Need advice on Laptop for EQ2

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by redwoodtreesprite, Jan 16, 2020.

1. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

I will be getting a laptop soon, and want to be able to get one that can handle EQ2.

I like to box 2 accounts, or play 2 accounts doing separate things. So that is very important.
    I may even sometimes play EQ and EQ2 at the same time, as I like to group with my son in EQ while doing assorted things in EQ2. Plus there may be another event like the dragon one someday, and I would want to have one account in one location and another account in another location.

My husband tells me Ryzen 5 notebooks with Vega 8 have better frame rates than Intel.I'm looking at a $500 range notebook that can later be used with a docking station for a larger monitor.
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Siren Well-Known Member

My Lenovo Y7000p-1060 works great for EQ2, even with 7-8 Chrome windows open, a media player cranking the tunes and MS Office going, too.

Hey, I'm a busy lady!

;)
    Xillean, Geroblue, Rosyposy and 3 others like this.
  3. Shady1 Member

Look up "Best CPU from 2004". Anything better than that will definitely run it, and alot of things worse than that as well.

Now look up "Best SINGLE CORE CPU". The best SINGLE CORE cpu is the best thing you can do for this game.

Anything better than that is a waste. This game, unlike MOST other video games on the planet even in that time period, was built to be primarily CPU intensive. Also, they didn't code it to utilize multiple cores. I think in RoK they did a half-*** approach and now a little bit of a second core is used for some things.

So yea. You could probably get a computer at the Salvation Army these days, that would run EQ2 on max settings.

The built in CPU graphics cards of today are stronger than the Stand Alone graphics cards of 2004, so you could most likely buy any laptop at wal mart and be fine.

I mean there is probably cases where it wouldn't run very well, like trying to install on one of those built for kids computers, leapfrog or whatever.

But if it runs Windows 10, and not some other version of Windows like Windows Tablet or Windows Mobile, you will be fine.
  4. Siren Well-Known Member

Hahahahaha Shady, Leapfrog! :D :p

But back on topic, you would definitely need 3D rendering of some sort, not a 2D-only laptop (and there are a lot of those still being sold like that today, so be careful!). You'd also want as much RAM as you can muster, being that EQ2 is zone-based and all, plus with the occasional memory leak cropping up here or there as well....
    Rosyposy likes this.
  5. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

You're going to want something like SpeedFan to set your fan speed and be alert to the fan stopping for any reason. The biggest issue I had when I was running a laptop and games is heat. There are "docking stations" that also have a fan under the laptop, those are really nice. Be sure you can identify the make and model of the GPU whether it's integrated or not. Without that, you're kind of lost, and try to find an NVIDIA because of the control panel of it. It gives you options you wouldn't have with Radeon.

Upgrade the memory when you have the cash. Keep it off when not in use. And try to tell Windows to stop hogging your internet connection in whatever way you can. I'm not sure if it would be good or not good to tell it you're on a "metered" connection. You'll have to look into it though.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  6. Siren Well-Known Member

Oh!

Quick fix for laptop heat; it's a little ghetto but it works suprisingly well. Use a wire cooling rack from your kitchen underneath your laptop (like you'd use to cool cookies just out of the oven). I got 2 of them for $1 ($.50 ea.) from the Dollar Tree store. This ventilates my laptop and keeps it from overheating remarkably well.

Yay! It pays to be cheap and lazy once in a while! :p
  7. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-laptop-buying-guide,5689.html https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...imum-system-requirements-to-run-EverQuest-II- Requirements for one box: memory ~1.4-2.1 GB RAM (and even a little more), one busy core. Keep in mind that you will perhaps need additional RAM for browser, about same size as for one box
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

My current desktop is actually a laptop motherboard in a small form factor case, with a 90w power adapter. The CPU speed is 1.6 GHz.

I have no video cards in it, only a chip. There is a slot for a video card, but even at $35, that will have to wait.

I did upgrade it from 4 gigs of regular ram to 8 gigs of regular ram.

Windows 10 takes about 1 gig of ram just for its processes.

