I totally forgot about the corner bar. Great suggestion, so I crafted two. Aaand didn't like the way it looked for the specific motife I'm going for (the character may have been born in Kelethin, but she's turned into such a mournful dirge ever since her boyfriend dumped her. That's why she moved to Neriak, lol.

That idea didn't work, but it did get me to look at the counters that I can craft. Surprise! The large fancy mahogany counter is the perfect size for two or even three patrons, and it the shape even matches the visual patterns on the opera walls on top of very similar colors.
    I liked the posh bed idea. Just spent the money on one of the "balcony" (really just a lanai, too small) that is available from the marketplace, so can't give it a test to see how it would look.

It is a small theater. Any narrowing is very minimal so the effect is mostly just with the curved seating design.

When I first looked at the opera house, I wasn't impressed, and just couldn't visualize what I could do with it. The purchase came about only after accidentally buying station cash on my ftp account (one digit difference from a sub'd acct). With this froglok dirge, it just felt right for her. Still took over three years and an transfer from the one account to the sub before any real ideas began forming.

Thanks to uwk's suggestions, and a tour through published opera houses, I can now say that Waldorf and Statler are safely up in their private balcony; booing and heckling the dragons that are sleeping instead of dancing. Beauregard the Janitor is sleeping on the job, but the gnome, Bunson Honeydew, is selling freshly crafted concoctions in the concessions stand up front, and there is a celebrity in the audience stealing the show. Then what else would you expect from Bruce Campbell, aka Replica King of Thieves.

Love it when a good homage idea comes together to inspire me.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

But what race would Beaker be...another Gnome? :)

Uwk
    Geroblue and Hartsmith like this.
  6. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

Erudite? LOL, who knows.
    I am just thrilled to finally figure out what type of bird Gonzo is and why all his friends always look "stoned". Gonzo is "A Tamed Cockatrice", mwahahaha. (disclaimer: joke is based on the dnd interpretation of that mythical creature's stony gaze of petrification)
    Can't believe I'm finding ways to incorporate the many different pets from past expansions. "Your Future Tombstone"? With Macabre Black Roses and a "love" note from Miss Piggy; she's declining the invitation to see her show but sent some treats for the dragons to help them relax before the show.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Okay, now I gotta see this place; is it open for sightseeing yet? :D

(And personally, I always thought Gonzo was an alien, but no reason he couldn't be both... ;->)

Uwk
    who now understands why he's attracted to chickens :)
    Hartsmith likes this.