Mount training linked to merc training?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Rhodris, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

As title to thread states, mount training seems to be linked somehow to merc training. A few times now (different characters), I have checked the mount training, see that I need to train to the next level so click the "Train now" button, only to be given a red warning message in the chat box that I am already training that mount. Which I am not.

The only way around this seems to be to then check the merc's training. Invariably, I need to start training the merc to the next level (whichever it is), and as soon as I get their training underway, I get a message in the chat box that training on my mount has stopped and I need to train it again!

So my question is - how are the two linked, but should they not be separate? Also, could it be due to both training periods finishing at the same time that this happens? It took me a while to figure out how to get around it (there was no message advising me that the merc training had stopped, so I had to go looking for it - I probably missed it when logging in the first time after the training period, and it didn't come back).

Edit: Tenses - they are the bane of my grammatical life!
    Cyrrena likes this.
  2. Bhayar Well-Known Member

First, let me say that what you are describing is not something I have personally experienced myself on any of my 15 toons. I have had no issues that suggest either are linked, nor do I get messages one way or the other. Recently, given the the new mercs/mounts training, I put it all on an Excel spreadsheet so I didn't drive myself crazy monitoring it, haha. Do you use a custom UI? I use DarqUI myself, but if there's a messaging ability for merc/horse training for this UI, I've not seen it. Not sure what to tell you at this point, but I'd be curious is anyone is experiencing what your are.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  3. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

No, I use the default UI. It seems that I can't get the mount to train unless the merc is also.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  4. Finora Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with merc training as far as I've seen. I zone and that seems to fix it without doing anything else.

Mount training is really buggy. Sometimes I'm getting the you can't train your mount because you are in a zone where they aren't allowed (standing on the docks of Antonica while sitting on my mount this morning for instance).

Maybe there is a merc link, but I've got characters who haven't had their mercs summoned in weeks (or don't use one at all) that are training mounts just fine.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Like the others, I have not personally experienced this issue either. I have a couple that have not even gone and gotten their first merc that can train mounts just fine.

I wonder if this is just some random phantom message, maybe something they were going to do for the expansion, started it and then decided to discard it? Maybe something they are going to put into the game but it shouldn't be in there yet and somehow you became afflicted by it? I have seen some odd random messages at times that I cannot figure out where they are being triggered or why or what they mean but, in this case, it sounds like you are being impacted.

Have you tried dismissing the mount, dismissing the merc, resummoning the mount, and maybe summoning a merc that has never been trained at all, like perhaps a throwaway you get in town that you do not intend to use? Of course you would have to summon the merc first so that it is showing as the last used and then dismiss it before resummoning the mount. Have you tried another mount that you do not normally use and see if that is demanding that you begin training on a merc as well before you can start training on it? Just a thought that it may be specific to your current mount/merc combination.

Just throwing things out here that you might be able to try to see if you can track down what is happening, then you can send a /bug and a /petition with the most information to help DB help you. I wish I had some help to give you, but this has not happened to me and I haven't heard anybody else talking about it.
    Breanna and Rhodris like this.
  6. Breanna Well-Known Member

Nadda here too no problems with training mercs and mounts at the same time. My training usually ends on different days so there training isn't done at the same time so not sure about that. But yes they should be two totally different training and not linked.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  7. Kaid Member

Given what you describe and that fact that it is reproducible at least in your case, that sounds a lot like a bug to me.

There's good reason to suspect a bug here given that what you report should not be happening. The fact that others above have not seen it does not mean it isn't a software issue. I say that because not one reported doing exactly what you are doing which is probably exactly what needs to be done to cause this bug to rear its ugly little head.

I would report this as a bug to Daybreak and clearly explain the circumstances under which it seems that it can be reproduced in your case, namely by attempting to train your mount at a time when both the mount and the merc are due for training. Even if it only happens sometimes, that does not mean it isn't a bug. An error is an error and this one shouldn't be happening so far as I would I guess.

These systems being so similar probably do share code so I can see how it might be easy to miss a case like this which under the covers is more complex than is appropriate to get into here. I think the developers would be able to zero in on this pretty easily with the info you have to provide since testing it should not be difficult on their end as well as a quick review of the relevant code if they feel it warranted.
    Cyrrena and Rhodris like this.
  8. Kaid Member

By the way, maybe they already know about this since if all it takes to make this happen is what you are doing it has probably been happening a lot already to other people too. The thing is, most players don't visit the forums so you'd not know this just reading stuff here. The developers don't know it either without direct feedback though is the problem.
    Rhodris likes this.