Mystics

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Berge, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Berge Member

So I decided last week to take advantage of the double XP and made a Mystic, got him to 95 and 342 AA's before time ran out. I must say I've had a blast playing him. Now who should I look to on eq2u for setups to make sure I picked the right AA's etc...? I liked to do DPS and still heal if need be.
  2. Arieste Well-Known Member

My process for finding a spec for a new class i've no clue how to play is this:

1. look up the top 10 guilds on raid progress (if you don't know who they are)
    2. look up the toons of appropriate class on eq2u - look for people of "regular" rank, so not alts or apps.
    3. compare 4-5 people from different guilds and look for similarities in set up.
    4. keep in mind that geared people may be foregoing AAs that give stats (i.e. CC, DPS, Haste, etc.) since they are capped from gear, so your choices may be slightly different.

once you've figure out some setup, test it out and THEN ask some mystics on your server "why do people spec this?" if you haven't figured it out yet.
  3. Berge Member

It's interesting that not many people play Mystics or won't offer any advice so far but I think I've got it figured out anyways.
  4. Malleria Well-Known Member

It hasn't been that long - give it time :)

That said, I agree with what was said above. Look for similarities between top level mystics, there's usually a good reason. But make sure you look closely at each AA before you buy it. Quite often, especially in the sub-class tree, people will throw points into useless abilities just to contribute towards the endlines. The best spec out there is the one you make yourself (with a little help ;) )
  5. Luzionist Active Member

Alot of players that did play mystics have stopped playing them as they are least loved of the healers right now, how to spec would be dictated on what you plan on spending your time doing
  6. Edith Member

Keep in mind that most mystics will keep multiple specs handy: raid heavy heals, raid dps, solo, etc. You should definitely look at multiple specs, but keep in mind what you will be doing and tailor it based on that. For example, it is not uncommon in raids for me to heal a mage group--not a typical role for a mystic--so my choices for that spec are different from a more traditional off-tank healing spec.

Personally, I like to check Amasc's specs periodically.
  7. Kiry Active Member

Max points in RoA and Mystic ritual, everything else is obvious, kinda thought that was too, it's not like there's a lot of choices.

Trial and error is the best way to learn, test stuff out and see how it works for you.
  8. Berge Member

Thanks for the info, Now is there a reason I can't get scared follower to be active with the DPS stance? Am I missing something
  9. Kiry Active Member

You can (not sure why you'd want to tho)
  10. Berge Member

Ok so Kiry maybe you can help me with this, what "until cancelled" buffs am I supposed to have active when I'm in DPS & vice versa for heals?
  11. Kiry Active Member

Not really sure what you're asking, there's really no reason not to have all your buffs on at all times I cannot see a reason why you'd cancel any of them, which makes me think you are simply confused about the 3 Litany of Combat abilities versus the Mystic offensive and defensive stances.

Mystic stances:
    Offensive/DPS Stance - Ravenous Protector
    Defensive/Heal Stance - Ritual of Protection

All priests can spend points in the SF tree to get Litany of Combat which gives you three separate abilities (Casting Expertise, Battle Prowess and Sacred Follower). If you read the description of those abilities (or Litany of Combat itself) you'll see they all suspend when in heal stance, you cannot maintain more than one of these abilities at a time when in O-stance anyway, nor would you want to since Sacred Follower is a junk pet spell you can leave off your hotbar Casting expertise as the name sugests is for spell casting classes and Battle Prowess is for melee/CA's - as a mystic you'll want the latter obviously.

Hope this helps clarify things.
  12. Berge Member

Yup Kiry you got that right :) thanks for the clarification :)