Need Help With Live 2014

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Almee, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Almee Well-Known Member

As it turns out, my medical assistant will be able to go with me to Live 2014 so I've reserved our room, bought my ticket to Live 2014, rented a car, and bought airline tickets. When I signed up I had no idea what my health would be so I didn't know whether to sign up for handicapped access. It turns out I will need it so how do I go about arranging that?

Also, do I need to buy a ticket for my aid? She knows nothing about the game and is only there to assist me. I'm signed up for one brunch with the Devs and I bought the expensive ticket that I think covers all but some special events that cost extra like the brunch. I'm sorry I don't know these things but this will be my first Live event.

It has been about 20 years since I've done anything like this so I'm wondering if someone has a list of things we need to take for the convention. I know absolutely nothing about flying since 9/11 except that it is complicated. Does anyone have advice they can give me about what to expect flying from BWI (Baltimore, MD) to Las Vegas?

I especially need to know if I require some sort of documentation for all the hardware in me. I've read lots of scary stories about handicapped people having a rough time getting through security.

The use of a car is another real problem for me. Do we really need a car or is there a shuttle from the airport to the hotel? I really don't want to drive unless there is no choice.

I'm sorry if I've posted this on the wrong forum. I looked over the forums and there isn't one for Live 2014. Many of you, on Test, know my health issues, so this seemed to be the logical place to go for help.

Thanks for any help you can give me. Attending Live 2014 is probably the second most scary thing I've done in my life. I'm hoping that, if I am well prepared, this will be the first of many Live events to come for me.
  2. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

Hiya! I can't answer most of this, however, I can handle a tiny bit, and point you in some directions for other bits.

I PMed Luperza for the first couple paragraphs, since they're things SOE needs to respond to. As far as flying, especially with hardware, etc., I'd contact the airline directly in advance. Make sure to take note of the folks who respond to you, and it probably couldn't hurt to print out the correspondence and bring it with you the day of your flight.

I'd also personally recommend that you have your meds in your carryon (properly labeled and all that jazz). Should the luggage monster, which attacks rarely, but always at the worst time, give you fits, those are going to be what you will need with you the most.

There is zero need for a car. I don't remember if Planet Hollywood has a shuttle or not (their website should be able to answer that), but if not, there are long lines of taxis at the airport (including vans, handicapped accessible stuff, etc) waiting to take you where you need to go. You really do NOT want to deal with the insanity that is Vegas traffic on your own unless you absitively posilutely have to. :D

As to what else to pack, make sure your clothes are comfy. Packing a few snacks to tide you over between meals is handy, but there are small ABC stores in the mall around Planet Hollywood, so if you find you need something once there, it should be relatively close. (If you're running out of oomph, you're likely to be able to find someone headed thataway to pick something up for you, too, I suspect.)

It will be loud, it will be a LOT of folks just hanging out and chatting in between panels, etc. Some of us are prone to sore throats and losing our voices, if we tend to be the sort who talk more with our keyboards than our voices the rest of the year, so I tend to pack throat lozenges as well. As someone with iffy health (fibromyalgia, etc.), I also tend to start with immune boosters (echinacea and oil of oregano are my personal regimen) a couple days before the convention, and keep on them until a couple days after the con.

All right, so much for my "tiny", but wordy, contribution! Can't wait to see you in Vegas!

~Mum
  3. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Contact your airline and they will discuss handicapped policies with you, per their company guidelines. That way they can best serve your special needs and you can know what to expect. A lot of it depends on your handicap and diagnosis/limitations, but rest assured the airlines do make allowances like extra boarding time and help arriving at your proper gate. Are you flying direct or is there a lay over and plane change?

I am not sure of your illness or finances but sometimes it is worth upgrading your class seat ticket to one with more legroom and better restroom access. The metal used in joint and bone surgery is a special type, it does not get flagged as dangerous on scans. Pack your pills in your carry on, and you can only bring one sandwich baggie (ziploc type) of liquid things on board. They may only be three ounces of liquid each or less. So a two ounce hand sanitizer gel, one ounce pot of hand cream, a lip gloss, and a three ounce container of face lotion or sunscreen is all fine. Just stick it all into your ziploc sandwich bag and at security, pull the bag out so it can more easily be inspected.

As for Vegas? Taxi. It's not expensive and beats waiting on a hotel shuttle crammed with cranky and tired travelers and their mounds of luggage.
  4. Almee Well-Known Member

Wow, thank you so much for the advice. Those are the type of things I need to know.

I know about handicapped accommodations with the airline. It is the convention itself I need to know about. I remember something about letting them know if I need special accommodations but I don't remember who I am supposed to contact. I tried asking on FB but didn't get a response so maybe they are still working on that or they missed my post.

Do you all know if we can bring food on the plane? I am scared silly we might get stuck on the tarmac and I have to eat every hour. How do we get fluids if we can't take them on board with us? Do they offer water?

I've also read, I think, that we have to take off our shoes? Is that even the case with slip-ons?

Gack, I feel like I'm taking a trip to another planet (no pun intended). Do you know if they have a nice swimming pool at Planet Hollywood? I've been to hotels where they were pretty icky.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

For water, you can take an empty water bottle with you through security and fill it up on the other side.
  6. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Or you can buy water once you are through security. There are little airport restaurants and snack and magazine shops up and down the concourse.

You can bring food onboard if you like, chips, crackers (non liquid foods) from home or buy them in the airport. See what food/meal your flight is serving, too.
  7. Luperza Community Manager

Hi there!

Can you please email us at soelive@soe.sony.com?

Thanks Almee!