I play EQ II fine, unless I go into a zone that has rain. It doesn't become a slide show, but it does stop movement from time to time. Sometimes at long intervals of around a minute, sometimes every 5 or so seconds.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Alarra Well-Known Member

I used to play on a lower spec laptop. I had 4 cores internal intel video card and 8 GB ram. I could run 4 instances of the game at once (with a little tweaking to the profile once I got over 2 instances).
  10. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Some of these wire cooling rack look quite suitable for two 120 mm fans to be attached to them from bottom, which inject air into laptop (but it require separate power supply). There are quite quiet models..
    Perhaps, if you play one box. Otherwise it will have to be overclocked with nitrogen..

Mean case when browser uses RAM and not hard drive or ssd. And it not enabled by default
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Inyuyasha Member

Rosyposy likes this.
  12. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

:confused: Curiously how you do it? I searched and didn't find how to start EQ1 in window. What do you need to click? Or what line should be added to one of client configuration files? In which? Which one? I was looking for an answer on EQ1 forum and could not find. Or did you play both EQi and EQii on two monitors at same time? Or did you just minimize EQi game in manager to switch to EQii? In such cases, you don't know answer :( $ 749.99 and $ 749.99! Yes, for difference in price, namely for 250 bucks, you can certainly find working laptop (on ebay) and upgrade RAM to 8 GB or even 16 GB, such that three boxes will fly on wings of wind. Yes it’s better to save for your guild..
    Breanna likes this.
  13. Inyuyasha Member

I would never ever go with the minimum specs for a game when choosing a machine. I am sure it would run but it would be in play-dough style graphics you need at least 2gb ram per session to run anything in the game and highly recommended to have at least 1-2gb of dedicated video ram per session. this would be for the normal settings in the game, not even high quality. I would also go with as close to 3ghz you can get... this game is very CPU intensive. My preference is an i7 but the i5 should be good too if you are only running 2 sessions.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/612852/acer-nitro-5-an515-53-52fa-156-laptop-computer---black

here is another machine that is at the 500 range but dont have an SSD and the video card is a 2 generations old which would still be good for this game ( I actually run that video card on a couple of my desktops and the game runs great)

hope this helps some
    Siren likes this.
  14. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

This has all been wonderful advice! Thanks to all. :)

I have had no problem launching EQ, or multiple EQ2s using the launchers. I do have them pinned to my taskbar. I switch between games using my taskbar. Depending on the game, there can be a moment of black screen then load when I switch between 2 different games, like between LOTRO and EQ2 . But I can also hear the sounds for all the games I have running, so I can hear when something is happening. Did this during the dragon event, though I don't recommend running three accounts at same time during such craziness and expect to move characters much ROFL.
    Siren and Rosyposy like this.
  15. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Right, don't run them full screen. EQ II blocks alt-tab out to desktop. I have spreadsheets to keep updated. Only way to do that, or look ups on the wiki, is to have a game screen size that leaves me access to the systray.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  16. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Ah, I should have mentioned I always do this in window mode.
    Siren and Rosyposy like this.
  17. teekung4533 New Member

Last week my appartment was burgled and all systems were taken. I need one steady reliable laptop just for games. I don't care for desktops anymore. super foam usa I was feeling secure with a really neat Asus F3Ja before this happened. Specs were great(2.00 Dual Core, 2046Ram, graphics 256Mb), but now I need another rig to make me playing all games as before and ofcourse a bit better as times have changed. I ask for some tips here, I don't care for ordinary desktop systems just laptops.
  18. TexasCop25 New Member

I know this is an old topic! I am looking into a laptop also, very limited budget. Would this laptop be ok for EQ2? Gateway Notebook 15.6" FHD Laptop, AMD Ryzen 5 3450U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Windows 10 Home, Blue, GWTN156-4BL
    AMD Ryzen™ 5 3450U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics (2.1GHz, Up to 3.50GHz)
  19. FuRiouSOne Well-Known Member

If its super cheat sure but I would recommend finding something with an actual dedicated GPU to play other games outside of eq2. You can find many deals with ryzen 5 + 1650/1660 GPU for $500.
    https://www.microcenter.com/product...ng-laptop-computer-platinum-collection-silver
    TexasCop25 likes this.