Need help with class/server/playstyle.

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by meshi06, Dec 12, 2012.

1. meshi06 New Member

hello i just downloaded EQ2 and wanted to know what class i should try and play. i like to support groups whether its tanking, healing, or buffing/debuffing. i mostly play solo because i have no friends so what would be best and also what server is noob friendly?
  2. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

Freeport has a huge population, including the spectacular me, but Antonia Bayle is also extremely good and new player friendly.
    As to classes... well, everyone will mention to try out some and play what you enjoy, but if you like solo-friendly support classes then you might want to look at a druid (warden or fury), an enchanter (illusionist or coercer), or a crusader (shadowknight or paladin). All of those classes are awesome to play, can solo just about anything, and for the most part people love them in groups.
    Scout classes are a blast, and my personal favourite, but can be tricky to the new player when figuring out directionals and chains.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  3. Ivory Member

Going to start off with a little advise... Since your just starting out I won't recommend a Tank or Healer as your first character. Don't get me wrong they are extremely fun to play and solo very well. But if your seriously wanting to get into groups and learn the fights, I will recommend a Support/DPS class to learn the fight mechanics.

With that said if you really want to play a tank or healer then play one. When you get a chance to group, don't be afraid to tell them you are still learning. Most players are more patient with an inexperienced tank or healer if they know that before the fighting starts.

I hope you enjoy playing!!
  4. meshi06 New Member

okay so i will try one of those servers and maybe have to buy a class... thanks both of you... one last question... what are the support classes?
  5. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

The pure support classes are the bards (dirge and troubador) and the enchanters (illusionist and coercer).
  6. meshi06 New Member

okay great thank you :) ... doh i swear i have a million questions sorry... what is a underplayed class in this game? will it be easier for me to find a guild/group playing that class?
  7. Ivory Member

Most Support classes are in high demand. Most people don't have the patience to learn how to effectively play them. They are not the fastest or easiest to level. They do not "put up the big numbers" so many players don't truly appreciate what they bring to the group until higher levels.
  8. Estred Well-Known Member

I can speak for my own server that Guk while smaller than it used to be has a great helpful bunch including probably the games largest Sarnak running around (he seriously is like 30-45ft tall) :D. Anyway FP has a high playerbase thats very spread out and AB has a somewhat friendly atmosphere but I tend to get ignored on my new monk just for asking simple questions... so sue me for being broke and new to the server.
  9. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Nobody on AB ignores a new player who is asking a question. The only reason anyone would ignore a broke new player would be if they were whining for free stuff. Without the whining, the crafter base on AB is one of the most generous group I've ever seen in any game - ever.
    Calthine likes this.
  10. Estred Well-Known Member

hehe, I asked if there were any lower level guilds willing to help someone get started on their feet. Quite a few times, got nothing. Last I checked asking to find a guild isn't "whining." Regardless maybe people ignore <lvl 10 players figure them to be spam-alts.
    I quoted a single experience that was a span of 1 hour or so of time... I could care less what people think, I just got a chuckle out of the "helpful" server ignoring a simple question. By the way I think your server-bias is showing just a tad much.

Not knocking the server (or you) but even the most helpful environments can have instances of neglect or cases of rudeness. I was pointing that out in a tongue-in-cheek methodology.
  11. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

...ok :) Guilty as charged :) New players aren't usually ignored, but if no one has an answer to your question they probably won't answer it with "gee, dunno". There are several guilds on AB that welcome new players and will help them out with getting started, they just didn't happen to spam their guild recruiting spiel while you were on, apparantly.
  12. Estred Well-Known Member

No hard feelings, I am used to the 1-90 solo grind. Done it on three toon's so far. I was on early morning (5-7 AM) I suppose that is the most likely cause... though the guild-spammer who didn't answer my tell was saddening. Cheers to ya :D.
  13. Regolas Well-Known Member

Play an inquisitor. Free class to play. Very desirable, healer.