My voice chat cuts out for everyone, but I can hear everyone fine

Discussion in 'Voice Chat Support' started by ARCHIVED-Luthorn, Sep 25, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Luthorn Guest

I've been having a frustrating issue the last couple of months or so. It may have started with the Skyshrine GU, but I'm not 100% sure.
    The problem is my voice chat breaks up badly occasionally when I'm trying to talk to others. However, I can hear them just fine. I don't see any internet connection issues, such as packet loss in the game itself (lagging combat arts/spells, warping, etc. - everything is fine.) Pings are good, and speed tests are good (I'm at 20 mbit down, ~1.0 mbit up).
    What makes this tough to troubleshoot is there seems to be no pattern when it happens. I can be talking in voice chat for the entire session, and people can hear me fine. Then, all of a sudden, they say "you're breaking up really bad..." and they sometimes imitate it (sometimes for their own amusement, heh). All they can hear are quick subsecond spurts of my voice with something like a second of silence between. In other words, my voice chat to them is unintelligible.
    Things I've tried to remedy: remove router from setup and go straight to cable modem, use a different mic, updated various drivers including video, NIC, and chipset, and updated motherboard BIOS. I also tried playing with mic volume level settings. It didn't help either.
    Here's the required info on my setup:
    Issue: My outbound voice chat occasionally breaks up for everyone in the channel. I can hear them fine.

Device name: Logitech USB Mic
    Device Driver version: (USB Audio Device) 6.1.7601.17514

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Sound card: Realtek High Definition Audio (onboard sound with Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard)
    Sound Card driver: 6.0.1.6235
    I know the sound driver is an older driver but it worked fine before. Also, the later Realtek drivers appear to be Windows 8 related. I'm willing to try that if anyone thinks that will work, but the problem is people can't hear me. Sound on my end is fine, so I'm not sure what a new sound driver would buy me. The mic goes through a USB connection.
    Any suggestions are appreciated!
  2. ARCHIVED-TSR-AlexS Guest

Borandor@Everfrost wrote:
    I'd first make sure the sound card drivers are up to date. After this, follow the instructions below to possibly fix your issue!
    Make sure you are not running any programs on your windows taskbar. If the problem persists, you should try running your system under a clean boot as this will prevent any hidden programs from loading.

To disable background programs:

1. Open the RUN command by pressing the Windows Key + R
    2. type in "msconfig" (without the quotes)
    3. Press OK
    4. Select the STARTUP tab.
    5. Click the DISABLE ALL button.
    6. Hit apply and then OK. Restart the computer and try the game again.

If you are still experiencing the same issue, please reply back.

Run the game as administrator and let me know if it fixes your problem.
  3. ARCHIVED-Luthorn Guest

Sorry it took me so long to reply.
    I finally installed the latest sound driver, and it is so far, so good with my voice not breaking up for everyone else...
    However, tonight I had a different problem. I was in voice chat no problem, but then all of a sudden I got thrown out of the voice channel and started getting error #1071 when I tried to reconnect. It didn't matter what voice channel I tried. I should add my friend down the street from me (same ISP) got the same error. No one else in group/guild had the issue. I suspect a router on the ISP's route to the voice chat server died, but wanted to check here if that could be the cause. FWIW, I tried leaving the game and re-entering - no dice.
    Thanks in advance!
  4. ARCHIVED-TSR-AlexS Guest

Borandor@Everfrost wrote:
    What exact model is your router if I may ask?